Subject: Crossfire Event "Scavenging" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Katrin Haug
Germany
Sindelfingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no native english speaker, so I have some problems with the Crossfire Event "Scavenging"

"At the start of each turn, the current runner randomly discards 1 card. Then for each of their roles, that runner can return a card from their discard to their hand that has a color that matches that role color.
3+: Instead, that runner randomly discards 1 card after returning cards."

So, what's happening with three or more crossfire events in the discard in a 4 runners game?
A) The runner discards 1 random card, then gets 1 card with his color from his discard (if possible), then discards another random card.
B) The runner gets 1 card with his color from his discard (if possible), then discards 1 random card.
C) Something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I say it's B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe in one of the designers' playthrough videos, they played it as A. I never saw B as an option, but looking at it now, I can see the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's A too, but the 3+ text maybe should have "In addition" or something similar in place of "Instead", which is a bit misleading. You are not substituting an action: you are adding one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if it's written "instead" it's making a substitution, it's replacing the original "order"...

If that's not the intent then it's poorly written!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but the standard actions are:

- discard a random card
- return a card (or possibly more) from the discard pile

On 3+ there's an "Instead AFTER returning cards", but after returning the cards, usually nothing happens... so instead of what?

That it is poorly written was exactly my point
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrin Haug
Germany
Sindelfingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know that I'm not the only one that is confused whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff T
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it as 'A' ; "instead", should probably have been "additionally".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's B!

(I don't think we would have had any trouble coming up with an unambiguous and concise and easy-to-read wording if it were A. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a surprise! Thanks for clarifying, I'd wondered about it but have never had scavenging with 3 or more crossfires.

When's the next video with the designers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so what changes is the order of the actions! Not sure why but I would never have interpreted it that way... thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrin Haug
Germany
Sindelfingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Sean!

It's so cool to get the answer by the designer himself thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
It's B!

(I don't think we would have had any trouble coming up with an unambiguous and concise and easy-to-read wording if it were A. )

I was alone but I was right!!!

I didn't see any ambiguity... Like I said, it says "instead" if it's instead it replaces the previous order... the only way this wasn't the right reply was if the text on the card was poorly chosen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing that it was A =X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now understand how to read the card. The instead means "Don't do the top part do this part." I still don't catch why should I respect color. It's pick a card from discard, then discard one, no?

And if it's litterally B, what happen if I don't have my color in the dicard pile ? I must always discard ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the spirit of the card...

You get 1 card from your role from the discard pile and then randomly you discard a card from your hand...

If you don't have a card of your color in the discard pile it's obvious that you don't get to return a card to your hand and that you'll have to then discard 1 card randomly from your hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.