Robert S
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If all the players have read the campaign guide, does it spoil the fun from the game or DM/GM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There'll be a lot less trepidation by the Rebels to open certain Doors, but I don't think it will be that bad. How much can you remember about events which haven't yet happened and deployment point positions anyway?

Edit: Also, just because it is so important... All players should definitely read p2 of the Campaign Guide. There are no spoilers, and you'll be much less likely to mess up with what you do or don't say to the Rebels if everyone has read those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason for all players to have read the guide (other than being an imperial player and seeing the missions they have actually played)?

Like Clipper says, everyone should be very familiar with the second page of the campaign book, but not read mission setups and rules that they have not played yet.

In my experience, every mission still plays differently even if you have played the mission before due to different imperial class deck, which heroes are in play, what skills and equipment they have, what agenda cards have been bought, which open groups the imperial player selects, the selected strategy, and the roll of the dice.

But certainly, you should not read missions that you are not playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis S
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I believe is spoils the fun. The moment the players freak out when Vader mysteriously shows up, is lost when everyone knows that he shows up/where he shows up etc.

The game is much more fun without everyone reading the campaign guide.

If everyone feels they need to read the campaign book, that is suspect to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely.

There is a lot of fun to be had for the REBELS in not knowing what's coming as well as for the IP popping it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even read the campaign ahead of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Guindon
Canada
Elliot Lake
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zero reason for any rebel players to be looking and yes, it completely ruins all the surprises you get.

When I rebelled up after running a few games, i pretended i didn't know anything so i could see the joy of horror in the rest of the rebels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a player who was insistent that he look at the campaign guide at every plot twist. I found it distracting and disruptive. I think of it as a classic pen and paper RPG. You don't grab the DM's notebook and start flipping through it to see what's next around the corner.

As for other players who are familiar with the campaign mode, i guess it depends on their retention of the mission. I remember when we played Descent 2 edition.

There were some scenarios where the players knew every strategy, where the monsters spawned, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading Yesterday wrote:
I had a player who was insistent that he look at the campaign guide at every plot twist. I found it distracting and disruptive. I think of it as a classic pen and paper RPG. You don't grab the DM's notebook and start flipping through it to see what's next around the corner.

You are reading the whole section whenever a twist is triggered, right? If not, you should be (except for choices you don't choose to resolve). Just let him know that he can ask you to repeat anything you've previously said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.

Gunnison
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely reading the plot twists to the players when they are triggered and placing the troops as indicated by the scenario, I explain the mechanics to the players, yet this player asks me for the scenario book after reading everything to the players, it tends to derail the game a bit. Unfortunately we haven't moved past the first mission. Shame cause I really like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written say that you're supposed to read out loud the plot text and relevant game rules as they trigger, but they're not suppose to get the book. If he doesn't trust you to read it correctly, than he is being a jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
Speaking as someone who played through as the Imperials a couple times (only really looking at the missions I needed to) and then played through as the rebels, there was only a single surprise I was very glad to remember

Spoiler (click to reveal)
and that was that on Fenn's character mission, don't destroy the AT:ST, I don't care that they give you a cool and novel way to do it, it'll soak up a lot of effort and activations that'd be better spent avoiding it and if you do destroy it it'll blow up hurting your heroes if they're nearby and spawning more enemies to deal with.

Honestly, I'd just put that down to poor scenario design though. If you're going to give the rebels an optional method/objective on how to destroy a powerful threatening enemy, you shouldn't punish them for doing so. It's even worse if you just almost finish it with the charges and then take it down in the middle of a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trading Yesterday wrote:
I explain the mechanics to the players, yet this player asks me for the scenario book after reading everything to the players

Let him read the second page, specifically the STOP part at the end of the page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ty
United States
California
flag msg tools
During the first game I ever played, we did the tutorial mission no problem. But Aftermath does add quite a bit to the game play mechanics. Since it was very new to all of us, we all used the campaign guide to interpret the mission. Yes, it probably spoiled it a bit for the Rebels. But it did give them a very good look at how future missions work with deployment points, end of round actions and such.

If I play again with people that haven't played before, I'm going to play Aftermath the way it is supposed to be played (don't show the campaign guide to the Rebels). But after we're done with that mission, I'm going to show them the guide so they can see what happened and why.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes, they'll see there are 2 things that could've happened during the Lockdown event
But I know that it will give them better knowledge of how future missions are going to work. I think that will also help the Rebels have a more fair opportunity for the rest of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.