3 Posts

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Warfighter Stealth House Rules... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Wallace
msg tools
mb
I have only gotten a few plays with the game, but one thing kind of bothers me about the game play. I understand that the game is essentially about action and engaging targets and trying to survive long enough to complete your objective. What bothers me is the stealth rules. I kind of wish that the game had more of a 'Tears of the Sun' approach as opposed to always a 'Blackhawk Down' approach. So this brings me to my question: Do any of you have any house rules that you employ to get that "I am silently skulking around avoiding baddies and only taking them down with stealth attack" feeling? I have the first three expansions, including the 'Stealth' pack... also, if I am missing something rule-wise, please let me know. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try such an approach with some skills like Evasion or Ghost and possibly Stealthy or Stealth Combat, even Hunter may be useful if you can afford it. The disadvantage is that it is quite expensive resourcewise, so it may be usable for multiple soldiers only during a campaign. Also there is the Ghilie Suit from the 5th expansion pack (Speedball).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
rwallacegd2 wrote:
I have only gotten a few plays with the game, but one thing kind of bothers me about the game play. I understand that the game is essentially about action and engaging targets and trying to survive long enough to complete your objective. What bothers me is the stealth rules. I kind of wish that the game had more of a 'Tears of the Sun' approach as opposed to always a 'Blackhawk Down' approach. So this brings me to my question: Do any of you have any house rules that you employ to get that "I am silently skulking around avoiding baddies and only taking them down with stealth attack" feeling? I have the first three expansions, including the 'Stealth' pack... also, if I am missing something rule-wise, please let me know. Thanks!

That's an interesting challenge, rwallacegd. Tonight or tomorrow I'll try to put together an "all-stealth" deck designed for optimal stealth and see if I can get through a mission only doing stealth attacks for kills using the usual rules.

I think, just from a gut-level reaction, that the idea of the game is to give you a more "cinematic" and specifically "kinetic" feel, that you're going into an area that is actively resisting, rather than raising an alarm. But... what you propose has merit, so here's an off-the-cuff take on how you might be able to simulate it:

DRAFT PROPOSAL FOR A STEALTHIER WARFIGHTER EXPERIENCE

Get a token or a piece of paper to indicate "Hostile Forces Alerted" or "Not Alerted". At the beginning of a mission, set the token to "Not Alerted".

Set-up for the mission as normal.

Play per normal, except as long as the enemy forces are "not alerted", the initial Hostiles number for each card is quartered (divided by four and rounded down). If a card's hostile number is reduced to 3 or less, place no hostile when placing the card.

For example, if, based on the number of mission points, you should have 6 points of hostiles, place 1 point of hostiles instead.

While enemy forces are "not alerted", do not perform the Reinforcement Draw and Attack steps of the Hostile turn (hostiles will still Close Range).

Hostile forces become "alerted" in the following circumstances:

1. Immediately after any non-stealth attack is conducted (a non-stealth attack is any attack which is not a stealth attack. Yes, this includes any and all explosives! ).
2. Immediately when a hostile card occupies the same location card as a soldier during the Attack step of the Hostile Turn (all hostiles attack immediately during this step if alerted in this way)
3. Immediately after two or more stealth attacks are conducted against the same card in the same Player Turn and both attacks fail to cover all reticles with EKIA makers. That is, if you attack a card twice or more with stealth attacks and fail to kill it completely on the second attack, your noise has triggered an alarm.

Once Hostile forces are alerted, play proceeds in the typical Warfighter manner.

Note that it is possible, with the right play of cards, to be able to "sneak" right past Hostiles, as long as you don't stop on the card with the hostile.

I think you would end up spending a lot of actions doing draw/discards to get the right Action card to get the best kill. I guess this would have the intended effect of making the mission longer, quieter and requiring a lot of patience. It would significantly alter the "feel" of the game, but if that's the experience you're looking for, more power to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.