Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose it depends on what one means by a good game but I'll leave that up to your discretion.

I've had a lot of success with making Avalon Resistance fun by immediately putting people to the question and making claims of seeing eye twitches and other give-aways. So long as there's at least 6 people the games tend to have a lot of enjoyable finger pointing and wild accusations and plenty of table-talk. But I also introduce the game by pointing out a few ruses that the minions might think to try for newbies which I think gets things nicely stirred up.

What might I do with Quo Vadis of a similar sort? I've already thought to introduce people to the idea of permitting themselves to enjoy the sensation of being betrayed or backstabbed and to a healthy admiration of someone else's sneakiness, partly to give them permission for naughtiness but also to neutralise bad feeling. But that won't necessarily get the players going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I don't know what you mean by "good game" as enjoying being backstabbed is not something I am likely to do. Besides, the backstabbing in Quo Vadis? is less than there typically is in negotiation games because of the requirement to keep promises for at least the current round.

The big thing I see as needed for a good game of Quo Vadis? is for everyone to be focused on winning. The second someone accepts that coming in second is a pretty good result, it throws the whole game off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's a great tip. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shout a lot and be confident.

Talking about eye twitches will get you nowhere, as there is no traitor involved. Point out why and how helping you is a better idea than not doing it. There are levers in the game, but I believe fear of betrayal is not one of them.

And Dave is right, it's not really a backstabbing game - you get to stab people in the face, which is much more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it's interesting to make some secret deals, like "I give you this token if you give me the vote", with no one knowing which is the value of the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deranged
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I find the game much improved by keeping all scores public.

More specifically, the only unknown I have in the game is the random chit puts for disc replacements on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.