United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm getting deeper into this game lately, and I'm finding I often come up short, character-wise.

The game I played last night, I was able to score an early-game relic, and corner the Necromancer in the Mountains. Unfortunately for me, unlucky die rolls meant I was not prepared, and ended up losing the game, after some particularly ghastly hero-death-churn.

I feel like if I had bided my time and found a few more powers, I would have been in a much better situation, but I don't really have a feel for how long I should be searching before confronting the Necromancer. Also, artifacts seem crazy rare, but I apparently never search in the Swamp.

So, how long do you usually search and such prior to confronting the Necromancer? And how do I find those delicious artifacts more efficiently?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go straight for the ruins. You can get keys really quickly and with good success rates there. Because the game can get out of hand if certain blights hit the table, I find it important to get a surge of keys early on.

Then the rest depends on the game state. If I have a good powered up character and the Necromancer can be drawn to an area low on blights I will go for it. But I never chase this solely because fighting the Necromancer is never guaranteed. But if you get three relics then that is almost auto win.

Overall, judge the game state and the darkness track to determine the best course of action. If the board is covered in blights then the ritual victory is best, but if you can ambush the Necromancer in an area with ought blights then go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Oy! Now I'm deep into another game, but with the opposite issue! I have some seriously over-leveled characters, (either 5 or 6 powers each), but only 1 key, and the darkness is at 16!

I'm doomed

Still no artifacts. Apparently there are only 15 in the whole map deck. So... that's super rare. I suspect most games see 0, and few see more than 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Artifacts are always rare, though they're a little more common with expansions. The first expansion gives a chance to get them from quests, while the second and fourth slightly increase the overall chance to find one from searching.

They are most common in the Swamp, but still only 11-15% (depending on expansion mix). They actually become slightly less common in the Swamp with expansions (but you get inspirations instead).

Some heroes have powers that can make finding artifacts more likely, such as the Scholar's Thoroughness, the Shaman's Spirit Sight, or the Monk's Clarity.

In the base game, I think I used to average almost 1 artifact per game, but there were plenty of games with 0.

Of course, when you consider how many different heroes there are, you're probably about as likely to have any given artifact in your game as you are to have any given non-starting power card in a game with random heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Anderson
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Search until darkness is about 17. Ideally, you now have a key, and 2 characters who are pretty good at fighting. Check and see if it is possible to form up a kill squad and win before the necro hits 20. If not, have one character prep a kill zone, a decoy keep the necromancer out of the kill zone, and everyone else search, heal, cast buffs, and whatever until darkness 22. Then kill the necromancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.