Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jet.com is a new site that is competing with Amazon. The way it works is that, almost all of your purchases reduce the total cost of the order (so buying one thing might bring down the total by $3, the next thing might minus $1, and so on). There is a membership fee of $50/Year, but right now, you can use the promo code: Accel0721A to get the first year free.

They have a pretty good selection of board games. Here's a permalink to the board game section with some major publishers selected.

It seems like a decent place to buy boardgames and it looks like their prices are pretty on-par with Amazon or better with the added savings. Also Free shipping on orders $35 or over and Free returns.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the promo code is already dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been poking around on it, comparing to Amazon, doing some school shopping.

The site is still pretty rough. The search engine and categories aren't all there--not all games are actually under board games, etc. Searches turn up odd items once in a while. Descriptions don't always indicate quantity etc.

The shopping cart is twitchy. It doesn't always update when you make changes in it (choose free return or not). You need to refresh the page.

But, the prices are good if you do the legwork to find things.

Xcom around 33 dollars. Battlestar Galactica around 35. Both ship free.

The more you add to the cart the more discounts stack.

I also like the option to refuse the free return on individual items (I'm not returning paper towels, etc.)

There's a further discount based on payment method (1.5% if you use debit instead of credit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Prices on board games aren't bad, but Ultra-pro stuff, it's damn near gouging. FLGS sell that stuff cheaper, nevermind Amazon/OGS. It also seems...odd. Like if I buy a game for $30 and it reduces the price by $3, why not just mark it $27?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
anatana wrote:
Looks like the promo code is already dead

Yep, it's dead Jim.

It says you can get a 3 month trial with purchase, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krumlauf
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to place my first order, no games but the experience may be instructive.

I had 4 items in the cart, a rice cooker, 2 3 ring binders, clorox wipes, wet napkins (school shopping for my kid).

It seems it doesn't check inventory or availability until checkout.

Result: neither the rice cooker nor the binders were actually available. They still show up when one searches and one can put them in a cart but when you try to buy they disappear.

So, half my order (the half I actually wanted--the other bits were extra) couldn't be placed.

So, no order placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
msg tools
gilby123 wrote:
Prices on board games aren't bad, but Ultra-pro stuff, it's damn near gouging. FLGS sell that stuff cheaper, nevermind Amazon/OGS. It also seems...odd. Like if I buy a game for $30 and it reduces the price by $3, why not just mark it $27?

They are trying to prevent other websites, like Amazon, from price-matching. Amazon sees the price as $30, not $27. Amazon will eventually find a way to see Jet.com's true price.

Everyone likes to get excited about the marketplace site that is going to topple Amazon. If Wal-Mart can't do it, the former CEO of Diapers.com won't be the one to do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, the site did launch today, so some bugs are expected. As long as they're working to fix them.

I was able to use the promo code. I guess it died shortly after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems to be just a middleman, they say they just make money of the subscription. Since most here know how to shop I kinda doubt they will conquer the game market.
I just think their way of showing the discount will just piss people off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zor Monkey
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If anyone is still interested, the promo code 'JHANLON' will work for a free 12 month subscription.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.