Subject: Orbital bombardment damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Does orbital bombardment damage get applied to every unit, or just once to the army to be allocated as one sees fit?

Ie let's say the elder roll three hits in orbital bombardment damage against a planet with 4 irk boys on it (each with 2 hit points). Do they all die? Or does just one?

Similarly does that mean if a battle wagon or gargant is present, is the entire planet thus immune to bombardment less than 4 damage?

Thanks!

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's assigned just as in normal combat, one unit at a time, decided by the defender. The only difference is that bombardment cannot rout units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You assign damage the same way as combat. So 4 damage would be assigned by the defender to whichever units he desires. Also, remember that Orbital Strikes do not Route units who take partial damage.

Edit: Oops, Paul beat me to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it's like we've been rehearsing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Ok thus if a high tier unit is present it essentially makes the entire planet immune to bombardments for most practical purposes? What's the real point of a bastion then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastions can take damage in normal combat without being routed.

Bastions prevent orbital strikes completely until the attacker buys the upgraded order.

You don't have to increase your command level to build a bastion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
Marine bastions can double as factories.

Tom W wrote:
Ok thus if a high tier unit is present it essentially makes the entire planet immune to bombardments for most practical purposes?

Highest defence in the game is Ork Gargant with 6 health. An unmodified 8-dice bombardment has a 14% chance to kill that. 1 chance in 7 in a game which only lasts 8 turns could be considered "immune for practical purposes".
However that's the Orks, everyone else tops out at 5-health. which are killable 36% on an 8-dice attack.
Add order-upgrades like "Orbital Strike" can increase those odds. I don't consider a 50%+ chance to kill a titan, for no risk to my own units. to be "Immune to bombardments".
I find the main reason not to bombard is that even if it kills everything, bombarding can't take the planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
I find the main reason not to bombard is that even if it kills everything, bombarding can't take the planet.

Agreed, until the Space Marines (i think) buy the command upgrade that lets them move a unit to the bombarded planet.

Orbital Bombardment is nothing to be sniffed at...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- parkibricks -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Bastions can take damage in normal combat without being routed.
Bastions prevent orbital strikes completely until the attacker buys the upgraded order.
You don't have to increase your command level to build a bastion.

And it gives you an extra "unit" on a planet that is full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.