Subject: Gumbo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I made gumbo (chicken & sausage, plus prawns) on Friday evening for dinner.
It was really good.
I used a heaped tablespoon of Rudy's Chili Flakes. Now you know why it was so good.
I also added my regular cajun spice mix (commercial pre-mix in a plastic container).

Leftovers (lunch) today were spectacular. My nose is running and my lips are getting numb, and I love it!!
Spicier than the initial experience. Time + gumbo = good eats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too hot for gumbo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never too hot for gumbo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Gumbo needs okra and rice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked in Shreveport for several years, and one of my co-workers was from Houma, Louisiana, and was a really good cook. Before I left he gave me his family recipes for Gumbo, Jumbalaya, and Etouffe. Here is his gumbo recipe. Note that okra is not used, and seafood is never mixed with the chicken and sausage.

“Real Cajun” Gumbo

2 lb. Meat -- either:
a) 1 lb. each chicken and smoked sausage, chopped; or
b) shrimp, crab, oysters, mussels, etc. Fish is not usually used, and shellfish is NEVER cooked with chicken.
¾ Cup Flour
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 Medium bell pepper (any color), chopped
1 Handful parsley, chopped
2 Stalks of celery, chopped
2 Cloves of garlic, minced
1½ qts. Stock and water (stock should be at least half the liquid)
Salt and black pepper to taste
(Optional seasonings during cooking: basil and oregano. Filé powder is only added after cooking.)

First, make a roux.
In a large (at least 4 qts.), heavy pot (cast iron is best), toast the flour over medium heat, stirring constantly until the color of cocoa powder (NOTE: a wire whisk works really well for this). Start the heat at high until you see the flour start to show ‘wisps’, then turn it down to medium. The toasting process can take up to a half-hour.

Remove pot from heat and keep stirring to keep flour from burning while it cools a bit. Slowly mix in a cup or two of liquid (beware of splatters!) and whisk vigorously to break up the flour lumps. Once the lumps are gone, add the remaining liquid, return the mixture to heat and bring to a gentle boil.

Finish the gumbo.
As soon as the roux boils, add the chicken and let it cook for 5-10 minutes before reducing to a simmer. Add the sausage and the rest of the ingredients, except the parsley. Cook for 30 minutes. When done, turn off heat and add parsley.

While the gumbo is cooking, prepare a quantity of rice (long grain is best) equal in volume to the amount of gumbo. Serve by scooping a mound of rice into the center of a deep bowl, then ladling the gumbo over it. Garnish each bowl with ground cayenne, hot sauce, filé powder, or other ‘improvements’ to taste.

(Alternative cooking method: The chicken can be browned in a skillet beforehand, with the onion, garlic, and a bit of olive oil. This is added to the roux at the same time as the sausage and other ingredients.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew that mine would be dismissed as "not authentic", but I like chicken and shrimp (and sausage), so I mixed them together. Ha!
The Spanish mix seafood and chicken in paella, I believe, so it's not unheard of.

I did thicken my gumbo with Filé powder right before serving, and no okra, so at least I got that "correct".

I've made gumbo with fresh okra before, and it's an unpleasant experience to prepare. I also tried once with frozen okra (thawed, of course), which made prep so much easier, but, frozen okra. yuk

Click here for: Pretty pictures of the preparation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made gumbo last night, too. First I took the cheese and put it in the tortilla, then I put the ground beef on top of the cheese, then some onions and peppers, and finally more cheese. Folded it in half and grilled it. Delicious quesadi-I-I mean gumbo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
It's never too hot for gumbo

You don't live in Louisiana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.