Justine Ayers
United States
Caldwell
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on a card game with dice rolling integrated in it. It's a fantasy based dungeon crawler/old school type game. Currently I am exploring the areas of how to set up a scale for damage vs armor values. My to hit system is separate from the damage and armor systems (except in the case of a natural max roll). It's very d20 system except we are going with 1d10.

Is the best way to go about this to just simply make a scale of say what i would want to most powerful monster we would ever put in the game and make that the max cap for damage? Should i base it on racial so all goblins get a base damage of 2 then add what weapon i think they should have based on what the card is? In that case i would set up a list of racial base damage and a list for what weapon damage bonus to racial damage is (same for armor too i guess). Which is kinda how the hero cards where going to work anyhow. They would get item cards that give them bonus to attack or armor.

Those where my ideas anyone have any better ideas or see any problems with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justine Ayers
United States
Caldwell
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
might help if i post the link to my WIP thread.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1397726/wip-dungeon-cra...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Nakahara
United States
Kula
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of thoughts I like the notion of an armor rating but the one thing to keep in mind is making things unhittable/undamageable; players (and to an extent your encounters) should always have a chance to affect their target, even if it's a small one. Have you thought of giving the effect of armor as bonus HP? So even durable targets with heavy armor could eventually get whittled down over time, albeit slowly.

I also like the idea of racially-based damage, the only thing is I like having data and info on the active cards and don't know if having players reference a master list of base racial modifiers would be too tedious or not, just the going back and forth. So instead of referencing a card list (if I understand this correctly) and then back to the encounter card + modifiers/modifying cards might be a minor point that'll hinder the players, whereas you could just keep racial damage consistent but on the actual encounter card, i.e. all goblin encounters can have base damage 2 written on the cards, just not kept only a separate reference card on the side.

Just my 2 pennies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.