KG Drake
United States
Unspecified
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a fantasy genre freak, and rarely have others to play with, and I haven't much of an entertainment budget, so I want to be careful what I buy, least it end up unplayed and gathering dust.

So, I'm hunting for opinions.

How easy are the rules to learn?

What's the overall quality of the cards? Will I need to sleeve them before I even play once, or are they durable enough to play many times before showing wear?

How long will a solo play be, on average?

Thanks for any answers, and keep geeking on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerGoblin wrote:
I'm a fantasy genre freak, and rarely have others to play with

If you play solo, you'll probably want to run a campaign with 2 or more characters. Some people prefer a single avatar, while others are fine controlling a whole party. Just FYI.

Also, you'll definitely want to get the 5 adventure expansions (adventures 2-6). The charm of this game is in the full campaign, and stopping each party after the 8 scenarios in the base game would not be very satisfying. The Character pack is entirely optional, however, as are class decks and promos.

Quote:

This would be much easier to answer if you said what games you are already familiar with, and in particular, if there are any at the upper edge of your preferred complexity range. The rules aren't terribly difficult, but they aren't simple either. There is a fair bit to remember and keep track of.

Quote:
What's the overall quality of the cards? Will I need to sleeve them before I even play once, or are they durable enough to play many times before showing wear?

If you are picky about card condition, you might need to sleeve. Some of the cards will be used in almost every session, while others will be used for the first time after (at least) 30 sessions. They will get minor marks. I'm not a sleever in general, and am happy without sleeves.

Also, note that there were different Chinese and US printings of the base game and all the expansions. The cards are slightly different size, as well as coloration, so you should definitely make sure to buy all of one, or all of the other. (The US printing had a few corrections, but I own the Chinese printing and I'm fine with it.)

Quote:

I don't have details on this, and it probably depends a lot on how many characters you choose to control, but I would guess 20-75 minutes per session, as a starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it takes most people about 3 times playing to get the rules.

I can't say. I sleeved mine for Rise of the Runelords and Skull and Shackles. but haven't yet done so for Wrath of the Righteous. I know lots of people don't sleeve, but I can't say how long it take so see wear.

The smallest increment of the game that you can setup and play and then put it back in the box is a scenario. Each scenario will take about an hour or so, partially depending on how many characters you decide to play solo (the game allows for you to play up to 6 characters by yourself if you want). The less characters you play, the faster it will go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerGoblin wrote:
I'm a fantasy genre freak, and rarely have others to play with, and I haven't much of an entertainment budget, so I want to be careful what I buy, least it end up unplayed and gathering dust.

So, I'm hunting for opinions.

Not that hard. The basics of a turn is quite straightforward and most of the time the golden rule "A card does exactly what it says and nothing else" is enough to get you through most scenarios. There are some problems, but if you read the rules forum here and at paizo, you'll find most questions have been asked already.
KillerGoblin wrote:

They seems quite durable to me, but I did sleeve because there are some production problems such as the backs not having exactly the same color, and some of the decks slightly different in size.
KillerGoblin wrote:

Thanks for any answers, and keep geeking on.
Average probably around 45, certainly not more than an hour for solo play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't add anything to the fine answers here except to say that if you do buy Rise of the Runelords you really should download the prologues and epilogues by kittenHoarder and Autoduelist (in the file section). Also there's an alternate adventure path reusing all the cards, by Ron Lundeen. So you basically can double your play.

Rise of the Runelords is maybe on the easy side for a lot of people so maybe try some of the variants to up the difficulty. Or just roll with it and not try to super maximize your characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played through the entirety of Runelords with 2 groups. Along the way I felt I had to sleeve the cards, because the edges became chipped and so some cards were distinguishable from the back. (Also, we bent the corner of a Siren.)

As mentioned, if you have a mixed set of American and Chinese printings, you'll probably want to sleeve, because the backs and sizes won't match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only thing I can add is that I also don't sleeve, and don't feel the need to. My initial intent was to buy Rise, play through it once, then sell it to used as funds to buy Skulls or Wrath. After playing my first party of 4 through the end of AP4, and starting a second party of 3, I've realized that I love this game, and probably won't ever sell it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KG Drake
United States
Unspecified
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the answers, this puts this game on my short list to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gardner
United States
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch a video to learn the basics. Crits happen and rhado runs through have good ones.

I haven't sleeved mine and they are holding up well through the base game scenarios.

I usually play solo and use 2-3 characters in my party. It's easy to manage and the interactions and assists between characters is fun. A solo scenario takes me about 45 mins.

It's a lot of fun. I love it solo, but I think it's even better with other players.

Consider buying a used copy. You can probably find the base + all expansion decks for about $90 + shipping. Maybe cheaper than that if you are lucky. This will give you a ton of play, and even more if you consider using some of the fan-made variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.