Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, we had one major city action space that allowed a player to pay a coin to activate the income in a minor city where he had a trading post. The rules describe this symbol as requiring the selection of different such cities if possible when activating the action space multiple times with a die above one in value. At the time of my first use of this, I only had a trading post in one minor city and used only that city's income up to the limit of the die I placed and coins I could play to match. We had some debate as to the validity of this play as the wording on the symbol was not conclusive. In short, is it a legal play when using an action space to gain minor city income multiple times from the same city if it is the only one where you have a trading Post, and how is this divided up when you only have, say two minor city trading posts but activate such an action an uneven number of times?

Thank you for any light you might shed on this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It doesn't say you must select different cities "if possible":

Quote:
If the player can choose more than one city, that player must then choose different cities in which they placed a trading post.

The German rules have the same requirement: you must choose different cities, period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Munro-Chitty
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter the die value, you can only activate each small city once. So if you placed a 6, and only have two separate small cities with trading posts, you can still only pay 2 coins to activate each city once. Multiple activation of the same city would just be too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is clearly written in the Z-man rulebook, supplement 1, at the end of the rulebook:

rulebook wrote:
The player selects 1 Small Town in which he has a Trading Post, and receives the bonus shown in that Small
Town. If a Large City Card allows a player to choose several Small Towns, he must choose all different Small Towns (which must all contain one of his Trading Posts).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the player can choose more than one city, that player must then choose different cities in which they placed a trading post.

What if a player has fewer towns that the pips? Is she/he only allowed one activation? Or can multiple pips be used in the same town? One player in our first game had only 1 trading post in a small city, and a trading post in the city that allowed you to place a die and activate equal to its pips, paying one coin for each activation and taking resources. He used this to great advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
LennyS wrote:
Quote:

What if a player has fewer towns that the pips? Is she/he only allowed one activation? Or can multiple pips be used in the same town? One player in our first game had only 1 trading post in a small city, and a trading post in the city that allowed you to place a die and activate equal to its pips, paying one coin for each activation and taking resources. He used this to great advantage.

You can only activate each town once, period. If you have fewer towns than pips then the extra pips are wasted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Golovanov
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colemunrochitty wrote:
No matter the die value, you can only activate each small city once. So if you placed a 6, and only have two separate small cities with trading posts, you can still only pay 2 coins to activate each city once. Multiple activation of the same city would just be too powerful.

I had a similar situation, but I have different question.
I had "D" bonus ("?" - choose any other bonus), "A" and "B" (total - 3 outposts).
So, with dice "3" on that city card I can choose A, B and D.
Naturally, after using "A" and "B" one pip is left.
But with remaining "D" can I choose "A" or "B" again.
Basically, all 3 pips are used for different bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
YEs, you can choose either A or B again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.