Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think the new government cards are an improvement over the old ones? Why or why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to link to the article I wrote on this:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2013/7/22/wisdom/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one small part of the article relevant to the topic:
Quote:
A byproduct of the new governments and social policies is that research priorities have significantly changed. Monarchy and Communism, which were often neglected in the past, now offer powerful governments in addition to potent abilities. On the other hand, many players felt obliged to get certain techs, such as Code of Laws and Irrigation, in order to maximize their civilization’s success; with these updated governments, there are now several alternatives to each, expanding the options available dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is all the info you need. The new governments balance out the techs they come with and make for more valid ways to play. So yes, they are definitely an improvement. Wisdom and Warfare in general and as a whole is seen as a very good expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:
CJWF wrote:
I think this is all the info you need. The new governments balance out the techs they come with and make for more valid ways to play. So yes, they are definitely an improvement. Wisdom and Warfare in general and as a whole is seen as a very good expansion.

except for the English, they got boned.

How come? What do you dislike about the English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think they are pretty weak. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ca$h
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
tempestofcatan wrote:
CJWF wrote:

except for the English, they got boned.

How come? What do you dislike about the English?

England is very very weak. Also their starting tile is very bad.
Same goes for Zulu.
But its ok to have a couple of weak civs. Extra challenge for the players playing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cash1981 wrote:
Same goes for Zulu.
But its ok to have a couple of weak civs. Extra challenge for the players playing them.

Agreed, some Civs are stronger than others. I would compare any W&W Civ to any F&F Civ, the F&F Civs are oftentimes much stronger than W&W (or base). I'm not convinced that England is much weaker than the other W&W Civs (it was decent during playtesting), but I haven't played in a while -- so I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempestofcatan wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
cash1981 wrote:
Same goes for Zulu.

I'm not convinced that England is much weaker than the other W&W Civs (it was decent during playtesting), but I haven't played in a while -- so I could be wrong.

very wrong.

have you compared England to Spain yet?

Hold them side by side and tell me that england isn't underpowered

Whoops! Allow me to correct my previous post:

I would NOT compare any W&W Civ to any F&F Civ. The F&F Civs are much stronger than the rest -- I do not know whether this is a design decision or faulty playtesting, but Arabia remains overpowered even after several rounds of nerfs, and Spain is a powerhouse. I think that England is comparable to the other W&W and Core Civs, maybe on the lower end of the spectrum, but not beyond Egypt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bli bla
msg tools
mbmb
Egypt since last expansion get a real boost.

It's the only Civ with Greeks that can start with Rationalism with a 6 trades spot and can learn a tech at SoT turn 1.
Learn HBR, you have 3 movement for your scout and City (helping to get your 2nd city faster); harvest Silk, then if you were able to build a 2nd City, 6 trades + x trades from 2nd City +9 -> Probably 17 allowing you to get lvl 1& lvl 2 tech.
And if you are lucky, you get a nice wonder; HG, Colossus, Statue, Lighthouse, Pyramids (need a nerf otherwise itù s completely broken with Egypt).

Egypt is one of the most powerfull Civ in my opinion. That's why we removed the last ability since last Faq (wonders cannot be obsoleted). The ability to build "for free" is not what makes Egypt strong. What makes Egypt strong like a lot of other Civ is simply their amazing start.
Something England doesn't have. England is probably the weakest Civ but just consider them as a challenge ^^.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played England in first outing with W&W and found them underpowered as well. They have a lot of flexibility in being able to send resources home/found cities with armies and build figures (and get free units, nice!) at faraway cities from the start with their starting tech, but lack the home resources to really take advantage of these factors when they would really help out early on. Feels like they get a sluggish start but don't have abilities to make up for it later.

As it is you have to kinda spread out your starting units to bolster your capital hammer supply and devote a lot of city actions to building more armies. Started to pick up once I got the Great Lighthouse in play and improved their trade, but that's not a guarantee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.