United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp There's something profoundly disturbing about a band featuring both underage Asian girls and burned out metalheads. But maybe that's just me...gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
gulp There's something profoundly disturbing about a band featuring both underage Asian girls and burned out metalheads. But maybe that's just me...gulp

Why?

I asked a few of my female friends in Osaka about things like this. I asked if they went to a concert where there were 14 year old girls singing and dancing...and they saw a 50 year old man singing along in the crowd and waving his hands...what would they think.

First what would you think of that man, and his obsession with a 14-year old girl band?

Now for their answer:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Nothing wrong with it.

As for the song...it is ok. The guy is just a gimmic to set them apart from typical J-pop groups. Its ok and catchy...but won't last long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cabalzero wrote:
gulp There's something profoundly disturbing about a band featuring both underage Asian girls and burned out metalheads.

No way; the metal dude makes it less disturbing.

"Put an Archbishop in there watching them; that'll take the curse off it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:

As for the song...it is ok. The guy is just a gimmic to set them apart from typical J-pop groups. Its ok and catchy...but won't last long.

I beg to differ, Ladybeard (that's his name) is a genius Kawaii wrestler that knows how to resonate with japanese subculture. I think it's going to last ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that is just a tad disturbing ...Goes to show different cultures do things differently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
TunzaG wrote:
Well that is just a tad disturbing ...Goes to show different cultures do things differently...

Like public groping on a Japanese subway. Sure, they do things differently but the reasons are still important. I'm a Japanophile but I'm not chaulking it up to being OK due to cultural differences.

I personally love the juxtaposition of bearded wrestlers and Kawaii subculture, and I can see why people would not like it.
But comparing it to sexual herassment/abuse is a little excessive imho.

Maybe this discussion should be moved to Religion, Sex and Politics subforum. I only wanted to show a remarkable music video, but if there's a healthy disussion to be had I'd love to have it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
I'm interested in the idea that a 50 year old man's obsession with a 14-year old girl band is acceptable in Japanese culture. I'm interested in a better explanation than my female friends in Japan think there's nothing wrong it it and 'different cultures do things differently'.

And on the same side we can ask why there is something wrong with a 50 year old man's obsession with a 14-year old girl band. Or can we just say that is our cultural difference that assumes he is a pedo off of that?

Anyway...we are probably driving this to RSP quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.