Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Opinions please (MTG/cool stuff inc) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I haven't played Magic the Gathering in over 6 years after having played for almost a decade. As you can imagine I have a pretty big collection. I have several cards which I recently looked up the value on and was quite floored. My question is... I will most likely never play again. Should I continue to hold onto them indefinitely or perhaps sell them?

I notice that Coolstuffinc buys cards. And a lot of mine are on the buy list. Does anyone know if they give store credit?

Does anyone have experience with this? And/or any opinions?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. Please let me know if I should repost elsewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sold them cards myself, but a friend has several times. I believe you get more money in store credit than you would in cash, so that's a bonus.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on cards, also magic cards are stock and reprints might happen so you should at least look up the values now and consider the risks of reprint

the better place to ask this might be in Magic: The Gathering subforum.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI does buy MTG cards. They give cash(pay-pal or check) and store credit. If you get store credit they add 25% to the value.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:
CSI does buy MTG cards. They give cash(pay-pal or check) and store credit. If you get store credit they add 25% to the value.


That's awesome! I can't remember what all is in the collection but I have perhaps dozens worth $100+ per card... It's been years since I checked and I have no idea how or why the card values went up so much.

And thanks... I posted on the MTG subforum. I know a lot of people dont frequent the MTG forums, so I posted here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
Generally speaking the best way to get your money's worth with magic cards is to do the convention dance. Go to a big convention, and go booth by booth asking what booths will pay for your collection. Write down the answers, tell them thank you, and go to the next. When you've either found a quote that you're happy with or you've gone through the whole sales floor, go sell it. You'll often get between 25% to 50% more doing it this way than you would selling online via buylist -- those typically assume your cards are in the worst condition possible, for safety reasons.

I paid for my trip to GenCon last year this way. Spent the first half of the first day just shopping my collection around, sold it for an untoward amount of money (still didn't match what I put into it, but bygones be bygones) and then kicked back and enjoyed the rest of the week. Now if only I'd saved some of it so I could go again this year...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
Generally speaking the best way to get your money's worth with magic cards is to do the convention dance. Go to a big convention, and go booth by booth asking what booths will pay for your collection. Write down the answers, tell them thank you, and go to the next. When you've either found a quote that you're happy with or you've gone through the whole sales floor, go sell it. You'll often get between 25% to 50% more doing it this way than you would selling online via buylist -- those typically assume your cards are in the worst condition possible, for safety reasons.

I paid for my trip to GenCon last year this way. Spent the first half of the first day just shopping my collection around, sold it for an untoward amount of money (still didn't match what I put into it, but bygones be bygones) and then kicked back and enjoyed the rest of the week. Now if only I'd saved some of it so I could go again this year...


That's an excellent idea but... I wish I had the time for that. I've always wanted to just list them in EBay but once again... Time is an issue for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of my high value cards individually on ebay. I didn't bother with everything else. Most of it is junk. Most convention dealers quoted me 50% what the going rate on e-bay was. But that was 12 years ago and I ended up holding onto the stuff anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is a great way to clear out cards and get board games - I've done a bunch of it. It's not the most lucrative way, but it's a nice balance between ease and profitability. There's no eBay fees, no dealing with people on PayPal, and you only ship one package. Plus, you get a bonus in credit, which makes CSI's prices even sweeter.

I turned a bunch of spare modern and EDH stuff into an expansive Xwing collection and a pile of great games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
CSI is a great way to clear out cards and get board games - I've done a bunch of it. It's not the most lucrative way, but it's a nice balance between ease and profitability. There's no eBay fees, no dealing with people on PayPal, and you only ship one package. Plus, you get a bonus in credit, which makes CSI's prices even sweeter.

I turned a bunch of spare modern and EDH stuff into an expansive Xwing collection and a pile of great games.


Yeah that's the main reason. It's quick and convenient and I get bonus store credit which is what most of it will go towards. Glad to hear you had a good experience!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of most of my old MTG collection over the past few years (still have a few left).

There are a bunch of online places that will buy cards, where you go through their want list, select what you have, and send in the buylist. CSI is one of those. I dealt with three of them, and would compare what price each of the three was offering on a bunch of cards, picking out the highest offer that day for each card.

For the others I just took payment as a check, but for CSI I took store credit. They will always pay more in store credit than in cash.

Anyway, the upshot is, via CSI and MTG cards, I converted a few boxes of cards into a table full of board games, multiple times!

(If the goal was to have my toys take up less space, I have failed miserably... )

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
Hey all!

I haven't played Magic the Gathering in over 6 years after having played for almost a decade. As you can imagine I have a pretty big collection. I have several cards which I recently looked up the value on and was quite floored. My question is... I will most likely never play again. Should I continue to hold onto them indefinitely or perhaps sell them?

I notice that Coolstuffinc buys cards. And a lot of mine are on the buy list. Does anyone know if they give store credit?

Does anyone have experience with this? And/or any opinions?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. Please let me know if I should repost elsewhere.

I only have experience selling cards to them at the store itself, not online. At the store, they give you credit (which is 25% more than cash). I believe the same applies online, but I don't know for sure.

