Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Currently painting through space hulk 4ed and really enjoying the quality of the minis to paint.

I know I could easily pick up some more 40k or different GW stuff but with a board game with minis the minis have an end goal when I'm finished and as I have never played warhammer I don't have much time to start.

So far I have painted mice and mystics, wrath of ashardalon and halfway through space hulk. All board games I also enjoy playing with my wife and mice and mystics includes our 7 year old daughter.

I'm after another good quality board game that comes with good minis to paint up, any ideas?

As you can see we like thematic games and the other games we play a lot are pandemic and pathfinder adventure card game so co-op is preferred but 1v1 is OK as my wife really enjoys space hulk.

So far my main temptations are another D&D board game (not sure on this as out of all the games this is the one we pick up least), descent 2nd or super dungeon explore (both of these would be played 1v1) but gears of war is also tempting but doesn't seem to come with that many minis and I never played the videogames past the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Super Dungeon Explore... the Forgotten King set specifically. There's a coop and a dungeon master mode, and it's got potential for tons of figures. It's over 200 with all the expansions...

Though it's not very episodic. They're one-off games.

Descent 2e has hours and hours of play, with a leveling system for both sides. I've heard it's a little lame for the GM with just the core set, but adding the Lair of the Wyrm or even Lieutenant packs increases the enjoyment and challenge greatly.

Gears of War is fun, but purely coop.

Arcadia Quest is multiplayer and has a campaign system, but as typical with CMON games, it's pretty simple overall.

Earth Reborn is a decent 1v1 system.

Galaxy Defenders has tons of figures, though they're basically mid 90s sculpts... disproportionate, you know. But the game is incredible and flexible. Unfortunately there are tons of KS exclusives.

If you want more Space Hulk, I'm thinking of selling my 1e game with both expansions and the Campaigns book... it's functionally limitless replayability due to the build your own force system, but you'd be buying lots of Warhammer 40k figures to support it. That's way more money than board games would cost, all expansions inclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
12 Realms
BattleLore (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a really thematic coop game with miniatures, I would recommend Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients.

If you are a Conan fan, you should check out the Conan Kickstarter. The campaign is over but you can still get in when the Pledge Manager goes live this weekend since it's open to everyone. It's got a ton of cool miniatures. Here's the link to the page here on BGG: Conan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realise how many options there was.

Really like the idea of super dungeon explore as I could play GM with my wife and daughter. battlelore is tempting due to the sheer quantity of figures and the fact its wargame is somthing diffefent to what we normally play but looking online the quality seems to be a bit lower then space hulk/sde or shadows of brimstone that is also tempting.

Minis in Arcadia quest also look great and may be more family friendly.

I think descent will always been tempting as its the goto suggestion for campaign dungeon crawlers too it seems.

More suggestions are welcome thanks for those so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Imperial Assault
Descent
Shadows of Brimstone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had just replied to this, and was wondering what happened to my post, but it was the other thread: Next good quality mini game to paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Pasi, I did read your reply but realised I was in the wrong forum when I couldn't find my own thread so I copied it across.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Barrick
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe take a look at Fortune and Glory. It's a pulp adventure game by Flying Frog Games. A good number of minis in the box plus there are a few expansions. I also really like their Touch of Evil game which is more gothic horror. Some reall fun stories have come up when playing that.

I have Talisman on my to get eventually list if my daughter gets really interested in games when she gets older (or interested enough that I can rationalize buying more games). I've never played it. People seem to either like it or not because it's a roll and move (maybe I'm over simplifying...?) but with the expansions there are lots of minis.

My friend has Descent and Super Dungeon Explorer, and so I can vouch for the super cool minis.

Mice and Mystics is eventually getting a kind of expansion called Tail Feathers. The previews for that look amazing. Not sure when it will go up for pre-order.

I'm always on the look out for minis to replace the card board stand ups that come with Tales of Arabian Nights....another very thematic, story game.

I've also painted (and have outsourced to friends to paint) my Dust Tactics miniatures. We always have fun with that one. Over the last year it has shown up on a lot of sales so I've picked up a bunch of stuff. It looks pretty cool on the table when everything is painted up. Not too complicated and my group has fun with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games which have lots of good minis to paint up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Maddalena
United States
Fort Meade
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
No mention of the Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games which have lots of good minis to paint up.

He already painted Wrath of Ashardalon, so he's already caught wind of that series. Is one of those "better" than the others, though? I think i heard mention Ashardalon was the least entertaining of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eypyeash wrote:
robbdaman wrote:

He already painted Wrath of Ashardalon, so he's already caught wind of that series. Is one of those "better" than the others, though? I think i heard mention Ashardalon was the least entertaining of them.

Probably the newest one Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game though Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game is excellent as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like another D&D adventure game but while I still have unfinished missions on WoA its hard to justify another... I will pick up another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.