Subject: Is military too mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading about this it looks like the military actions are meaner than what I normally enjoy in games.

I tend to not enjoy "take that" elements or gang up on the leader style play. Attacks are alright if they take effort and can be defended against. If it is easier for my opponents to steal from me than for me to build up than I am unlikely to enjoy the game.

Games in which I thought the attacks were overly annoying:
Firenze - cards could be drafted and played that easily destroyed what I was working on. The attacker didn't have to work for it and it was fairly devastating to my strategy.
Pax Porfiriana - it could take multiple actions to build something up to receive a modest benefit and then be taken away very easily by an opponent.
Imperial Settlers - same as above

Games with combat that I enjoy:
Through the Ages: it takes effort to pull off attacks and their is generally foreshadowing that hints that defences need to be built up.
Clash of Cultures: same as above
Innovation: The attacks are somewhat predictable after multiple plays and being light in any symbols puts one at risk of attack.

Any insight into how brutal this games attacks are would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In CoI, you build your deck of available cards and your ability to draw them through the game. That said, civil and military cards are separated. So a player who was peaceful the whole game cannot suddenly backstab you via military.

Conflict is another thing entirely. You compete for most produced goods in all good categories. I.e. it is not important how many you produce, just that you are the one who produces most. In that sense, there can be ganging up against the leader with different players trying to trump the leader in different good categories, not competing with each other anymore, if one player is clearly in the lead and the rest sees chances of winning as well. Military play is just one method to achieve the majority in one good category, and if you never played military, you cannot be stolen from.

TL;DR: Military is not overpowered and does not win games on its own (unless there are hogmen in 2 player games...), but you are competing for stuff.

Hope this helps. You might also take a look at The Ancient World from Laukat, it has a somewhat similar feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
After reading about this it looks like the military actions are meaner than what I normally enjoy in games.

I tend to not enjoy "take that" elements or gang up on the leader style play. Attacks are alright if they take effort and can be defended against. If it is easier for my opponents to steal from me than for me to build up than I am unlikely to enjoy the game.

Any insight into how brutal this games attacks are would be helpful.

Basically you would have to use a military action to take a town card(I believe that't the term for them). To do so you have to have certain cards that equal the distance and attack value required to take that town. Once you do this, you will get some benefit from that town. Also, when you get that town card, you flip it over and its defense goes up. An opponent would have to have a higher attack value to take that town from you than you needed to take it in the first place. So it will take more effort/planning for them to take it from you than it took you to get it in the first place.

The other player would have to commit more to trying to get military cards than citizen cards if going military strategy to take things from others. There are buildings such as the Barracks that you could buy to keep from that other player.

If you don't even go military at all and don't take any towns, then other players can't take them from you. Your buildings and districts and such that give you resources and points aren't affected by an opponent. They can't take those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:

Hope this helps. You might also take a look at The Ancient World from Laukat, it has a somewhat similar feel.

I like The Ancient World too. Though it can be mean in the blocking out of action locations, but I don't mind that at all because it works both ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Dagar wrote:

I like The Ancient World too. Though it can be mean in the blocking out of action locations, but I don't mind that at all because it works both ways.

I rarely like Action Drafting (worker placement) games and that didn't look different enough from others to make me interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Martin
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Ronnie,

I have played COI several times and the thing I found out about military is if you are playing with the Town cards with no stars military has a easier time be able to win the game in a 2 player game. Zero star town cards are more for a 3-4 player game. Just thought I would throw that in there if you were playing a 2 player game. if you are playing a 2 player game of COI and the other player decides to go all military then do whatever you can to stop them from getting any Barracks. Without them I have not seen them win a single game. I never go straight military or straight building. You have got to adjust to what you think the other players are going to do. If players are going to attack town cards you have build there defense with arms dealer. Its a free action and if you keep drawing card with that card being on top you could make it to where they wont attack your towns and you can still attack other towns and build building while doing so for cheaper then player building up on military. It much cheaper to do this then it is to build up military. But this isn't the only way to beat military. Just watch what he is doing which both player should be doing anyways. Most games I have played with any number of player has been a grudge match and no one in my group ever goes just military because mostly it doesn't always have the best choices at times and the more you play it with player that have played the game the easier it is to counter military. But this is from my experience with the game. The Ancient World expansion adds a lot of variety and also make some of the card in the base game more balanced in game play which improves already a great designed game IMO. Hopes this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudder wrote:
The Ancient World expansion adds a lot of variety and also make some of the card in the base game more balanced in game play which improves already a great designed game IMO. Hopes this helps.

Wut??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.