BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Sorry about this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Acacio Jardim Martins
Germany
flag msg tools
Hello.

Sorry to "land" like this on this topic, but I am just starting on Boardgames with my gf, we are in Germany and don't know anyone who can help us on this...and I find all of these recommendations great! (for 2 noobs )
If I am offtopic here, please move me away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Blue Tent
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions you could answer to help people help you:
- What have you played? What did you think of those games?
- What's a good length of time for you and your girlfriend to play a game? 10 minutes? 1 hour? 6 hours?
- Are you only looking for two-player games? If not, how many players are thinking of?
- How much money are you willing to spend on a game?
- How much table space do you have to use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankAcacio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give us some more information on where your interests lie.

As you seem to be new to the hobby, you can hardly go wrong with the 'Spiel des Jahres' winning games.

Maybe you might additionally shout out to some gamer in your area who can aid you on your first steps - there are quite a number of germans around, and if you happen to live in or near a bigger city, there is a good chance somebody will heed your request.

Welcome to BGG and board gaming, Acacio and girlfriend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJMartins wrote:
[...] we are in Germany and don't know anyone who can help us on this...

As a German, this makes me sad.

Anyway, I would like to add a few questions:

- Is your girlfriend as equally interested in this new hobby as you are ?
- What themes/topics are you perhaps looking for in games ? (Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, history, comics, cats, spaghetti, colours starting with the letter R,...?)
- How competitive are you and your girlfriend ?

To provide you with an entertaining and informative stepping stone you can discover a bit on your own, I would like to link you the ►first season of TableTop.

Enjoy, and welcome to the hobby !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
without any additional info I will suggest a few games.

For 2-Player only:

Targi (Rahdos Runthrough)
Patchwork (Rahdos Runthrough)
Jaipur (Watch it Played)

For 2+players but plays just as good with 2-Players:

Castles of Burgundy (Watch Rahdos Runthrough)
Carcassonne
Arboretum (Watch GreyElephantGaming)
Splendor (Watch "WatchitPlayed")
Dominion or Marvel: Legendary (Also "WatchitPlayed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AJMartins wrote:
we are in Germany and don't know anyone who can help us on this...

Good news for you: you are in the best country in the world to pursue the boardgame hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acacio Jardim Martins
Germany
flag msg tools
Answering Joe Fatula...

-Without gf, played Stone Age, Pandemia, 7 Wonders. Tried to play Puerto Rico but we hadn't time at the time. Liked 7 Wonders. With gf played Guillotine...and she liked it. Thinking on buying it for having around...after all, who doest't appreciate some blood spillin' and heads rollin'?

-Actually I don't know. An hour maybe can be "aggressive" on the beginning, although I believe that could be a target for the future.

-At the moment yes...we live alone. And as I told before, we don't know any place around here (Birkenfeld, Enzkreis, BW, Germany) that have games for us to test...and players to face.

-It is a bit tight at the moment...I can't say how much we can spend. I believe that we can start checking 2nd hand material around Ebay or so.

- That is a tricky question...but I believe our table fits for 6 people only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acacio Jardim Martins
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks, Liam Liam, for the warm welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acacio Jardim Martins
Germany
flag msg tools
Dagar wrote:

As you seem to be new to the hobby, you can hardly go wrong with the 'Spiel des Jahres' winning games.

Maybe you might additionally shout out to some gamer in your area who can aid you on your first steps - there are quite a number of germans around, and if you happen to live in or near a bigger city, there is a good chance somebody will heed your request.

Well, actually, Josh, I am quite "lost"...I have seen some reviews here and I have seen some games before coming to Germany (me and my gf come from Portugal) and I like games like Agricola (although never played, seen it and it looks something!) but we are looking for a common taste, in order to get games for both of us and not just for me or her...

As told before, I live in Birkenfeld, Enzkreis...in Baden Würrtemberg, Germany. Near Karlsruhe (20 km) and Stuttgart (50 Km). Anyone????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acacio Jardim Martins
Germany
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:
AJMartins wrote:
[...] we are in Germany and don't know anyone who can help us on this...

As a German, this makes me sad.

Anyway, I would like to add a few questions:

- Is your girlfriend as equally interested in this new hobby as you are ?
- What themes/topics are you perhaps looking for in games ? (Fantasy, sci-fi, horror, history, comics, cats, spaghetti, colours starting with the letter R,...?)
- How competitive are you and your girlfriend ?

To provide you with an entertaining and informative stepping stone you can discover a bit on your own, I would like to link you the ►first season of TableTop.

