My Entry for the July 24 Hour Contest
2-6 Players
15 Minutes

Components:
Rules
Regular Components
Low Ink Components
Zipped Component Files and Rules

12 Dice (not provided in component files)
6 Player Screens
10 3 Gold Tokens
30 1 Gold Tokens

Inquisition is a hidden roll/role game for 2-6 players. Players take on the role of medieval church leaders trying to reveal heretics and not be condemned as heretics themselves. The object of the game is to be the sole survivor of the Inquisition.

It will be obvious to anyone who reads the rules for Inquisition that this entry is heavily inspired by Rikki Tahta's Coup. What sets Inquisition apart it is not just a hidden role game but a hidden roll game. A few thematic additions like the Confess action and calling your friends heretics will hopefully serve to differentiate the game and make it more fun.

I will post links to the rules and components as they are completed. I have until 1255 tomorrow but I've been on a roll today.

Get it...

roll...

Contest Entry started @ 1255 CST

EDIT TO ADD DISCLAIMER:
Contest Entry ended @ 1255 CST on July, 22nd. All posts after this contain materials that are not to be considered for the contest. Images and ideas contained in posts below are for further development of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP]Inquisition - A Hidden Roll/Role Game (July 24 Hour Contest)
I would love feedback from anyone who has time to review the rules or would care to play the game. There are components but if you have something to use as coins and some player screens all you really need are the reference sheets on the last page of the components pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Ratcliffe
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
*** EXPLORIANA *** Coming Soon 2018!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting method of using dice and having the dice represent the roles. I also believe the game looks to be very balanced. Then again, I'd say it's way too similar to coup; each of the abilities are almost identical. All you are really doing is eliminating the need for a deck of cards and replacing it with a set of dice. Apart from no card counting (which I think is a positive of Coup), the games should play much pretty much the same. As such, I don't believe it differentiates itself enough.

Btw, he confess action seem a bit harsh, being that you lose the game. It's enough of a downside that couldn't do anything on your turn. Maybe may it more of a gambling mechanic; 1/2: lose a coin, 3: nothing, 4/5: gain a coin, 6: gain a dice. I would find that much more reasonable. Then again, I'm unsure that such a mechanic is positive addition to the game. It may make it a bit more interesting to some but it's just going to annoy others and may distract from the core playing experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
golddmaster wrote:
It's an interesting method of using dice and having the dice represent the roles. I also believe the game looks to be very balanced. Then again, I'd say it's way too similar to coup; each of the abilities are almost identical. All you are really doing is eliminating the need for a deck of cards and replacing it with a set of dice. Apart from no card counting (which I think is a positive of Coup), the games should play much pretty much the same. As such, I don't believe it differentiates itself enough.

Btw, he confess action seem a bit harsh, being that you lose the game. It's enough of a downside that couldn't do anything on your turn. Maybe may it more of a gambling mechanic; 1/2: lose a coin, 3: nothing, 4/5: gain a coin, 6: gain a dice. I would find that much more reasonable. Then again, I'm unsure that such a mechanic is positive addition to the game. It may make it a bit more interesting to some but it's just going to annoy others and may distract from the core playing experience.

Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I appreciate your concerns about it being too much like Coup. I do plan on revisiting the design after this month's contest is over and I've had the opportunity to playtest and get some more feedback.

For the Confess action, I really like your idea of having several different outcomes.

The primary use for it that I saw was the point in Coup when I think a lot of players know that they are out of the game. I don't mean for the Confess action to be used a great deal, I mean for it to be the ultimate gamble to keep you in the game. If someone wants to use it to gain a 3rd die after someone else has lost a die, fine, but it may cost them the game and I think that's necessary to avoid a back and forth where players are continually confessing to regain dice.

When you're at 1 coin and your opponent has 7 and your facing a Papal Edict you can Confess and at least have a chance of staying in the game. Players may Confess when an opponent wasn't even going to issue a Papal Edict against them. I hope for funny moments where people react irrationally and moments where a player's luck may carry them through. That's what I think will differentiate the game.

