Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I recently played Yedo for the first time, and it had a feature that I don't believe I've encountered before: locations that are available only to a specific player. Are there any other worker placement games out there with a similar feature?

More specifically, in Yedo all players start out with access to the same WP locations on the main board. During the game, however, each player has the option of building 4 different types of annexes which are then added to his or her own player board. Those annexes -- besides being useful for other purposes -- also function as new locations to place workers (and which each provide different benefits), but these spots are only available to the player who built them.

Thus, player 1 might have be able to place his workers only at locations on the main board, while player 2 might have access to the same locations on the main board AND 3 annexes that he's built. I thought this was kind of neat and led to some interesting decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Railroads does something similar, allowing players to hire engineers which provide them with action spaces that only they can use.

It is, indeed, a cool mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
Russian Railroads does something similar, allowing players to hire engineers which provide them with action spaces that only they can use.

It is, indeed, a cool mechanic

Thanks for the insight! Very cool. I've been waffling on Russian Railroads for a long time. This info might be enough to push me to finally acquire it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some that I know of:

The Manhattan Project
Viticulture with the Structures module from Tuscany expansion

Want to say there's a couple more I've played with this but the names escape me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cohn
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Keyflower lets players buy locations. Once you own it, it's costly for others to use it. (Le Havre does the same, but the cost of using someone else's location is fairly minimal.) I'm sure there are other examples I'm not thinking of.

And, Russian Railroads is pretty great. Yeah, get that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielcohn wrote:
Keyflower lets players buy locations. Once you own it, it's costly for others to use it. (Le Havre does the same, but the cost of using someone else's location is fairly minimal.) I'm sure there are other examples I'm not thinking of.

And, Russian Railroads is pretty great. Yeah, get that.

Yep, I both own (and enjoy!) Keyflower and Le Havre. You're right -- those are in a similar vein -- but not exactly what I'm looking for, which is exclusive access to a location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Caylus, where someone has to give you VPs to use your buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Davies
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Y Ddraig Goch Ddyry Gychwyn.
badge
Let the count down to UKGE begin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenland has 2 different sets of locations that are designed for the different tribes. The only way to use the other locations is by keeping one of your workers as a specific Elder Tribesman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homesteaders and Orléans both fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAAAN wrote:
Homesteaders and Orléans both fit the bill.

Oddly enough, I own Homesteaders and played it, but didn't realize this was the case. (Granted, I last played it a couple of years ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how Homesteaders slipped you by, it is a little different as the worker placement is almost a sideshow, and some of the buildings don't even require workers.

In Orleans, there isn't a central board for placing workers. Everything happens in your own tableau, but there are special buildings you acquire that give you powers nobody else can access and there are several that are very powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort has a heavy dose of this. You get cards and most of them provide you with private WP locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spyrium has this, you get your own buildings to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ora et Labora is a worker placement game where you only have player-specific placement locations -- though how effective some of them are is controlled by a shared resource-availability mechanism. And, you can pay another player to use one of their workers on their spaces on your behalf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.