Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
So finally took the plunge on painting my set. Its been 24 hours since I primed them and the minis are still sticky.

I can scrape off the paint with a finger nail, but it takes a lot of pressure.

I thoroughly cleaned the minis.

I primed with Plasti-Kote Matt Black, for plastics.

Any similar issues with priming these? Any solutions? Am I better off stripping them and starting over? If so, which primer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that I can't be any help with regards to solving your current situation but if you do decide to go for the final option of stripping and respraying; I recommend Army Painter primers. I've used both black and white over the course of painting Descent and a couple of other games and never had a problem; I've even forgotten to wash a few models (oops) and they turned out fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Bert. I have used Army Painter as well, but though I would cut some cost. Maybe a mistake in the long run... Good to know that they work with Descent minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paint wouldn't cure so had to be stripped. Test layer of Army Painter looks good. I wish I had tested the other stuff. Live and learn....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
Paint wouldn't cure so had to be stripped. Test layer of Army Painter looks good. I wish I had tested the other stuff. Live and learn....

At least you knew that you should use a primer. Descent was my first ever attempt at painting; I started by being a complete cheapskate and trying to get away with not using primer.

I'm not going to lie, it works. More or less. But the effect of using a primer is HUGE! We all learn our lessons eventually, some of us just need to learn for ourselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had a similar problem with spray sealant years ago. Unfortunately I donot remember the brand used. I suspect that the problem was that I didn't shake the spray-can well enough to mix the chemicals.

This was for a home-made chess set that took hundreds of hours to hand-craft (using polymer clay) and prime and paint. It's been 10 years, and they are STILL sticky to the touch!!!

Smart of you to realize that you needed to strip and re-prime. There was no way I was doing that with my pieces without destroying them. Might try 3d scanning them and printing a copy...

Lesson is: don't cheap out, and try your primer or sealant on something before using it on your masterpiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, I have also read that some paints can react to materials. They then cannot cure completely and you are left with a malleable surface. I was worried that the paint had corroded my minis, but they look like they will be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus M
Sweden
flag msg tools
Soldier wrote:
So finally took the plunge on painting my set. Its been 24 hours since I primed them and the minis are still sticky.

I can scrape off the paint with a finger nail, but it takes a lot of pressure.

I thoroughly cleaned the minis.

I primed with Plasti-Kote Matt Black, for plastics.

Any similar issues with priming these? Any solutions? Am I better off stripping them and starting over? If so, which primer?

I use games workshop black and white primer sprays. I can start painting in less than 1 hour after they are primed.

Also shake your cans well before you spray. Or else you get a very bad result that is going to affect the way you paint and the overall finish of the product. And I'm speaking on an amateur level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.