Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Swarthout
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the rules (tin version) is a 2-player variant which uses a dummy third hand. No where does it say the original rules are only for 3+ players. So my question is, "Can you play the original rules with two players, or is the variant the only realistic/fun way to play the game?"

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSwarthout wrote:
At the end of the rules (tin version) is a 2-player variant which uses a dummy third hand. No where does it say the original rules are only for 3+ players. So my question is, "Can you play the original rules with two players, or is the variant the only realistic/fun way to play the game?"

Greg
You can perfectly play the game with the original rules 2 player, and have fun.
It might feel a bit more dry, though, as you will know for sure what's in your opponent's hands much more easily. Depends on how analysis prone the players are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: yes.

Two player regular rules works just fine & is good times. Once you've played it a couple times that way, though, give the variant a try. We found it to be an interesting strategic step up.

Plus, unlike the non-variant/ regular game, the dummy game introduces a new card each round which adds some interesting luck into an otherwise static system.

Cheers,

-Jordan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially played the original rules with 2 and then saw the variant. I much prefer the variant for 2, however I don't think the game plays great for, 2 in either case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had always disregarded 2-player games of Sushi-Go, as I thought drafting could not be very interesting with just two people, but I have now played 3 times with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it.

We used these variant rules.

The game feels a little different than with 3-5 players. Each round has fewer cards than with more players, so the chance to complete Sashimi is smaller. And we even had a round or two where Wasabi was useless as there were not enough Nigiris to go round.
I think both of these effects are cool, as I feel Sashimi and Wasabi are the strongest cards in a multi-player game, but in 2-player games they are taken down a notch because of the risk of not completing them.

On the other hand, we felt Maki rolls were a bit boring, as there are so many of them, and spending 3 or 4 cards/turns fighting for a majority worth 3 points (6 vs. 3) was not worth it. We might just remove a handful of Maki cards from the deck before our next 2-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:

Thanks for the nod. We knew we wanted to do 2 player, but we didn't find either of the rules packaged in with the game to be that engaging. When we created this, we knew that we'd be playing a LOT of 2 player games in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Celtic Joker wrote:
I had always disregarded 2-player games of Sushi-Go, as I thought drafting could not be very interesting with just two people, but I have now played 3 times with my wife, and we both really enjoyed it.

We used these variant rules.

The game feels a little different than with 3-5 players. Each round has fewer cards than with more players, so the chance to complete Sashimi is smaller. And we even had a round or two where Wasabi was useless as there were not enough Nigiris to go round.
I think both of these effects are cool, as I feel Sashimi and Wasabi are the strongest cards in a multi-player game, but in 2-player games they are taken down a notch because of the risk of not completing them.

On the other hand, we felt Maki rolls were a bit boring, as there are so many of them, and spending 3 or 4 cards/turns fighting for a majority worth 3 points (6 vs. 3) was not worth it. We might just remove a handful of Maki cards from the deck before our next 2-player game.

I need to try these rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zakimos Kleidos
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We actually prefer this as a 2p game, with vanilla rules.

It gives you more control over what is going on in the game, making it much more cutthroat .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.