BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: So recently Obama was saying that... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to win in the Middle East we need to win with idealism. Make our way of thinking more appealing to win over the hearts and minds of the people that are openly hostile towards us.

Do you think this would work? Are these people to set in their ways for this to work? They seem to be rock solid over the last couple thousand years...

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
How about we do this one a bit different and you tell us what you think first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
In order to win in the Middle East we need to win with idealism. Make our way of thinking more appealing to win over the hearts and minds of the people that are openly hostile towards us.

Do you think this would work? Are these people to set in their ways for this to work? They seem to be rock solid over the last couple thousand years...

What do you think?

I think we can't win over the middle east by making our way of thinking more appealing. Nor can we win it over with sporadic bombing campaigns, drone attacks, and brush wars. I think the Muslim world needs to go through its version of the reformation, and come to sanity on its own terms.

Keen to hear your two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I wonder exactly which way of thinking he means when he says "our"?

I presume this refers to broad western values of representative democracy, independent judiciary, and religious pluralism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

I presume this refers to broad western values of representative democracy, independent judiciary, and religious pluralism.

Oh, so not his own, then.

Yeah, he's basically Pol Pot. The last straw was when he changed the currency from the U.S. dollar to human skulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

By "our" he was indirectly quoting Mr. Obama.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
sbszine wrote:
Yeah, he's basically Pol Pot. The last straw was when he changed the currency from the U.S. dollar to human skulls.

if obama was pol pot right-wingers would applaud him for forcing pussified liberal urbanites to work in teh fields~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

What do you think?

He'll do about as well as his predecessor.

A friend of mine calls Obama "Bush 2.0" and it does seem apt at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

What do you think?

I think we can't win over the middle east by making our way of thinking more appealing. Nor can we win it over with sporadic bombing campaigns, drone attacks, and brush wars. I think the Muslim world needs to go through its version of the reformation, and come to sanity on its own terms.

Noble intentions, indeed. How long of a time frame, and how many deaths of Westerners, will that take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
sbszine wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

What do you think?

Noble intentions, indeed. How long of a time frame, and how many deaths of Westerners, will that take?

My guess is that it will be less than there were during the west's version of the reformation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
...and how many deaths of Westerners, will that take?

The Muslim world is already changing and the number of locals dying, both Muslims and non-Muslims, far exceeds the number of Westerners or other outsiders killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
batman wrote:
]

My guess is that it will be less than there were during the west's version of the reformation.

Why? The 30 Years War led to the deaths of roughly 25% of the populations of Europe. Not directly by battle but everything from collateral damage to starvation, etc. That's a lot of people but it was 30 years. And medical science could likely have reduced those deaths by maybe 80%, like now.

Unless you mean specific burnings, executions because of Protestant beliefs. That's a tiny, tiny fraction of what happens every month for the last decade or two in car bombings, bus bombings, market bombings, mass beheadings, mass executions, etc. The Church back then was kindergarten level in comparison to the Islamic radicals.

Realistically if the Muslim faith actually went through a reform then only a foolish optimist wouldn't factor in WMD's as a primary tool. Add that to the difference between the Church back then and the Jihadists now -- the Church didn't declare that anyone not bowing to them had to die and that killing them was a glorious ticket to the hereafter -- and I'd guess the toll would be many, many, many times the deaths back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I think there would be plenty of deaths, but I also think that these would be mostly contained to the areas of conflict and wouldn't have anywhere near as big of an impact on westerners. That area of the world is so tribalized that most of them would be too busy with their immediate neighbors to worry about what's going on across the ocean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.