6 Posts

DC Comics Deck-Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dc Deck building Nightmare Game Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Jones
msg tools
dc deck building nightmare game mode

Quick description: nightmare mode is a very challenging gameplay variant, in which all the supervillains are impossible mode and there are regular villains in the main deck. However threw a process each player plays with 3 super heros and threw another process of auctioning(see (3)main deck auction) players will start the game with cards from the main deck already in there own decks.

-you'll need at least the original deck building game and crisis 1 but works better with both the original and heros unite as well as crisis 1 and crisis 2 main deck blended together in a balanced fashion.

(1)Set up
the set up for this game play is the exact same as other dc deck building games with a main deck, kick stack, weakness stack and with each player's starting deck consisting of 7 punches and 3 vulnerabilities.
All super-villains however are the impossible mode villains.

(2)Hero selection

Each player will play the game with three super heros each from a different tier group.

-1st tier Group: each player going in turn picks and keeps a hero from the first tier group.

1st tier heros: superman, batman, greenlantern, flash, wonder woman, martian manhunter, hawk man, night-wing, aquaman, Shazam, Black canary, indigo 1,

-2nd tier group: each player chooses or receives a random hero from the second tier group. After receiving and looking at their 2nd tier hero’s players must give their 2nd tier hero to another player going in turn.

-2nd tier Superheroes: swamp thing, starfire, green arrow, booster Gold, Red tornado, Red Lantern super Girl, White Lantern dead man.

-3rd: once more each player chooses or receives a random hero from the 3rd tier group. After receiving and looking at their 3rd tier hero’s players must give their 3nd tier hero to another player, going in turn.

-3rd tier Superheroes: robin, kyle Rayner, Constantine, Batgirl, Zatanna Zatara, saint walker, Star Sapphire.

(3)Main Deck Auction
-each player receives 15 coins or something to represent 15 coins/currency.
-draw out 15 cards face down from the main deck.
-reveal each card one at a time from the 15 drawn. players may bid there coins on the revealed card. (the minimum bid for each card is the cost of that card). When a player buys a card they add it into their deck.

Example: the first revealed card is aquaman's trident, So the minimum bid is 3 coins. Player 1 bids the minimum of 3 coins, then player 2 bids 4 coins. player 1 decides he will not bid 5 coins, so player 2 wins the bid and gets aquaman's trident to put into his deck and the next card of the fifteen card drawn off the top of the deck gets revealed, then the bidding starts again.

-this is done for each of the 15 cards that were drawn face down from the main deck.
-if there are no bids on a card then that card remains revealed and then starts off in the lineup at the beginning of the game.
-Players start the game with the cards the purchased at auction in there deck

(4) villains.
-At the start of the game before anyone takes their first turn each player randomly receives a normal Super-Villain. Each player going in turn must resolve their super villain's first appearance attack on their own. Players leave there supervillians out in front of them until they buy them during their turn

-Players cannot buy the impossible mode villains until they defeat/but there personal supervillians

-do not reveal the the top/first impossible mode super villain until after the first player buy there own personal supervillain.

-shuffle 6 unused supervillians into the main deck. When a super villain enters the lineup There first appearance attack happens *and all weakness in the destroyed pile are put back into the weakness stack.

(5) Lineup
-always add a card into the lineup regardless if there are already 5 or more cards. the Lineup must have a minimum of 5 cards in it.

-Example: if there are 5 cards in the lineup during your turn and you buy a kick instead of a card in the lineup then after your turn you still add a card from the main deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
let me know what you think and if you have any other ideas/advice. hope you give it a shot and have lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soulthief6 wrote:
-2nd tier group: each player chooses or receives a random hero from the second tier group.

How do you decided whether they get to choose or get one randomly?

Quote:
After receiving and looking at their 2nd tier hero’s players must give their 2nd tier hero to another player going in turn.

Huh?

Quote:
(3)Main Deck Auction
-each player receives 15 coins or something to represent 15 coins/currency.
-draw out 15 cards face down from the main deck.
-reveal each card one at a time from the 15 drawn. players may bid there coins on the revealed card. (the minimum bid for each card is the cost of that card). When a player buys a card they add it into their deck.

Example: the first revealed card is aquaman's trident, So the minimum bid is 3 coins. Player 1 bids the minimum of 3 coins, then player 2 bids 4 coins. player 1 decides he will not bid 5 coins, so player 2 wins the bid and gets aquaman's trident to put into his deck and the next card of the fifteen card drawn off the top of the deck gets revealed, then the bidding starts again.

-this is done for each of the 15 cards that were drawn face down from the main deck.
-if there are no bids on a card then that card remains revealed and then starts off in the lineup at the beginning of the game.
-Players start the game with the cards the purchased at auction in there deck

What's the point of this process?

Quote:
(4) villains.
-At the start of the game before anyone takes their first turn each player randomly receives a normal Super-Villain. Each player going in turn must resolve their super villain's first appearance attack on their own. Players leave there supervillians out in front of them until they buy them during their turn

-Players cannot buy the impossible mode villains until they defeat/but there personal supervillians

-do not reveal the the top/first impossible mode super villain until after the first player buy there own personal supervillain.

