Quebec 1759» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Reserves? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McKay
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't holding units in reserve just a poor decision?

I'm more likely to be routed and less likely to rout. Why would I miss a round of firing just to balance my flanks?

Has anyone else had success with proper reserve usage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I agree that too many in reserve is a waste of firepower.

But since the dice are very fickle, you may get or suffer most of the hits in one spot. The reserve can either reinforce the success to route the enemy or reinforce the weak spot to delay your own route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
exorad wrote:
Isn't holding units in reserve just a poor decision?

I'm more likely to be routed and less likely to rout. Why would I miss a round of firing just to balance my flanks?

Has anyone else had success with proper reserve usage?

I only have the first edition game rules from the early 1970’s, so they may not be the same as the current edition. My comments are therefore based on those rules.

The defense can start unit(s) in the Reserve and wait to see how the attacker deploys and reveals the strengths of his forces. Then when the defender ascertains which attacking column may be the most problematic for him, he can move a unit out of reserve to enable it to immediately fire at that attacking column. There have also bee times that I have been able to save one of my columns from collapsing, because I could throw in some reserves to maintain it. But over-all I agree that it is very tempting to start everything on the firing line to get as many shots in as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

I only know the 1st edition too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought reserves were there mostly to partially protect you in case you rout. But I guess you have to trade that protection off against the increased change of routing.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Richards
Australia
Mittagong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends if you want to be Rambo or Granny Lee I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This is one of those cases in which a war game parallels war in real life. Knowing when to hold back reserves, and how much force to hold back, and then knowing when and where to commit the reserves, is a difficult decision for commanders in the field too!

There is always the possibility of holding no reserves back, and sometimes that is the best decision, yet one can easily read historical accounts of occasions on which the reserves carried the day by being thrown in as a stiff uppercut to the area of the battlefield where the fight was going well, or of times that the reserves saved the day by swiftly reinforcing an area where the fight was going badly.

Part of the problem that we face while making that decision in block wargames is that the proportions can be skewed -- we can't split a block and hold back half a block's worth of reserves, yet holding back a full block may be too much force in reserve and not enough immediately on the front.

Most of the time in the game, especially in smaller battles, I'm reluctant to hold back any reserves even though I know that it's a good idea, because it seems like too much force held back. Still, I like to at least bluff at holding something back, and if I do have reserves, I want to pick a place and get them into the fray as quickly as possible, usually the first opportunity to move them after seeing the force deployed against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.