One thing I like about the game is that because it is played with 6 sided dice there are 6 roles instead of 5, the added variety appeals to me. I think it allows for more openings. For instance, the default openings in Coup are either to: Duke or Ambassador. In Inquisition I hope that I've added a bit more possibility with openings.

One such is to open with the Sinner and collect Alms. This will net you 2 coins and keep you safe from the Pardoner. You can also open with the Pardoner and see where the weak links are. Opening with the Clergy is also viable because who's going to challenge getting a free coin? The Bishop might even make an appearance if you want to appear weak early and strengthen your rolls.

I know a lot of people enjoy the deduction elements of Coup (and lets face it, I've pretty much eliminated deduction and replaced it with more bluffing) but with this design I was hoping to make a game where failure is fun (especially your opponents) and no one feels like they're out of the game until they're out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't plan on making any changes to the components/rules for the game until after the contest is over but I do think I'm going to implement a pretty big change afterwards.

In Coup and the current iteration of Inquisition you are risking your cards/dice. You can lose both of your cards/dice in a single turn and lose the game. What I'd like to do is introduce what I'm calling your parish. Your parish are 4 or 5 tokens you have in front of you and they are what your risk instead of your dice. This gives players a little more leeway and makes the game a more comfortable length for my taste.

I've tested this change a few times and it seems to work well. I'm also going to have a look at the powers and see if I can make them a little more unique to the world of Inquisition.

In the long run, I'd like the game to be reminiscent of Coup but not just a dice based variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was able to playtest the game at our local Game Designer's Guild and it went over really well. The big change was having Parishes as the currency you are gambling as opposed to your dice. This keeps people on a more equal footing throughout the game.

I am considering adding cards which are additional roles players may claim. There would be 21 in all (the possible combinations of 2 dice without repeats) and 5 cards would be dealt out each game. The catch is that those roles require 2 specific rolls to use, of course lying is encouraged.

I came up with a cover image and would love to hear what people think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First impressions: I like it.
Thereafter: The T could be white, or the other letters could be black.
Will there be anything else added to the image? Its important to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
First impressions: I like it.
Thereafter: The T could be white, or the other letters could be black.
Will there be anything else added to the image? Its important to know.

Thanks Charles,

I'm really happy with how this turned out. The black T as a cross which contrasts with the white of the rest of the word is important to me for two reasons. The first, is that if I made it all one color the s,i,i,o would be washed out and illegible. The second, and more important reason, is that the black and white are evocative of both the colors of the clergy and how heresy could be viewed during the Inquisition.

I've used the seal of the Spanish Inquisition here because I really like the way it looks but I really want the setting to be more within the confines of the Medieval Inquisition.

I don't plan to add anything else to the image at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you did your research.

Quote:
the s,i,i,o would be washed out and illegible

I thought you might say that. I suggest making the outer part of the seal white or black, then in contrast, make the letters - including the cross from the seal - the opposite colour.

Will you be adding icons to suggest play duration, number of players, recommended age, a catch phrase... things like that? If not, then - I like it. People will pick up the box just to see if it fits their parameters (duration, player count, age).

All Good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've gotten to play this at our local Designer's meetup and the response was really positive.

The big change from the contest entry is that you are betting with 4 tiles called your parishes and NOT your dice. So you keep both of your dice for the entire game. I think that changes the dynamics of the game a lot from Coup.

I've been giving some thought to adding a deck of cards which require 2 particular rolls and allow some special more powerful action. This would make the Cardinal's ability to force a reroll more powerful if someone is claiming a particular special action.

So, for instance a card might require a 3 and a 3 and be named the Monastery. The action would be each Player must pay you 2 coins in the coming round or forfeit a Parish.

I can see some of the cards stealing Parishes. I think it's a pretty exciting addition to the game and I look forward to testing these changes really sound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently posted this as a game that I had worked on with, what I thought to be, an interesting mechanic. I'm going to update the rules and post them. As described in the previous post (Over 2 Years Ago), instead of losing dice players lose Parishes.

It really played well this way and I'm going to see if I can find any interest. Is the theme too serious? I really like how it works in the game. In a witch hunt, a desperate sinner may claim to have the backing of the pope himself, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.