BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Since buying Jamaica and ticket to ride rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
They have been played alot and our family likes them. So now we want more like those. So let's hear some recommendations please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
They have been played alot and our family likes them. So now we want more like those. So let's hear some recommendations please.

Hi Tom,

Can you provide any more details? Perhaps ages of family members who play? What you liked about the games? Are you looking for something deeper? Similar playing?

Really hard to make a recommendation with so little to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Becker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm,

Could these be a fit ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Jamaica and Ticket to Ride are near the top of the Family Game category here on BGG. Here's the whole list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgame?sort=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
papagamer72 wrote:
Tulsatom wrote:

Hi Tom,

Can you provide any more details? Perhaps ages of family members who play? What you liked about the games? Are you looking for something deeper? Similar playing?

Something a lil deeper gorgeous graphics take that game play be the first to get back to where u started cards and dice rolling and a cool theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
papagamer72 wrote:
Tulsatom wrote:

Hi Tom,

Something a lil deeper gorgeous graphics take that game play be the first to get back to where u started cards and dice rolling and a cool theme

How many people normally play?

I can recommend a few, but they may not work depending upon who is playing.

King Of Tokyo

Survive! Escape From Atlantis

Takenoko

Tokaido

+1 Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to Ticket to Ride would be Alhambra and Splendor.

Jamaica is still fairly unique, in my opinion, but you might enjoy Camel Up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a big family (7 potential players and 2 more that need a year or two more to play with us) so I need big games that play quick but can keep interest over multiple games.

Personally, I love Jamaica. Ticket to Ride is fun, but I think New York 1901 will beat it handily.

Tobago is a great game, which we love. It plays quick and is easy to learn and there is a TON of strategy. I highly recommend it.

Pandemic is also great. You all work together to save the world... yeah, its stressful, but you win and lose together, so no fighting! I would say 13+ for this, but my 11 year old can handle it.

Formula D is a huge hit, the kids play it everyday if they can. Racing game for up to TEN players. It gets crazy and multiplies the fun the more you have.

King of Tokyo/New York is quick, easy to learn, and fun. You can bust out 2-3 games in an hour if you all know the game well.

Zooloretto/Aquaretto are great. Again, kids love this and I really like it, too. Colorful, and a great theme. Good strategy and critical thinking. And you'll flip out when someone steals that last elephant you need. ARG!!!

Carcassone is a classic, anyone can pick it up, my 7 year old can easily play this. Can't miss with this one, never found anyone who didn't at least like it.

I am looking forward to Fresco and Alhambra coming to my door soon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D
Escape
Survive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Deep Sea Adventure offers most of everything you mentioned except the cards. It's also cute and highly portable.

Your family might also enjoy some take-that card games like The Red Dragon Inn or Cutthroat Caverns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stone Age and Takenoko are both great games.
Survive! is fantastic, but is very cut-throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Alhambra (I always call this advanced Ticket to Ride)
+1 Splendor (I wouldn't say it's a deeper game than the other two but def a great game)
+1 Pandemic
+1 Carcassonne (This along with Ticket to Ride was our first two real board games)
+1 Formula D

I know you said you want "more like this" but I'm going to take this as you wanting more quality board games that you can play as a family.

With that in mind:

7 Wonders
Dixit
Dominion or Marvel: Legendary
Suburbia

Some fun smaller games:

Red7
Arboretum
Coup
Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Stone Age and Takenoko are both great games.
Survive! is fantastic, but is very cut-throat.

Tankenoko is gorgeous. And it will play well with children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gio palumbo
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
id check out new york 1901.
I would also definatly pick up different Ticket to ride maps because they all play slightly differently

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Snow Tails as a racing game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have many good suggestions above. If you like the theme of Jamaica and want something with great graphics and a bit of take-that, look at Black Fleet. The big, chunky ships look awesome and the play is lots of piratey fun. It's a wonderful fit for a family that can poke at each other and not pout about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has mentioned Tobago yet so I will. I think it fits right in with the games you mentioned. We really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
No one has mentioned Tobago yet so I will. I think it fits right in with the games you mentioned. We really enjoy it.

OOP and tough to find at a decent price. An ok game but definitely not replayable enough to pay 60 or 70 bucks for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.