Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest of my solo plays through the classic PanzerBlitz scenarios. I confess I am beginning to suffer a bit of burnout, as I don't really know how well I am playing when my only opponent is myself. I guess I'll get to find out at the WBC.

Situation #7 has a slightly forced setup and somewhat ambiguous rules. The Germans are forced to enter the map from the west in a single convoy, no stacking and all infantry and artillery loaded in transports.

The Russians do likewise, coming from the east.

Each side "moves 12 hexes per turn" until the lead units come within 3 hexes of one another. After that they can move their full movement allowance. In practice, this means that the two of them will come into contact during the Russians' second movement phase. At this point, do the Russians get a full move, or only those units that haven't moved 12 hexes yet, or...?

I played it as letting the Russians have any remaining movement allowance after however many MPs each unit had used already. This still effectively allowed the Russians to scatter off the road and dig in before the Germans, providing them with a decisive advantage.

The battle that followed was fairly even, with most of the fighting occurring along ridge lines, or with Russian tanks sent to flush out German units hiding in the woods to shoot at hilltop targets spotted by German infantry. I thought I might have the Germans mass for a "blitz" against the Russian forces on the main hilltop, but instead a strategy of trying to outmaneuver and ambush them worked better. The German stacking advantage (being able to stack 3 units per hex instead of the Russians' 2) is significant when it comes to encircling tactics, and the Russians will lose a straight-up slugfest if the Germans are willing to sacrifice a unit or two to get there.

However, as is so often the case, the situation's victory conditions seem to favor the Russians and their greater numbers. Victory in this scenario is based on who has more units on board 2 (the center board) at the end of turn 10, and the Russians won a solid Tactical victory here, with 35 units to the Germans' 17.

It bears mention that I had both sides lead with their trucks and halftracks, with the armor bringing up the rear, my thought being that both sides would want to position artillery and infantry as quickly as possible, and the tanks didn't necessarily to be at the head of their respective columns if they could shoot and/or move from a little further back once the enemy was spotted. I don't know how differently this scenario would have played out if I'd had one or both sides lead with their tanks.

The later scenarios seem to trend more towards tank-on-tank action, with the infantry and artillery playing only a supporting role. Pretty much the dream of a Panzer commander!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Weaver
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might find this analysis of Situation 7 interesting:
http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/ISPB%20No.%...

Proposed revisions are here:
http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/IMSTRAT%20P...

Regarding how to proceed after the forces meet, see p. 15 here:
http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/PDFs/PBQA.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.