25 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: Good compartment boxes for FS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Heck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find some compartment boxes that will let me give each faction its own compartment box for their units and tokens, plus one more for neutral/shared pieces. I've tried some that hold everything well, but they're just slightly too big for the box.

Has anyone found compartment boxes that can do this, and also fit in the box? It seems like it should be perfectly possible, especially with the space-taking cardboard insert removed from the box...but the boxes I've tried so far are just a bit too large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra Pro Deck Boxes (80 sleeved cards) in the 4 faction colours can hold the cards and the tokens for each. Works well and is cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Heck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks! Those look really nice for cards and tokens.

Do they have anything that works well for units? I'm trying to find something that holds them without bending the pieces, and doesn't require that the units get laid out every time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Heck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks! Those look really nice for cards and tokens.

Do you know if they have anything that works well for units? I'm trying to find something that holds them without bending the pieces, and doesn't require that the units get sorted out again every time you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Really Useful Boxes 0.3L size for units, one for each faction. They are conveniently sized and fit well in the box. In the States, you can find them at Office Depot and Office Max.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plano 3500's, five of them. Fits the units and then into the box perfect, with the four factions stacked flat, 2x2, and the shared Plano upright at one end; still room for the deck boxes along the side (well three of the four deck boxes, with one on top).

One deck box and one Plano per faction, easy peasy.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

EDIT: The Really Useful boxes won't separate the units like the Plano's will.

EDIT #2: Pics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
I use the Really Useful Boxes 0.3L size for units, one for each faction. They are conveniently sized and fit well in the box. In the States, you can find them at Office Depot and Office Max.

Are the 0.3L ones really big enough to hold all units for a single faction? They look small...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:

Are the 0.3L ones really big enough to hold all units for a single faction? They look small...

Yes, they hold all units for the faction plus the dial comfortably but without taking up excessive space. They won't hold the ships if the stands are on them though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge1000 wrote:
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:

Yes, they hold all units for the faction plus the dial comfortably but without taking up excessive space. They won't hold the ships if the stands are on them though.

Nice, I'll be heading to Staples tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:

Might want to check my edit for another solution first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:
albynomonk wrote:
Surge1000 wrote:

Might want to check my edit for another solution first.

Those are nice, but I can't find them anywhere near me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
albynomonk: No Walmart's or Cabela's or similar in Canada?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
albynomonk: No Walmart's or Cabela's or similar in Canada?

We have a Walmart, but they don't carry the 3500s. No Cabela's anywhere near me, I live in a small Northern town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Heck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Robert, those look perfect.

I think they're available on Amazon, here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E39T4Q/ref=ox_sc_act_im...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Nice. I'll be ordering those. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main focus for storage is improving setup time, so I often do not use Plano boxes as typically they just serve as a substitute for plastic bags and sometimes even hinder setup time and increase the table space needed to play games, not to mention it can often be a pain removing pieces from them. I create a lot of my own inserts and often mix and match various storage containers. My preference is for a container with a removable lid that the container can rest on. If I weren't at work, I would take some pictures of some of my setups to better illustrate. For Forbidden Stars, I am also using the Ultra Pro deck boxes and some smaller containers for tokens.

That said, there are times when Plano boxes or similar substitutes can be quite useful, and I think Robert's setup is excellent. I have a dozen or so 3500s in my reserves, so I may actually try that out myself. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Plano model 23630 for all the plastic and it fits perfect even with the insert . Then bag each of the player stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bell
msg tools
So I did the Ultra Pro Deckboxes (one color for each race) and sleeved all the cards in Ultra Pro sleeves. I put all the cards in the deckboxes along with the tokens/counter etc (as someone above mentioned).

For the rest, I went with a plano box by black and decker. Fits everything really nicely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flash7713
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the plano 3500's hold the ships with stands on? Can't quite tell in the photos (may be my eyes though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmcseph wrote:
Do the plano 3500's hold the ships with stands on? Can't quite tell in the photos (may be my eyes though!)

No, I have the stands in a bag. Keeping the stands on would make it very hard to find a storage solution that still fits in the box IMHO, short of a custom battlefoam type solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:
Plano 3500's, five of them. Fits the units and then into the box perfect, with the four factions stacked flat, 2x2, and the shared Plano upright at one end; still room for the deck boxes along the side (well three of the four deck boxes, with one on top).

One deck box and one Plano per faction, easy peasy.

Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

EDIT: The Really Useful boxes won't separate the units like the Plano's will.

EDIT #2: Pics

Thank you for sharing this. I converted from good old baggies to your solution this past weekend and LOVE it! Thank you again and enjoy the Geek Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Hollander
msg tools
Hey everyone, sorry to revive an old thread but I wanted to let everyone know that I took the 3500 series Plano boxes and notched out some of the walls so that I could fit the ships with their bases still attached.

I tested this with all four factions and it works with the notches in the exact same place for all of them. If you have a sharp box cutter/utility knife it doesn't take long and it works great so now you don't have to assemble the ships every time you play! Hope this helps someone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thanks CrispyMyth, I acquired the same boxes and am quite happy with how it packed up. I'm considering jhollander1987's modifications, but I'm nervous about cutting the Plano boxes.

If it's of help to anyone else, the parts can be acquired at Amazon:

5 Ultra Pro Deck Boxes. This was the best price I could find, even including an extra one. Colors match the factions except for the Eldar, who get white.

Plano 3500s. When I bought them, it was cheaper to buy 5 individual ones than to buy a 4-pack and an individual one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan De Smet
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
For anyone using Plano 3500's, I've made inserts for the lids that replicate the information on the player sheet. My goal is to slightly reduce the amount of table space needed, as it's a fun game, but a bit of a table eater.

They look like this installed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hahn
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
I went ahead and followed your suggestion for storage. It's fantastic. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.