Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If a stack of units is any combination of OOS, out of fuel or dispersed then the attacker ignores one hit because each of these states individually has that as an effect. But, for example, only if all the units were OOS would the attacker draw an extra combat chit or, only if all the units were dispersed would the defender be prohibited to playing combat tactics.

2. The two shaded areas on page 35: This is highlighted as such to mean that if all units in a defending stack are OOS, then XYZ. And if all units in a defending stack are isolated, then ABC, right? In other words, literally, top of p 26...+1 chit if [all the] defenders [are] out of supply?
EDIT: Actually, am I correct when I imagine a stack of defenders where one is OOS and one is Isolated, NEITHER shaded text would apply? That doesn't seem right.
EDIT 2: Ruminating further: perhaps an Isolated unit is considered Out of Supply (and in Low Supply as well), being as almost all the effects are cumulative. Thus a stack of Isolated and Out of Supply units would be affected by the Out of Supply shaded text (they are all "at least" Out of Supply) and thus +1 combat chit to attacker and attacker ignores 1 hit.

3. Also, is the reason why an isolated unit cannot be Out of Fuel because being so marked with an Out of Fuel marker does very little mechanically?

Isolated effects, among others:

Cannot attack (from OOS)
Mechanized cannot move or retreat
Cannot advance after combat (implied from Cannot Attack)
If in stack with only isolated units attacker does not suffer hits

Out of Fuel effects:

Cannot move, retreat, advance after combat
Cannot attack
If in stack with only Out of Fuel units (or any combination of out of fuel, dispersed and OOS units) attacker ignores one hit

It's very close.

The Out of Fuel marker gets discarded at end of turn and the card that triggered the Out of Fuel gets discarded whether the unit is Isolated or not. So why can't Isolated units be out of fuel? Is it a consim thing where non-moving units wouldn't suddenly run out of gas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
If a stack contains a combination of OOS and Isolated units, the effects of OOS would apply to enemy attackers.

An isolated mechanized unit is considered to have consumed all its fuel among the loss of all its other supplies. Being isolated is a worse state that being out of fuel. In addition to the effects you state, the unit exerts no ZOC and does not affect the placement of enemy reserve units. Placing an out of fuel marker on an isolated unit would be redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Only mechanized units can be out of fuel because this is a result of division cards and only occurs on mechanized divisions. Therefore there would be no additional effect if an isolated unit became out of fuel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers, both.

In regards to my second point, I think understanding that being isolated includes also "the state of being" OOS is what made it click. I would suggest that be a clarification. Everything is so clear and redundant throughout the rulebook that by comparison, the fact that Isolated units are also considered OOS in this case is a bit opaque to me.

In regards to my third point, the way I understand it: the only effect that is different from being Isolated is that when marked with the Out of Fuel state the attacker draws one chit and ignores 1 hit. But if you are Isolated, you are already suffering attacker drawing 2 chits and ignoring all hits (and in both cases the stack would have to be exclusively all out of fuel units or isolated units). If effects were cumulative in this case, it would matter (I guess attacker would draw 3 chits?). But there's really nothing to debate as you can't Out of Fuel an Isolated unit.

Just to make sure I have this.

Clarifying Hit total adjustments, second and third bullet, p 28

If all defending units are any combination of dispersed, out of supply, out of fuel, or isolated, the total number of attacker hits is reduced by one.

EXCEPTION: If all defending units are isolated, all attacker hits are ignored.

And

Top of p. 26

+1 chit if all defending units are a combination of out of supply or isolated
EXCEPTION: +2 chits if all defending units are isolated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, can you confirm my above analysis? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Chris, your interpretation is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.