6 Posts

K-Day: Kaiju War!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Pacific Rim retheme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Can't stand to wait til Aug 2017 for Pacific Rim 2?

I know I can't! So I spent the past few weeks working on a retheme based on the movie. Instead of Japan, you will be destroying, well, the Pacific Rim countries meeple

I hope to introduce a couple of new elements without adding too many new rules. So far I've managed to keep to just a half page glossary, explaining a couple of new terms used.

The game sheet, however, will now be split into 2. Here's a preview of the current version I'm play-testing with:

Stay tuned if you are interested. I will complete my final rounds of play-tests and will post links to the files in a couple of weeks if it turns out ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks amazing.
I'll be looking forward getting the files!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
K-Day: Pacific Rim is ready for downloading.

Low ink version: [edit] uploaded under Files section

Color version: [edit] uploaded under Files section

It's pretty much the same game, with a couple of new elements added:

1. Kaiju selection - you get to choose between 4 Kaiju, each with their own unique permanent skill, on top of their expendable special attacks.

2. There are 3 Jaegars (Guardian Kaiju in the original game) patrolling 3 separate tracks on the map. They hunt more efficiently due to their less random movement. 4 of them have special actions that activate during their movement or combat phases.

3. Changes to the map - Anti-Kaiju Walls are minor inconvenience to your Kaiju, adding to the theme of the movie. There are also more Ocean spaces now, as you need to travel across the Pacific Ocean.

If you get a chance to try this out, I would love to hear of any feedback from you before I upload them on to the 'files' section.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool. The very linear map was one of the few things that subtracted from this game, so it's great to see a more open map.

zombie_homer wrote:
There are 3 Jaegars [...]. 4 of them have special actions that activate during their movement or combat phases.

4 out of the 3 Jaegars? Either I'm missing something or your math is a bit off here .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Thanks Morten!

mortenmdk wrote:
4 out of the 3 Jaegars? Either I'm missing something or your math is a bit off here .

I was referring to the pool of 6 available jaegers, not the 3 deployed. So it's 4 out of 6, it's still good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.