I also don't know much about MTG's secondary market, but if the old cards will never be playable again, then I would sell them. I doubt they'd become worth more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I also don't know much about MTG's secondary market, but if the old cards will never be playable again, then I would sell them. I doubt they'd become worth more.


This entirely depends on which old cards he has: certain ones will continue to accrue valuable for the foreseeable future. Magic has formats where near-everything is legal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dizzle
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played from '95-'03. Most of my cards aren't worth much, but the nostalgic value to me prevents me from selling them. (I did look at the buy list though. Why the hell are they paying $31 for a Chronicles Blood Moon?)

If they don't have that nostalgic value to you, and are just taking up space, I would totally sell them and get something you'd actually use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
Coming from a Magic player / dealer for 19 years:

I trade in cards to them every week and I would recommend it for anyone looking to unload Magic cards for board games. Their buylist is the easiest to use out of all of the other online game stores. Their grading on cards is very lenient. You get +25% credit over cash and they already have some of the best prices on games. This is also a very easy way to grow your reward levels with them.

I would advise against holding any Magic cards indefinitely outside of the ones on the "reserve list" and only if you actually plan on doing anything with them. You are not going to gain much over time on these "investments" as you would in other markets. Any cards that were printed from Mirrodin forward are in the very popular Modern tournament format and can possibly be reprinted at anytime.

When StarCityGames stopped supporting Legacy tournaments, the growth of prices of older cards stalled and dropped in some cases. Unless they start supporting Legacy again as a format, it will continue to stay like this.

PM me if you have any other questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MirriPrime wrote:
Coming from a Magic player / dealer for 19 years:

I trade in cards to them every week and I would recommend it for anyone looking to unload Magic cards for board games. Their buylist is the easiest to use out of all of the other online game stores. Their grading on cards is very lenient. You get +25% credit over cash and they already have some of the best prices on games. This is also a very easy way to grow your reward levels with them.

I would advise against holding any Magic cards indefinitely outside of the ones on the "reserve list" and only if you actually plan on doing anything with them. You are not going to gain much over time on these "investments" as you would in other markets. Any cards that were printed from Mirrodin forward are in the very popular Modern tournament format and can possibly be reprinted at anytime.

When StarCityGames stopped supporting Legacy tournaments, the growth of prices of older cards stalled and dropped in some cases. Unless they start supporting Legacy again as a format, it will continue to stay like this.

PM me if you have any other questions.


This was very informative. I started playing when The Dark came out, through the Kamigawa block. I primarily played Type 1 so I have a lot that are currently on the reserved list. Thank you for the advice!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dizzle wrote:
(I did look at the buy list though. Why the hell are they paying $31 for a Chronicles Blood Moon?)

Long story short: There's a new format called Modern that is gaining popularity. Speculators have been taking advantage by buying out random, long-out-of-print cards that are played in top Modern decks (and some that aren't) on a near-weekly basis, jacking up the price. Chronicles isn't Modern legal, but Blood Moon was reprinted in a Modern-legal set ten years ago and was hit by speculators a couple months ago.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm I wonder if I still have any of my Blood Moons? They weren't worth anything a few years ago :-/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Armadillo Al wrote:
dizzle wrote:
(I did look at the buy list though. Why the hell are they paying $31 for a Chronicles Blood Moon?)

Long story short: There's a new format called Modern that is gaining popularity. Speculators have been taking advantage by buying out random, long-out-of-print cards that are played in top Modern decks (and some that aren't) on a near-weekly basis, jacking up the price. Chronicles isn't Modern legal, but Blood Moon was reprinted in a Modern-legal set ten years ago and was hit by speculators a couple months ago.


Interesting. I just checked, and you are correct. Blood Moon was a great sideboard card in the right deck for sure. Just never imagined it would hit $30
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive traded cards their twice and love it. Very easy to use and quick turnaround.

Fyi, they issue a code and then you use that code at checkout. It isn't something that stays on your account and gets used automatically.

But highly recommended!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
Ive traded cards their twice and love it. Very easy to use and quick turnaround.

Fyi, they issue a code and then you use that code at checkout. It isn't something that stays on your account and gets used automatically.

But highly recommended!


Interesting... I assume with this code they will know how much you have left to spend?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:
Ive traded cards their twice and love it. Very easy to use and quick turnaround.

Fyi, they issue a code and then you use that code at checkout. It isn't something that stays on your account and gets used automatically.

But highly recommended!


Interesting... I assume with this code they will know how much you have left to spend?


Yes it (the credit at CSI) doesn't have to be used all at once. You can enter the code and it will apply as much as needed/available to the order.

Selling MTG cards to CSI is a big contributor to why I also have the highest level loyalty discount there (5%). Because I got so much credit there and spent it!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
rayzor6 wrote:
Ive traded cards their twice and love it. Very easy to use and quick turnaround.

Fyi, they issue a code and then you use that code at checkout. It isn't something that stays on your account and gets used automatically.

But highly recommended!


Interesting... I assume with this code they will know how much you have left to spend?


Yes...and there is no problem with it. I've just grown accustomed to a place just having your credit amount on file and not issuing a code that needs to be inputted each time you make a purchase. As most of my orders are done on mobile, it can be a bit of a pain to cut and paste each block from my email to the site, but that is a minor gripe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.