Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are about to embark on a 2p campaign, playing one hero each. We did RotR with Merisiel (her) + Lini (me), which was great fun. We didn't mind succeeding at almost every scenario on the first try, as they were a very potent duo.

For S&S, my wife has chosen to try Seltyiel, as she still feels more comfortable with a weapon in her hand, but would like to experiment with spells. From reading the Paizo boards, Seltyiel is considered one of the weaker characters, so I want to pick someone who would complement him well.

After (too much) analysis, I boiled it down to Lem or Alhazra. Both have Divine, and neither would compete for strength-based weapons. Lem offers a d4 for any check, which would help offset Seltyiel's lack of strong secondary skills. However, his d6 wisdom is a bit of a concern. Meanwhile, Alhazra's examining abilities should be helpful in setting up Seltyiel for success.

I ended up choosing Alhazra, mostly because she is new, and more radically different from anything in RotR. As a bonus, the Paizo board consensus seems to be that she is one of the strongest characters. But is that true with a small party?

We're planning to try a scenario (or two), and then decide whether to stick with our choices or to try a different pair. But it's not too late for me to swap in Lem, or someone else, if it would make sense to do so. My primary objective is for my wife to have fun, so I'm OK playing pretty much any character in the box.

So my questions for you:

1. Is Seltyiel+Alhazra a reasonable combo?

2. Would Seltyiel+Lem be better?

3. Am I overlooking an even better partner for Seltyiel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Best partner for Seltyiel?
I think that's a reasonably good combo for the reasons you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good combo to me. Damiel would be another to consider, as well as Lem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Alahazra through deck 5 (still in progress) and another player in my group took Seltiyel. I don't think he's weak but Alahazra with anyone is pretty powerful. She can spend nearly all her cards just setting the other players up and doing some safer explores on her own. Plus, in S & S, the Divine attack spells are better, I think, and she gets a +2 on them, so she can hold her own in fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 0.1 tonight, and things went well.

I misplayed the Captain ally to our favor, but also forgot Alahazra's +2 for attack spells. In the middle of the game, it looked hopeless, but we won on the very last blessing of the deck. Very exciting!

We both enjoyed it, and although we're not locked into this duo, we're sticking with them for now. Each of us is probably going to take another session or two to figure out how to best use our abilities.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update: We "won" the second scenario on the next-to-last blessing card. Then we realized that we accidentally killed Nefti instead of just having a friendly chat with her. Oops! Sorry Nefti! With Alahazra's strong charisma, and lots of blessings, I think we still would have won playing properly, and probably with even more time to spare.

My wife still seems happy with Seltyiel, but I'm probably going to switch characters. Alahazra is powerful, and I enjoy doing all that manipulation of locations and her discard pile. However, it creates a lot of downtime for my wife. My wife has countless virtues, but patience is not one of them. When she gets bored, I/we start rushing, and I/we start missing little rules.

I considered going back to my Lem plan, but remembered that he has a lot of shuffling (like almost once per turn). So now I'm seriously considering going with Jirelle. She should be quick to play (and less mentally draining).

My main concern is that we wouldn't have any healing. I have not played in a campaign without healing, so although I believe it is possible (from reading the stories of others), it still seems quite daunting. In fact, I have always *been* the healer, so it will feel even more foreign. On the other hand, I would like to try something completely different.

Which brings me to my new question: Would Seltyiel + Jirelle be a strong pair, despite the lack of healing? Or, if I want to maximize our chances of winning most scenarios on the first attempt, should I go with Lem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think either of those would be fine. Healing isn't as crucial in a small party, but Skull and Shackles can be rough.

I'm telling you man, don't sleep on Damiel. He uses Ranged weapons, can have non-Attack Divine and Arcane spells (which includes Cure) and can get awesome usage from the Potions (which includes Potion of Healing). He is great to team with others because his power can help them with their Combat checks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I'm telling you man, don't sleep on Damiel.

I almost replied before, but at the time it didn't seem relevant. I am biased against paring a B character with a C character. It's probably irrational, but I would rather not dilute all the decks with a flood of low-level cards.

With 2 C characters, I could justify it, because (for example) Damiel would get many additional potions, AND Feiya would get a bunch of animals (and whatever else it is she wants).

With just one B and one C character, it seems like we would have a harder time picking up cool new gear in boxes 5 and 6. I suppose on the flipside, we would also be more likely to hit weak monsters and traps, but having played with a B+C pairing in RotR, I would like to try it the other way in S&S.

Damiel's full backstory didn't help his case any[1], although he's not the only one who is hard for me to relate to.

[1]
Spoiler (click to reveal)
as even the killer [Damiel] himself might have trouble recognizing the monster that would take a girl’s life simply for seeing something she shouldn’t.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
United States
Kearneysville
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jirelle is very nice and can get Diplomacy and Craft if she becomes the Pirate Queen. (and Seltyiel becomes sick for attack with STR:MELEE + INT + 2D6 + Weapon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
With just one B and one C character, it seems like we would have a harder time picking up cool new gear in boxes 5 and 6.

You'll be taking the Basics out from deck 3 on, and taking the Elites out from deck 5 on. I've played RotR with the Character add-on two+ times and we've picked up some quality cards each time.

You could accelerate the process by using the Season 0 Organized Play rule of just removing all the Basics (boons & banes) up to the adventure number - 2 for adventures 3 and 4, then including Elites in the same process for adventures 5 and 6. My hunch is you'd rather not adjust the rules, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
You could accelerate the process by using the Season 0 Organized Play rule of just removing all the Basics (boons & banes) up to the adventure number - 2 for adventures 3 and 4, then including Elites in the same process for adventures 5 and 6. My hunch is you'd rather not adjust the rules, though.

I'm not averse to reasonable rule adjustments (variants/houserules). I'll consider that one. Thanks.

For those playing along at home, Seltyiel and Jirelle won the third scenario easily, thanks to a henchman and villain being at the top of their decks. Then we got beaten pretty badly in the fourth scenario. I think those two could win it in a rematch, with decent luck (of the card positions in the location decks). But I didn't really feel like the characters were interacting much.

I guess I'm used to playing more of a support role, so between that and my general nervousness about not having healing in the later scenarios, I'm going to try Lem.

Seltyiel is starting to feel a bit self-conscious, since his partners keep deserting him!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seltyiel and Lem took on the brine dragon tonight. It came down to the final blessing in the deck, after they had the bad luck of finding 2 henchmen and the villain within 3 cards of the bottom of their location. Here's how the game ended...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the final turn, three locations were closed, and both characters were at the Wishing Well. It was Lem's turn, and he had...no weapon and no spell. Still, he explored, and explored. He picked up 3 boons and the associated shades. A barrier also gave him a free boon.

The next to the bottom card in the deck was the dragon. Both characters had armor to avoid taking acid damage. Lem attacked the dragon with his bare fists, with a Blessing of Gorum from Seltyiel, plus Lem's own d4 boost. So he rolled 5d4, and needed a 19 or better. If he could get it, this would be the epic ending people would talk about for generations! Sadly, he rolled an 11, and the party failed the scenario. Bummer. I was SO hoping to roll a 19 or 20!!

I definitely had more fun playing Lem, with his ability to assist with almost every check. It seems likely that Lem will be Seltyiel's partner for the next 30+ scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And to probably wrap this up, Seltyiel and Lam finished off the last of the basic scenarios, and are entering box 1. They seem well-suited for each other, and Lem is our "mama bear" for our play style (not too complicated, not too simple).

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.