Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Knoll
United States
Manhasset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My coworkers Sumit (Green - Galatia), Mike (Yellow - Numidia), Rebecca (Black - Italy) played a team game against Daryl (Blue - Egypt) and myself (Red - Macedonia and Purple - Spain) using my team A&A rules variant. This variant is based on the classic rules. This was the second game we played in the same day. Please note that in this game, we changed my variant rules so that the team that moved second (Macedonia/Spain/Egypt) would each start the game with an extra infantry (6 instead of 5). All of the other rules changes in my variant article apply to this game.

The image above is taken after both teams had their first move of the game. Italy decided not to take Narbonensis and Dalmatia, so there was no combat during this turn. Mike (leading the Numidians) decided to build a boat, which I thought would be used to take islands nearby, but he had other things in mind (note that Mike decided to move the boat to the eastern beach later in the game).

The above image was taken during the 3rd turn in the game but before the Macedonia/Spain/Egypt team got a turn to play. The big surprise was that Numidia landed 4 infantry and 1 cavalry into Achaia. Macedonia decided to torch their city in Thracia, and turtle into Macedonia. Galatia send a large force into Thracia and even took Moesia. Meanwhile Italy built a catapult and sent it with a large army into Dalmatia.

Spain and Egypt were able to take advantage of the other team ganging up on Macedonia and each had a large amount of territory. Egypt moved into Africa Prcons

On Macedonia's team turn. I had Macedonia send all of their troops west into Dalmatia and attack Italy's armies. This did some damage but unfortunately, when Italy retreated my pursuit failed to get any hits and the catapult got away (this was the beginning of my bad luck with dice). Egypt moved into Cilicia to try to take some pressure off of Macedonia.

The above image was taken during the 4th turn, before the Macedonian team's movement.

Italy and Numidia attacked the Macedonian army in Dalmatia. The losses were similar on both sides, but the Macedonian forces retreated to Pannonia. Galatia moved into Macedonia itself.

The above image was taken during turn 5, before the Macedonian team's movement.

Italy tried to reinforce its home territory as much as possible, but their income was suffering. Numidia took Tinghana away from Spain. Galatia moved a large army into Dalmatia. Galatia pushed Egyptian forces out of Cilicia.

During the other teams turn, A combined attack from Spain (which had a very large income at this time) and Macedonia attack and took Italy. Unfortuantely, they couldn't kill that Italian Catapult again in the pursuit when Italy and Numidia fled to Southern Italy.

I think the above image was taken right before turn 7, before the Italian lead team made their move. We had one round of buildup during turn 6 where there was not a lot of action. After much talk, they decided to launch a combined attack against Italy with mostly Galatian and Italian forces (there were some from Numidia left over). The armies were pretty equal (about 15 units on both sides). The attacker would roll 10 dice and the defenders (with the fortified city, but the attackers had 2 catapults) would roll 11 dice. The outcome after the first roll was 8 dead for the Macedonian led forces, and only 4 for the Italian led forces. I decided to retreat the army and took another 2 losses from pursuit. I thought the game was pretty much over at this point, but decided to launch a counterattack the next turn and hope I would get lucky.

The above image was taken at the end of the game (end of turn 6). Spain and Macedonia launched an attack against Italy. The armies were close again (about 11 units on each side), but the Italian defenders got to roll 12 dice against 10, and they had 2 catapults against 0 catapults. The results one very one sided (6 or 7 casulties against 3 or 4).

At this point Daryl and I decided to concede the game. Macedonia was out and Italy now was too strong to ever be taken back by Spain alone. Galatia dominated most of Asia and Numidia was on the move in northern Africa

We got the game done in less than 2 hours. The game moves fast and there is very little downtime. The luck can be very brutal, but you have to expect that with games like this. I thought the teams were well balanced and the game could have gone either way. I thought each of the units (the 3 land units and the 1 ship unit) all had their uses and all saw time on the board. I also think there are a lot of strategies each side can play - although I think most of the pressure of the game will fall on either Macedonia or Italy. If you play either of these countries, you better get ready for a beating! I also think the game would be interesting as a 4 player game with a 2 v 2 team play. Overall, although I would not consider this to be a top tier (10%) game, I had a fun time and would like to try it again.

Thank you to all the players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Closeup of the lions circling the Macedonians. They would prove to be as hard to exterminate as a cockroach infestation, and in fact they did scurry all over the map, eventually over to Spain.

First off, I will say I have not liked Risk-like games or dice-roll war games for a while now. Whenever I'm rolling dice in combat, I always think, "I'd rather play Summoner Wars." Plus, they take too long (another plus for SW).

Having said that, I was impressed with this game. The incentive to mix your troops was ingeniously simple. We even had a naval battle and started setting up a blockade. It gave a feeling of playing Axis & Allies without having to suffer the hours of the Russian winter or waiting for the sleeping giant to awaken. This game played in less than 2 hours. With very little downtime. Very nice.

I never played the standard game, only this variant. Team play made it very interactive. Did I mention very little downtime?

I doubt I would like the standard game much, esp with 6. Being Macedonia or Italy would be a short-straw draw. In teams, your options multiply. At one point, the Italian Ceasar was nearly wiped out, so I used my boat (that thing was really helpful) and shipped him off to safety. He lived for the "Free Italy" movement, and probably cried when he was restored to power.

It may be a bit of a contradiction for me, like "healthier potato chip", but if I was going to play Risk or a wargame, I would definitely go for this one (using the team variant).

Thanks for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Knoll
United States
Manhasset
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:

Closeup of the lions circling the Macedonians. They would prove to be as hard to exterminate as a cockroach infestation, and in fact they did scurry all over the map, eventually over to Spain.

First off, I will say I have not liked Risk-like games or dice-roll war games for a while now. Whenever I'm rolling dice in combat, I always think, "I'd rather play Summoner Wars." Plus, they take too long (another plus for SW).

Having said that, I was impressed with this game. The incentive to mix your troops was ingeniously simple. We even had a naval battle and started setting up a blockade. It gave a feeling of playing Axis & Allies without having to suffer the hours of the Russian winter or waiting for the sleeping giant to awaken. This game played in less than 2 hours. With very little downtime. Very nice.

I never played the standard game, only this variant. Team play made it very interactive. Did I mention very little downtime?

I doubt I would like the standard game much, esp with 6. Being Macedonia or Italy would be a short-straw draw. In teams, your options multiply. At one point, the Italian Ceasar was nearly wiped out, so I used my boat (that thing was really helpful) and shipped him off to safety. He lived for the "Free Italy" movement, and probably cried when he was restored to power.

It may be a bit of a contradiction for me, like "healthier potato chip", but if I was going to play Risk or a wargame, I would definitely go for this one (using the team variant).

Thanks for the game!

Thank you Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for doing this interesting variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.