Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and started playing solo on Vassal. Right now I'm not too concerned with strategy I just want to get the rules down. For the Russian Turn 1 special combat segment I activated 1GdA and attacked Jul/Trd with 160/309, 172/270, 267/350 (6/2=3:1), rolled a 2, NE. I also attacked ltRav with 41G/44G and 1 (7:1), rolled a 3 and destroyed the unit.

Then the first chit drawn from the Mug was 1GdA. So I was able to move my units south and overran lt8A HQ (which I then relocated). I was also able to flank and surround ltTor and lt PADA and got a Dr2 result from the attack. They were both destroyed due to losing a step for ZOCs. I also attacked Trd/Jul again with the same six units and got a NE result (again).
So here is the map after the first command phase is complete:

So I hope I haven't made any major goofs. Did I relocate to an eligible hex? Also, when I load the game to continue does it continue with the same logfile or do I need to start a new one? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osprey
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Errg...Argh..
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ed.
You done good. That's a pretty standard opening for the Russians. Too bad you didn't get the retreat on Trd/Jul. Just remember that if you do make them retreat and advance across the major river there that you will be out of supply at the end of the turn unless you can open up a clear route to your units either by clearing the bridge hex to the north or clearing out the units to your south. I think the first couple times I played the game I did not even notice that. You should have definitely clobbered the It Cun & Cos units on your first chit pull though to open that whole area up and free up those infantry units behind the river. On the flip side of that, the Tor and PADA units can be a real pain in the ass, especially since they are on rough, so you did a good job eliminating them.

All in all, good first game.

Oh, and by the way, once you end a logfile and save it, when you reload it you do need to go to the file menu and begin a new logfile. Not so long ago I was playing a game as the Russians and drew STAVKA. It took me a long time to do that move and then I realized I didn't start a new logfile. I was totally pissed after all that time and I had to go back through the chat log and recreate every single move to reconstruct the turn. I'm not the fastest player so I think the whole thing took me about 4 or 5 hours. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vidbot wrote:
I activated 1GdA and attacked Jul/Trd with 160/309, 172/270, 267/350 (6/2=3:1)

Did you mean to say that you activated 6A? Otherwise I don't understand how you can attack with 309, 270, etc. Just learning the rules myself so maybe I missed something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An activated HQ can activate all friendly combat units (not other HQs) within its Command Range regardless of ID/symbol. See rule 7.3.2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah, I missed that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Moves fine, rules fine, as others have remarked. Just a strategy tip. It is usually a good idea to leave one rifle division back where you have the Guards Army HQ, covering both the HQ and the river crossings. After you've played the first 2 turns a few times you may see why.

Double moves can do the darndest things, and those German panzer divisions are *fast*. If one can snake through your ZOCs and reach the HQ and make it displace, it can paralyze the units previously in its range - and at the same time cut the supply lines across the major river and leave said units out of supply at the end of a full game turn.

It is so early this isn't a big deal yet. But you'll find it useful to plan ahead for a poor sequences of chits, using the moves of the formation just activated to make sure that no matter what happens, the force can move and fight again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.