Enjoy, and welcome to the hobby !

Don't be. I guess it is usual for us, Portuguese, to first settle and then meet everyone around...

Well, I am more excited than her, but I believe we can get common ground. She is competitive...but we can't say how much she is as we never tested her limits

About Tabletop...well...just got the links for all seasons and love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the best value in gaming, particularly for someone hew to the hobby, is by far the Alhambra: Big Box.

It plays great, maybe even best, with 2. You can set it up for a quick light match, an epic heavy, heavy euro think-athon, or anything in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AJMartins wrote:
Well, actually, Josh, I am quite "lost"...I have seen some reviews here and I have seen some games before coming to Germany (me and my gf come from Portugal) and I like games like Agricola (although never played, seen it and it looks something!) but we are looking for a common taste, in order to get games for both of us and not just for me or her...

As told before, I live in Birkenfeld, Enzkreis...in Baden Würrtemberg, Germany. Near Karlsruhe (20 km) and Stuttgart (50 Km). Anyone????

As you begin to dive into the hobby, there will likely be multiple games of different genres, 'heaviness', length and so on, you both will enjoy, so I'd say try anything that looks interesting to you. Agricola is rather heavy, but if it works for you, why not? If not, you might try lighter (and more forgiving) worker placement games like Stone Age.

There sure as hell are boardgame meetups and cafés etc. in Stuttgart, so if you find anything in the web, you might want to go there for an afternoon. It's usually better to try games with people who can teach it to you before buying, especially if money's tight.

I am in the southern Stuttgart area from time to time (my girlfriends parents live there). If we visit next time, we perhaps could plan for a free afternoon or evening. If you are interested, just write me a PM and I'll see what we can do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like agricola you should go for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

you wont regret it
other options are lost cities, jaipur, targi, as mentioned before.

The question about how competitive are you and your wife is important, because the tension might suit you or not.
Check "Radho Run through" reviews. he plays almost exclusively 2 players with his wife. they are not competitive at all so... have that in mind.

Welcome to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jürgen K
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AJMartins wrote:
Dagar wrote:

Maybe you should take a look at the Germany forum. There are a lot of threads where gamers are looking for gamers in the same area. There seems to be a regular meeting not far from you:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/876651/spielscheuer-fri...
Or you can look at some german sites like spielbox.de or hall9000.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Check out this forum link as it has a lot of useful forum topics for new users.

http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/59/boardgamegeek/new-user-que...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ussery
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Deciding what you like in a game is key to finding me games. If you like worker placement games (Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar, Fresco, Agricola) then look into those. Typically, worker placement is sort of low interaction (between players) and there doesn't tend to be a lot purposeful screwing over... Unless you enjoy playing that way.

My girlfriend(Shelby) loathes the thought of rolling dice, so many games that look great to me tend to turn her off (The Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, Madeira). These are still great games, but there is slightly more "luck" involved. However, we love worker placement games and the dice isn't a huge part of Madeira, so we can compromise. Maybe you enjoy dice? Check some of those games out.

If you want to build up a town or civilization, then look for Civ style games like Nations or Suburbia

Deck building games are also fairly easy and a good introduction to gaming. Dominion is the only one I've played, but the replay value is high! You must choose (randomly if you wish) 10 out 26 different cards to play. And with an expansion you can make the game even more interesting. Shelby lives Dominion.

Now, we both enjoy playing against each other (2 player co-op games fall flat in our opinion) but we don't like to DESTROY each other. I want to win by being more strategic or resourceful, not by gutting her strategy wth petty moves that ultimately hurt me somewhat as well. For this reason, we take the attack cards out of Dominion. Still a great game. It's also why we love to play Agricola.

Agricola, although relatively heavy with a 10+ minute set-up and break-down, is actually fairly simple once you understand the mechanics. It takes about 30min/player, but the better you get, the shorter the game (unless you're like me and get HORRIBLE analysis paralysis)

So, most of the games I have mentioned are $60 or less in the U.S. I'm not sure how it translates over, but many (great) games fall into this money bracket. Also, every game I mentioned (I believe) is 2+ players.

One of the most useful things anybody on this website has told me so far is to look up Rahdo Runs a Through videos (find him here or on YouTube). He not only runs through myriad games, he also has several Top 10 (worker placement, fantasy, heavy, engine building,) videos that I have found helpful. He may be a little manic, but I like to think of him as Jeff Goldblum after having drank too much coffee.

