Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I just played my first (solo) game in years and I enjoyed so so much. I have so many great memories of this game and I can't wait to play some more.

But I have two litte questions I just can't seem to find an answer for.
Let's say I have Sam Gamgee (1/9) and he gets wounded. What is his prowess then if he has to fight again?
I assume it has to be -2 because otherwise anything worse than being tapped wouldn't even affect him (or any other character with a base prowess of less than 3). Or is it just 0?

My german rulebook does not say anything about a minimum prowess when calculating the combat modifiers so I assume the prowess of a character can actually drop below 0. Is this correct?

The second question is also about combat. Is there something like an "automatic hit" when rolling a 12 (similar to a natural 20 in D&D / Pathfinder)? Or is it intentional that some weaker characters are not able to hit tougher enemies without proper equipment? It's way more thematic without those lucky strikes so I'd be fine with it either way

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
jhNz wrote:
Hey guys,

I just played my first (solo) game in years and I enjoyed so so much. I have so many great memories of this game and I can't wait to play some more.

Let's say I have Sam Gamgee (1/9) and he gets wounded. What is his prowess then if he has to fight again?
I assume it has to be -2 because otherwise anything worse than being tapped wouldn't even affect him (or any other character with a base prowess of less than 3). Or is it just 0?

My german rulebook does not say anything about a minimum prowess when calculating the combat modifiers so I assume the prowess of a character can actually drop below 0. Is this correct?

Prowess CAN and will drop below 0.

jhNz wrote:
The second question is also about combat. Is there something like an "automatic hit" when rolling a 12 (similar to a natural 20 in D&D / Pathfinder)? Or is it intentional that some weaker characters are not able to hit tougher enemies without proper equipment? It's way more thematic without those lucky strikes so I'd be fine with it either way

Thanks in advance

There is no such thing as an "automatic hit". A 12 is just a 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiet wrote:
jhNz wrote:
Hey guys,

Prowess CAN and will drop below 0.

jhNz wrote:
The second question is also about combat. Is there something like an "automatic hit" when rolling a 12 (similar to a natural 20 in D&D / Pathfinder)? Or is it intentional that some weaker characters are not able to hit tougher enemies without proper equipment? It's way more thematic without those lucky strikes so I'd be fine with it either way :)

Thanks in advance :)

There is no such thing as an "automatic hit". A 12 is just a 12.

Awesome, thank you for the clarifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Adriaens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Please note that a wounded character gets -2, not -3.
The -3 is only for an untapped character that decides not to tap against a strike.

So Sam would have a Prowess of -1 on the next strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Dragon wrote:
Please note that a wounded character gets -2, not -3.
The -3 is only for an untapped character that decides not to tap against a strike.

So Sam would have a Prowess of -1 on the next strike.

Oh yeah, that's true. Thanks for pointing this out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.