6 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Only Get Dealt 2 Survivors Instead of 4 at Beginning? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Scott
msg tools
mb
So my friends and I have been playing DoW for awhile, and it's getting to the point where we win every game (though for some reason we rarely seem to have a traitor).

I was wondering if anybody has tried just being dealt two survivors at the start and you get what you get. There are certain characters that none of us have ever used because, quite frankly, they're not very good (looking at you, Forest and Buddy), and we never end up drawing them.

This would serve to both ramp up difficulty and keep the game a little more fresh with seeing new faces. On the flip side, do you think people would be bummed out all game if they ended up with two bad characters?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Carpenito
msg tools
I think it could work out. We are already beginning to get a little bored over how easy this game can be when there's no betrayer... When we play in five it's very likely we end up with three or four of the very powerful searchersand one or two fighters, plus everyone will always pick the cook anyway if she shows up
I'd say getting random survivors could be a welcome change

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually picked Forest a couple of times when I've had a personal objective that was served by using his ability. He's generally not great though.

I might try it. Our wins have gotten a little stale. Everyone picks Sparky if given the chance, even though I think he's in the middle or below on the power curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alsark wrote:
So my friends and I have been playing DoW for awhile, and it's getting to the point where we win every game (though for some reason we rarely seem to have a traitor).

I was wondering if anybody has tried just being dealt two survivors at the start and you get what you get. There are certain characters that none of us have ever used because, quite frankly, they're not very good (looking at you, Forest and Buddy), and we never end up drawing them.

This would serve to both ramp up difficulty and keep the game a little more fresh with seeing new faces. On the flip side, do you think people would be bummed out all game if they ended up with two bad characters?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Are you playing hard mode objectives? I can't imagine any group regularly winning those.

You could also go with one secret objective card per player plus one betrayer instead of the usual two secret cards per player. That would up the tension quite a bit.

Or you could get the usual four survivor cards, pick one for you and one for the player to your left. That could make it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like the idea. We never play survivor cards unless we lose someone. If you had two bad characters you would have more incentive to play additional survivors in an attempt to get a better one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joonas
Finland
flag msg tools
We tried this, for the same reasons you listed. My initial thoughts are that completely random selection is a bit too random. Next time we'll probably try "draw 3, pick 2".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.