Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: What are the exact rules on delivering cubes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any specifics, like traveling only once using each link or something like that.


If not could I move from B to C back to B and then deliver to A if I had a 3 train?

Even if this isn't allowed can I move through the same city if I use a different link?

So I leave B to C to D which has a direct link to B and from there to A having a 4 train. Legal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in the rules.

No, you cannot use the same link twice in a delivery. So no looping and no hopping back and forth.

You also can't move through the same city twice.

So no, B->C->D->B->A is not a legal delivery.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
Is there any specifics, like traveling only once using each link or something like that.


If not could I move from B to C back to B and then deliver to A if I had a 3 train?

Even if this isn't allowed can I move through the same city if I use a different link?

So I leave B to C to D which has a direct link to B and from there to A having a 4 train. Legal?


No and no.

A legal delivery must meet at least the following criteria (someone please let me know if I missed any):

* The first link in the chain must be your own (subsequent links may belong to others, but each person scores 1 per link used)
* The links used for the delivery must be contiguous/consecutive
* The cube must be delivered to a city of matching color
* You cannot pass through a city of the color being delivered
* You can only deliver over a series of links less than or equal to your train size (i.e. a "3" train can only deliver across 3 links)
* You cannot use the same link twice for a single delivery
* You cannot pass through the same city twice for a single delivery


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
KronikAlkoholik wrote:
Is there any specifics, like traveling only once using each link or something like that.


If not could I move from B to C back to B and then deliver to A if I had a 3 train?

Even if this isn't allowed can I move through the same city if I use a different link?

So I leave B to C to D which has a direct link to B and from there to A having a 4 train. Legal?


No and no.

A legal delivery must meet at least the following criteria (someone please let me know if I missed any):

* The first link in the chain must be your own (subsequent links may belong to others, but each person scores 1 per link used)
* The links used for the delivery must be contiguous/consecutive
* The cube must be delivered to a city of matching color
* You cannot pass through a city of the color being delivered
* You can only deliver over a series of links less than or equal to your train size (i.e. a "3" train can only deliver across 3 links)
* You cannot use the same link twice for a single delivery
* You cannot pass through the same city twice for a single delivery




Thank you

What I needed, is this clear from the rulebook or from some FAQ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KronikAlkoholik wrote:


Thank you

What I needed, is this clear from the rulebook or from some FAQ?[/q]


It's in the Railroad Tycoon rulebook. Railroad Tycoon was the original version of Railways of the World, before it was republished and changed. The goods cube rules have not changed.

Everything I said is in those rules on page 7 under the section "Deliver Goods Cube."

I did miss one detail which is that you cannot deliver a cube to another city without delivering it (however, there is an exception to this for Fuel Depots in some expansions). Otherwise, I think I just paraphrased what's in the rulebook.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nik holliday
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Glasgow City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I`m misinterpreting this, but the rules state that:
...a cube may be moved along links owned by other players, who will collect the points for such movement.
This rule appears to be quite clear in that if you use other players` lines, only they collect the points; the points aren`t shared as they are in Steam/Age Of Steam, in which the equivalent rule is:
...Each opponent whose track you used alsogets one point per link used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Parker
England
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nik,

I do not understand your last comment as in my versions of Steam/Age of Steam no one scores twice for a link.

The person owning the line is the only one who scores for its use.

In Steam (Track Points) it states you score 1 track point for each completed link of YOUR track that the cube was moved along. Each opponent whose track you used gets 1 track point per link of his/her that you used. So if you move a cube 5 links and you use 3 of your own and 2 of an opponent, you only score 3 points, not 5 points as your statement seems to be saying. Your opponent scores 2 points.

I do not have the Age of Steam rules in front of me, but, I am sure they are the same.

Sorry if I have misunderstood you comment and this is how you are playing the games.

Gordon

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nikh158 wrote:
Maybe I`m misinterpreting this, but the rules state that:
...a cube may be moved along links owned by other players, who will collect the points for such movement.
This rule appears to be quite clear in that if you use other players` lines, only they collect the points; the points aren`t shared as they are in Steam/Age Of Steam, in which the equivalent rule is:
...Each opponent whose track you used alsogets one point per link used.
The wording could be tighter. What is meant is that more than one player can score track points with a given delivery (hence the word "also") Each player whose links are part of a delivery will get track points for their portion but the active player only gets point for his links not the others. Study the example in Steam carefully - particularly where the points are credited to the income tracks.

There are differences between RotW and Steam regarding whose link the delivery must start on, and how many opponents links can be in a legal delivery, but that's another discussion. No-one ever gets more than one point per link in any of these games...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
It's in the Railroad Tycoon rulebook. Railroad Tycoon was the original version of Railways of the World, before it was republished and changed. The goods cube rules have not changed.

Everything I said is in those rules on page 7 under the section "Deliver Goods Cube."


It's also on page 5 of the RotW rulebook where it explicitly states "When delivering a goods cube, the cube cannot pass through the same city twice, nor may it travel along the same link twice".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.