James Barnes
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
Does anyone have advice on some nice apps that are engrossing to play.
Surgery is a pretty stressful time and my wife will be waiting for 4or5 hours with nothing to do.
Can you recommend your favorite apps.
We love board games so this is the best place to start.
However, if you know of another type of app we should consider...go for it below.

edit: Thank you very very much for all the responses.
This was extremely helpful, I will check them all out today and be ready to go for surgery tomorrow.
I have a few of these apps, but I really appreciated being reminded about several I had forgotten about.

Also, thank you for the non- board game suggestions. I will be checking these as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed playing Monument Valley - it's impossible architecture puzzles set in a Escher-esque landscape. Beautiful and very calming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Caracasonne is fantastic. Light game with an app. Small world is meh for me but you may enjoy it. IOS has a pandemic app. Sweet coop gsme. Star realms is an awesome two player agressive card game that you could enjoy. There's suburb I which is a board game version of sim city. And on the nonboard game front there is 4player reactor. One of the first games I bought and is really cool. Everyone has a section on the tablet. You have several different visual puzzles that are presented and you press your button when you see the puzzle is solved, trying to best your opponent to the punch. All great game although suburbia is a bit too heavy for me, which is saying a lot. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hartman

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
I have several app versions of board games, many I enjoy a LOT

1) Lords of Waterdeep: I've played this one the most. I think the AI is quite good, and it's an engrossing, fun worker placement game. I play this on my commute home from work.

2) Splendor: This one just came out, and it's also a lot of fun. I'd say the AI is not as cutthroat as human players can be, but it's a great implementation, nonetheless.

3) Puerto Rico: I've burned a lot of time with this app. I haven't actually had a chance to play the physical version of Puerto Rico, and I imagine the setup is a little cumbersome. This game gets right to the point. There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's a deep and engrossing experience if you learn it!

As far as non-board game apps?

Get FTL! This is one of my favorite games to play on my iPad. You're tasked with flying a ship through pirate- and rebel-controlled space, and you have to keep your systems up. There's a lot of management and RPG-like qualities to this game, and it's one of the best games on iPad.

One other board game app I haven't gotten to try yet is Small World 2. Small World is a lot of fun, so if she likes Risk-style games she might also like Small World!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Keith
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoy the Ticket to Ride and Tigris and Euphrates apps. I second the Lords of Waterdeep recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
While it doesn't have a board, per se, I love Sentinels of the Multiverse on the iPad.

I hope your surgery goes well -- and that your wife doesn't have too many moments of stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I always see this said and it bugs me everytime. Small world is not like risk. The only thing that makes them similar is that you attack each other. It's like saying chess is like checkers. They do the same thing but are completely different games. Space empires 4x is like risk. More complex but like risk. Small world is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Hartman

Atlanta
Georgia
msg tools
Well, I didn't say it was like Risk, in particular, just that she might like it if she likes Risk, since that would imply that she likes area control and strategy.

It's more like saying that you might like Chess if you like Checkers, since you'll be able to ride your knowledge of concepts from one into the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Quimbey
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Well fair enough. Sorry for the passionate response. That just seems to be axomparison that gets made a lot and bugs me because the two are nothing alike. And there are so many better games that don't get mentioned because of it. Cheers man. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wilkens
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign mode in Galaxy Trucker is more than long enough to fill that entire period, and then some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's always Candy Crush ;)

But seriously, boardgames:
Star Realms - free app - deckbuilder 2 player dual. Really good.
Hey that's my fish - fun little game with penguins :)
Reiner Knizia's labyrinth - tile laying game. Quite a good one.
Galaxy Trucker - fantastic campaign mode. And when you've recovered from surgery, can play it pass and play with your wife.

Days of Wonder also have a good stable of apps (which I haven't played yet):
Ticket to Ride
Small World
Memoir 44
Splendor

Plants vs. Zombies 2 is also a great free app, if you're into "tower defense" type games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storgar The Viking
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of water deep is my favourite, the ai is on hard with 2 of them is able to keep me to about a 50-60% win so enjoy the challenge still.
Agricola was good for a while, the solo mode was good, ai on multi did get easy after a while.
Eclipse I do enjoy but don't play much, ai gets easy after a while.
Star realms the free version took me a lot less than 5 hours to get through the campaign and the ai was too easy.
Pandemic might be fun but not sure off the top of my head if only the base game is in the initial purchase, might need an expansion to keep interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many good apps, but Yggdrasil, Ghost Stories, and Ascension: Deckbuilding Game are my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my most played ios games in doctor offices are

Lords of Waterdeep with Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport

Tichu

hearts

cribbage

San Juan

Battle Line

Solitaire for Two

Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride: Switzerland
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia

Agricola

Puerto Rico

Suburbia

I unfortunately spend alot of time in doctor's offices. These are all engaging but not too diificult to play if you are stressed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kranzel
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Le Havre app. It's got a pretty decent AI, and you don't have to deal with all the giant piles of tokens everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.