Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I picked up the Legendary Marvel Base Set recently and I've really been enjoying it. It's a nice, friendlier change-of-pace from the LOTR LCG, which is where I spend most of my board gaming time.

I tried to track down all the expansions, only to find that not only is Fantastic Four out of print, it is extremely out of print. The cheapest copy I can find is $68, but it's more commonly going for up to $80.

This saddens me because by all accounts it's a solid set of cards (at least hero cards), but also because it now seems pretty unlikely I'll be able to nab a complete set. This, silly as it may sound, dampens my enthusiasm to really invest in the Legendary system at all.

If anyone has a spare copy they're will to sell to a new player, I would very happily take it off your hands. I'm even happy to pay a hefty premium over MSRP out of respect for it being so (seemingly) profoundly OOP. Just trying to avoid paying a ridiculous $70 dollars.

I know it's a longshot, but I thought if anyone would understand my OCD completionist tendencies, it would be this group

Edit: To clarify, used would be fine. I intend to open and use the set - not keep it shrinkwrapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad to hear, maybe they'll reprint it once Fantastic Four the movie keels over or Marvel decides to abandon the kill quest? There are still a lot of BN copies here, but I'm from the Philippines, so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P W
msg tools
I was having this conversation just about 20 minutes ago with one of my buddies after we were wrapping up a 2-player evening of the game. I really hope there is a fix for this absence of Fantastic Four, because it is a great set. The Heroes are great. I feel so bad for people that pick up an interest in Legendary and then have no way to complete the full breadth of the game without paying an arm an a leg for this expansion. I wish you the best of luck. It's a great game, and Fantastic Four expansion is a really good additional reason why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
I was going to recommend French Amazon as they had it listed at about €25 but they've sold out - I just nabbed a copy from a third party vendor for about €50 instead

I guess you're best off digging through actual games shops somewhere hoping for a miracle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As was mentioned, check your local Barnes & Noble. They may have a copy on the shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you check your local game shops. I've seen it in stock at some of the ones around here. If you have trouble finding it and I see it, I'll happily pick you up a copy. It's definitely an important set to have. All the hero cards have use and come on... who doesn't want to fight Galactus? I'll make some phone calls and see if I can track it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Wilson
United States
Oceanside
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat here in San Diego, been checking every nook and cranny I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, ErrorJustin. I found a place here that actually has more than one copy in stock. I'll pick up yours, then we can work out the rest. They have it for the base price of $19.99.

Also, good news in general. I called 5 different shops in an effort to track it down. They all said that it WILL BE COMING BACK OUT. Every one of them has it on pre order and said it should be back in stock within the next couple of months. I obviously can't make an official confirmation of that (Devin, Brenzor, Jeff?), but they all said the same thing.

I sent you a private message, Justin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
Jemjar wrote:
I was going to recommend French Amazon as they had it listed at about €25 but they've sold out - I just nabbed a copy from a third party vendor for about €50 instead

I guess you're best off digging through actual games shops somewhere hoping for a miracle.

So the €50 vendor emailed me to say that when they went to find their three copies the shelf was empty and that I would have to cancel my order...

But I discovered a copy in the depths of my local game shop for a mere €30 - so I'm a happy player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ana Tafur
msg tools
If anyone has a set for sale or finds a set in the Minnesota metro area, please let me know. My son just started playing this game and Fantastic 4 is the only xp we can't find. thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently found a copy at a comic book store. Try your local store if they sell games, since it is comic related. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In case anyone is stumbling onto this topic now and doesn't want to be let hanging - BuddhaRock came through and sent me a copy of Fantastic Four he found that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Yay!

Thanks for all the suggestions that I check B&N, etc., but I live in a really big city with a lot of enthusiasts, so in my experience it's almost impossible to ever find "unicorns" in person at board game shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gray
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I could help, sir. You get that in a lot of bit cities, but luckily Indy is pretty much the American capital of board gaming, so tracking games down usually doesn't take too much effort. You just have to know who to talk to. Enjoy it, though! It's definitely one of the better expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have limited tracking skills and would love to have some help tracking down a copy. My wife loves this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go, BuddhaRock!

I had a similar experience when getting in to the game recently - I bought the base game about a month ago, and started looking into what expansions were available - as soon as I saw there was a Fantastic Four expansion my heart sank a little - once I started looking for it online it sank a lot.

However, I rang my FLGS and they had a copy in stock!

I couldn't believe it - so I hotfooted it down there straight away.

I now already have the Fantastic Four, Paint The Town Red, Guardians Of The Galaxy, and Dark City expansions.

And I know Villains, Fear Itself, and Secret Wars won't be far behind.

I've already lost count of how many times I've played the game in the past month and feel like I am still barely scratching at it's surface.

The game is just immense fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Mappin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation, having just bought the game and expansions. My kids LOVE this game and we're getting a lot of play out of it. Both my son and daughter are FF fans and I've physically gone to six local game/comic stores hoping to find a FF box. I really don't want to pay the scalping eBay prices.

So if anyone knows any stores in their area that I could call and arrange to order directly from, I'd appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Abulia wrote:
I'm in a similar situation, having just bought the game and expansions. My kids LOVE this game and we're getting a lot of play out of it. Both my son and daughter are FF fans and I've physically gone to six local game/comic stores hoping to find a FF box. I really don't want to pay the scalping eBay prices.

So if anyone knows any stores in their area that I could call and arrange to order directly from, I'd appreciate it!

I wish you the best of luck, but as this item has officially become both a collector's item AND something that people want to open and play with, I think the odds of finding a store selling it for MSRP are quite slim.

The realistic options are:
1. Pay the marked up price.
2. Proxy the cards.
3. Wait for Upper Deck to get the go-ahead to reprint the set.

With Fantastic Four (the movie) bombing the way it did, everyone is hopeful that Fox and Marvel will work out some sort of deal. Fox is currently planting its feet and saying "no!" but we'll see how long that lasts in the face of losing millions of dollars. Once such a deal is announced, I think we can expect the Fantastic Four products to flood back into the market. Maybe Secret Wars Vol. 3 can include Reed Richards and Doctor Doom (aka the main characters from Secret Wars.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Put some Legendary cards in sleeves.

2) Write the card text for the cards you don't have on slips of paper.

3) Put the paper in the sleeves, in front of the existing cards.

4) Play.

(For masterminds, you could potentially skip the sleeves, and just make a stack of paper.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you don't use sleeves, use the cards that have the Legendary card back on both sides (some come in Villains and.. I think SWv1?) Mark 5 as common 1, 5 as common 2, 3 as uncommon, 1 as rare. Then just have the text for the cards off to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua C
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually working on an Alt Art set of Fan4 myself that I'll post when I finish it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Monson
Australia
Heathmont
VIC
flag msg tools
mb
How did you go with this? Would love to print up and alternative art set via artscow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to be missing a Silver Surfer 5 card, name eludes me now. Barring making a copy does anyone happen to have a spare 5 card laying around? Heh, I have every expansion and only missing that card. As to why I never got in contact with UD to replace it...I threw away my receipt. Lesson learned. My OCD would like to prevent printing an alternate art card, but if that's the best I can do then that's the best I can do. Been checking ebay religiously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.