Subject: Play WITHOUT boards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few missions now and since the fifth mission I have forgone both B-17 boards, map and all the counters and have been just keeping notes. I found the boards and counters to be clunky and in some cases redundant. I found they took me out of the moment and that simple note keeping didn't. Also, I can play this way anywhere, like my couch. So it got me wondering if I'm the only one that does this? I'm curious to know.

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just my opinion, but that sounds boring. Without the board and cards, you're ripping the theme right out of the game and playing an old text-only online RPG type game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny because that's how I feel about the other way. I felt messing with all the other stuff took me out of the theme. Just using notes let's me use my imagination more. I don't know... Maybe because it doesn't feel like a BOARD game to me.

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's fair. To me, this is a game that would be absolutely brilliant as a tablet app. You could eliminate a lot of the bookkeeping and immerse yourself in the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily use the board with the image of the bomber and the cards with the fighters. I take notes and can "fly" through missions that way. All the counters just slow things down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
That's fair. To me, this is a game that would be absolutely brilliant as a tablet app. You could eliminate a lot of the bookkeeping and immerse yourself in the theme.

The bookkeeping and puttering about with your men and the chits IS the game. Once you start taking away and streamlining a game like this, it quickly becomes a reduction to absurdity. An app? You could calculate out everything so that no human interaction is necessary other than an occasional choice of which interceptor to engage. You could play all 25 missions in less than a minute. Once you've done that, what's the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gingell
United Kingdom
Shelfanger
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not use the boards, but I do use player aids including mission sheets with enough space to make notes and enough detail to record everything needed in the game.
I sometimes use miniatures if it is going to be a long mission

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2453889/b-17-queen-skies

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2453888/b-17-queen-skies

I play B-17 Campaign with other players,

Try B-17F group, the 281st and 509th if you want to play weekly,
can send you details if interested.

Here is an example of our latest mission to Munich - Disaster

http://509th-vbw.proboards.com/thread/703/mission-86-munich-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the offer. I think it may be a little more involved then what I want but I will certainly keep this in mind. I AM however vary interested in the other two images you showed. That radial layout looks great. I may like using that. Is it available for download?

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gingell
United Kingdom
Shelfanger
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will send it to you, can't remember where I downloaded it from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Much appreciated.

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
I play just by keeping notes. I even play with pre-generated dice rolls.

Why? Well, laying out all those maps is pretty hard in economy class, I can tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tate
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am also plagued by a lack of space to play. Instead, I created various spreadsheets from the rules and tables, providing computer-generated facsimiles of all records and also created an abstract version of the defensive gunnery chart for combat purposes.

I have been able to incorporate dice generators into my workbook.

With one press of a button, I can find out whether my ship is attacked. With the next press, I can see the size of the wave of enemy fighters. With the next presses, I can see their attack angle and the quality of the pilot.

If the enemy gets through, I can quickly find out where my B-17 has been hit and how badly it has been damaged. It saves a lot of time trawling through a lot of tables.

I also created a layered strategic map in PaintShop Pro so I can mark my flight paths and how far my plane has gone so I can get an idea where combat is taking place.

I do not feel I am missing out on anything because I have not physically rolled a dice or have been fishing about for a specific damage chit. I only found this game a few years ago so I don't have any nostalgic memories of the 1980s.

I would rather imagine the roar of the engines, listen to the frantic messages over the intercom and hear the chatter of 50-cals to stay in the feel of it than have to keep stopping to find where I left my dice and pore through tables to find I have to roll some dice again.

That was the only way to play it back in 1983. This is 2015 and thanks to computers and the internet, this game lives on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gingell
United Kingdom
Shelfanger
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy, any chance of putting some of that material in files, so we can have a look.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy Tate wrote:
With one press of a button, I can find out whether my ship is attacked. With the next press, I can see the size of the wave of enemy fighters. With the next presses, I can see their attack angle and the quality of the pilot.

Why not take it to the next step and click once to see if your plane completed its mission successfully? Then optimize it further so you can see if you made it all 25 missions or not. "You were shot down on Mission 7. Try again!" or "You made it! All 25 missions completed."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Riker
United States
Ionia
Michigan
flag msg tools
Where did you get all the littler planes? I've been wanting to do something with miniatures but can't seem to find all the models in the same scale. TIA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gingell
United Kingdom
Shelfanger
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The planes are from http://www.tumblingdiceuk.com/and are really good value.

The decals for the planes are from http://domsdecals.com/

Oh boy will you have fun with 1/600 decals, I know I did shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Bocaling
United States
Hayward
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keyboy wrote:
Hi Andy, any chance of putting some of that material in files, so we can have a look.

cheers

Count me in, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Tate
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow. Thanks for the interest, guys.

For those who are not so keen, I will stress that the computer does not take away the decisions that the player has to make. The player still has to decide which turret or gun is providing defensive fire from which angle of attack.

It is a bit rough and ready and not honed around the edges, but it does work. I hope I am not treading on many toes as I have included various other community add-ons in my workbooks. For instance, I include a calculator to work out Peckham points and have a copy of the injury location table amongst other things.

I will have to compile a set of instructions but I will do my best to have something up soon. I can't promise when as the Domestic Theatre of Operations can be demanding at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.