Rahdo specializes in great games that scale well from 2-5+ players. His preferred game fits Shelby's and my style almost perfectly so we love him.

If simplicity is a must, then check out Catan It's not a two player game (it can be but its SO BORING without trading and having to rely on the dice so much) but it was the first game that really got me into board games. Again, Dominion is fairly simple and has a lot of replay, too. If Co-op IS your thing, and you enjoyed Pandemic, then you can get Forbidden Desert for under 30 American dollars. It's cute, fun, relatively fast, and works with 1-5 players.

Personally, I really enjoy Stefan Feld games, as well as games from Rio Grande Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with simpler games, even if they are lower rated. I know when I started exploring board games ignored this advice from members here and I regretted it. I was overly eager to try the top ranked games and my family and even some friends struggled with them. I nearly turned them off from trying my games entirely. If you can control yourself though and ease in slower you will find a lot of the games have similar qualities/rules. This makes it easier to understand more complex games as you become more and more familiar with a lot of the shared mechanisms. Over time you will find the right complexity levels for yourself and your play partner(s). For me I went from too complex and had to draw it back but I strongly suggest you start from low complexity and go up.

Here are some suggestions that I'd offer to any new gamer and all are good with 2 players:
-Ticket to Ride
-Dominion
-Carcassonne
-Pandemic

And because you are interested in Agricola you have to go with:
-Agricola: All creatures big and small

This is a simply great introduction to worker placement games and future Agricola players (I actually like it more than Agricola though), you obviously like the theme, it's cheap and it's a great 2 player game. I really think it's a no-brainer for you. I'd also recommend buying one of the expansions while you're at it as I think they make the game much more fun/interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Start with simpler games, even if they are lower rated. I know when I started exploring board games ignored this advice from members here and I regretted it. I was overly eager to try the top ranked games and my family and even some friends struggled with them. I nearly turned them off from trying my games entirely. If you can control yourself though and ease in slower you will find a lot of the games have similar qualities/rules. This makes it easier to understand more complex games as you become more and more familiar with a lot of the shared mechanisms. Over time you will find the right complexity levels for yourself and your play partner(s). For me I went from too complex and had to draw it back but I strongly suggest you start from low complexity and go up.

If I may add: higher complexity does not necessarily mean more fun.

I am not saying that you implied this here, but it's a common big misconception. Getting deeper into the hobby only means that you will have an overall easier access to more games (as you are already more familiar with the different genres, mechanisms and concepts), but the good ones with lower complexity levels are still just as equally great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for newbies i could suggest:
Istanbul - race to collect gems. fast gameplay, huge replayability.

Stone Age - gateway to worker placement. Was a huge hit for my wife. Later - Agricola or Caverna: The Cave Farmers. Those are among the best WP games

Forbidden Desert great co-op for first time. later can move on to Pandemic with expansion or other more thematic games like Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and such...

Couples seem to like Jaipur but i think it should get boring after few plays. The Castles of Burgundy is probably the most recommended game for 2players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll cast another vote for Dominion, as I've found that to be one my wife really enjoys as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

A third for Dominion, and another for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. I'm a huge fan of Dominion and its expansions and Agricola! Dominion is a wonderful game, whose expansions who have the potential to change and better the game. Never personally played Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. But I love Agricola and hear that for some, the two player variant plays even better than the base game.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorenas wrote:
Couples seem to like Jaipur but i think it should get boring after few plays.

It does. Try Jambo instead. Or San Juan, if you want the best game for 2P that is also great with 3 or 4.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ei! Herzlisch willgomme im Schwobaländle!

(Get used to sentences like this - that's your new language! )

I'll throw in another vote for Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small.
Also nice, due to beeing cooperative is Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game.
Depending on your GF's tastes, and if you like shooting each otheror just flying around with biplanes, Wings of War: Famous Aces might be your game of choice.

If you don't want to spend too much money in the first place, but rather spend some quality time and craft some games all on your own, feel free to join the Print and Play community here on board (for example by browsing through one of the many "What Print'n Play Game are you crafting..." lists).

Looks interesting? Can I interest you for one of the many 2 player print and play games in here?

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:

This. The Spiel des Jahres was made specifically for people new to boardgames who want to play. Find the ones that work best with two players, those are probably the best place to start.

All Spiel des Jahres winners from 1979-2015

Now, they don't all work great with two, so you'll still have to look more closely at the ones that interest you, but some quick shout outs for games that play well with two, in my opinion, are:

Hanabi
Kingdom Builder
Dominion
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.