Subject: Raw & Modified tonnage question? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Mk2
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
I have seen references to Raw & modified tonnage results in the campaigns online ...tried looking around but could not find an explanation for what the differences are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not seen a specific discussion of raw and modified tonnage in the instruction book. However, there is a mention of standardized tonnage of ships to reduce the dice rolls necessary to determine specific ship tonnage. Maybe this is what the online stuff means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya,

I'm a little confused too, although I did run a tournament once where I gave "bonuses" for shooting down aircraft (in tonnage) and for bringing the boat back. So maybe that's it.

Other than that, I'm mystified myself as to what that would mean.

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean Westburg uses that term in four posts. Here's probably the crucial one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14459281#14459281
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is what he says about it. He seems to use it as a way to take into account damage to Uboats in a competitive campaign. I think it is overly complicated, since staying in refit longer automatically means you have fewer months at sea to sink more ships.
-------------
"3.5 Tonnage and Modified Tonnage

For every month of refit past 2 months that a ship has to wait, a 2% penalty to the tonnage of the previous patrol will be applied. For example, if 6 months should pass, then an 8% penalty to tonnage will apply. This is to compensate for bringing in such a heavily damaged ship.

If a ship's refit is would only take 1 month (ie: no damage and no injuries), then a 5% tonnage bonus will be applied to the previous patrol. This is to compensate for the extra time a careful/lucky skipper would receive on the sea.

For every month of refit required past the next patrol date, a 2% penalty to the tonnage of the *next* patrol will be applied. For example, if a boat patrolled in March and would normally deploy in June, but due to damage is scheduled for a 6 month refit and wouldn't leave port until September, that is 4 extra months, reflecting an 8% tonnage penalty to the June patrol totals. This represents the extra time spent in port during refit.

If a ship suffers no damage and is ready for sea a month ahead of time, a 5% tonnage bonus for the *next* patrol. This represents the extra time you can spend at sea.

This total after modifiers is considered your Modified Tonnage and is tracked separately from your actual tonnage.

If there is zero modifiers involved, your tonnage will be your Modified Tonnage.

While actual tonnage is listed, Modified Tonnage will apply towards the War Effort and the Aces of the Deep board."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mk2
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
Mystery solved :) thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.