Okay, so this is an interesting timing sort of thing, but seems like it's going to draw the game out. I don't mind the idea of players having a card that only they can access though.

Quote:
-shuffle 6 unused supervillians into the main deck.

Okay.

Quote:
When a super villain enters the lineup There first appearance attack happens *and all weakness in the destroyed pile are put back into the weakness stack.

Why not just put destroyed Weakness straight back in the Weakness stack?

Quote:
(5) Lineup
-always add a card into the lineup regardless if there are already 5 or more cards. the Lineup must have a minimum of 5 cards in it.

-Example: if there are 5 cards in the lineup during your turn and you buy a kick instead of a card in the lineup then after your turn you still add a card from the main deck.

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
Choosing/receiving random cards
-players can either randomly get dealt hero from the second tier or lay all second tier heroes face down and going in turn each player picks one of the face down second tier heroes. Either way it's all random some people just prefer one method over another even though it doesn't matter.

Giving heroes away
-players give their second and third tier heros away. This balances the game. For instance say i was randomly dealt Green Arrow(:you may discard a punch card, if you do all villains cost 2 less) and i see one of my foes has chosen wonderwoman as there 1st tier hero, common sense tells me i shouldn't give green arrow to that player because that helps them having two heros that both complement each others.
Basically you're trying to be strategic and screw over the other players as best you can.

Point of the auction process[/b]
- This game mode is very challenging, the auction process allows players to start the game with good cards. In essence you're starting the game with your “guns loaded” and overall its alot of fun every one i've played with in this game mode has told me its their favorite part of the game.
Last time i played a friend of mine got Super Strength in the auction and immediately had to destroy it at the beginning of the game due to the first appearance attack of his personal supervillain. lol it was hilarious.

Supervillain/time length
-typically this game last around an hour (if you're playing with people who are experts in dcdb) it is a little longer but with players starting off with good cards at the start of the game(thanks to the auction process) it helps balance that out.

Weakness being put back into the weakness stack
-we’ve played games before where we do put weakness back into the weakness stack but this gives players who hold a majority of attack cards a huge advantage. So having weakness only go back into the weakness stack when a super villain enters the lineup helps stagnate that advantage and still makes it worth buying cards that will allow you to destroy cards.

The growing lineup
-the lineup continues to grow because…
it gives players more options per turn as to what to buy.
in this variation the main deck is much bigger than normal
its just a lot of fun.
*note: it helps to have a big table to play on for this game variation.

Personal note:
Overall i've played and made a lot of different variations to the game of dc deck building this game variation has definitely been the most fun and to surprise the mechanics all work smoothly.
I will say this variation adds a lot of new mechanics and process that i have been used to, i can see how taking it all in at once probably seems like a bit much. So feel free to perhaps try out a couple new mechanics or variations i introduced in a normal game and see how you like it.

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciated it! I hope this helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soulthief6 wrote:
Choosing/receiving random cards
-players can either randomly get dealt hero from the second tier or lay all second tier heroes face down and going in turn each player picks one of the face down second tier heroes. Either way it's all random some people just prefer one method over another even though it doesn't matter.

Oh, ok.

Quote:
Giving heroes away
-players give their second and third tier heros away. This balances the game. For instance say i was randomly dealt Green Arrow(:you may discard a punch card, if you do all villains cost 2 less) and i see one of my foes has chosen wonderwoman as there 1st tier hero, common sense tells me i shouldn't give green arrow to that player because that helps them having two heros that both complement each others.
Basically you're trying to be strategic and screw over the other players as best you can.

Aha! Yes, that makes sense.

Quote:
Point of the auction process[/b]
- This game mode is very challenging, the auction process allows players to start the game with good cards. In essence you're starting the game with your “guns loaded” and overall its alot of fun every one i've played with in this game mode has told me its their favorite part of the game.

Okay. That seems like something that would maybe be better handled by just starting play as normal but not doing the Supervillain reveal until a way into the game.
Still, it's interesting, I guess.

Quote:
Last time i played a friend of mine got Super Strength in the auction and immediately had to destroy it at the beginning of the game due to the first appearance attack of his personal supervillain. lol it was hilarious.

That just sounds frustrating.

Quote:
Weakness being put back into the weakness stack
-we’ve played games before where we do put weakness back into the weakness stack but this gives players who hold a majority of attack cards a huge advantage. So having weakness only go back into the weakness stack when a super villain enters the lineup helps stagnate that advantage and still makes it worth buying cards that will allow you to destroy cards.

It's almost always worth buying cards that let you destroy cards.

Quote:
The growing lineup
-the lineup continues to grow because…
it gives players more options per turn as to what to buy.
in this variation the main deck is much bigger than normal
its just a lot of fun.
*note: it helps to have a big table to play on for this game variation.

Okay.

Quote:
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciated it! I hope this helped.

Yes, it certainly helped clear some stuff up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Jones
msg tools
Well feel free to tweak it however you like. Personally i desighned the Game to be extremly chaotic and tuff, but i also made sure there was enough structure in order to keep it balanced. Everyone gets screwed, the only question is who is going to get screwed more. Maybe its just becuase me and my friends are evil but we love to see players get screwed and to screw other players.
After all I named it the Nightmare Game for a reason. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.