Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

La Granja» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that 75% recommend this as a solo game, but for those of you that have played it would you recommend picking it up even if you have a lot of Euro games(ie. Glass Roads, Loyang, Fields of Arle, Ora et Labora, etc)?
The multiple use cards interest me because I do not have anything like that, but I guess I am worried how the over all play stacks up against other well known Euro games that have solo variants.

Thanks in advance!
8 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am in the 25%. Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring. It was mainly a system to limit your selected actions and I didn't find manipulating that particularly rewarding. The 'transportation phase' consists of randomly determining what space the dummy player will take over, as long as you fit it to three different rules.

As a multiplayer though, I do recommend it, it has lots of interesting bits and combos to explore and has lots of scope for play as part of the challenge is pulling these plays off in spite of other players.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
I guess I am in the 25%. Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring. It was mainly a system to limit your selected actions and I didn't find manipulating that particularly rewarding. The 'transportation phase' consists of randomly determining what space the dummy player will take over, as long as you fit it to three different rules.

As a multiplayer though, I do recommend it, it has lots of interesting bits and combos to explore and has lots of scope for play as part of the challenge is pulling these plays off in spite of other players.


Thanks Ben for information on solo rules. My big problem is that my gaming group are not big fans of Euro games, so most of my plays are solo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ode.
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring.


So, you did not play it? Don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your opinion and there are always people disliking some things. It's just a fact. But since you seem to never having played it, I would not count your opinion...

And you did voted for "not recommended" without even playing it?

I don't get it...

@SoundCity: The solo game mostly is good to learn the rules. But it works and it is fun to play it solo. But since I played the game quite often I would not play it solitaire any longer. If you really want to play this game because of certain aspects you like in the game, it could be fun. 75% recommended it.

But if you want a real good solitaire game, a strong solo variant, that takes you through 20-25 solo plays, you might consider other games...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cees Fisser
Netherlands
Leidschendam
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like Glass Roads as asolo game very much. But I enjoy Granja solo play also. It's the use of the cards and trying to get combi's, it's different enough imho. You also learn the cards and the tricks for multiplayer games. I like it vm.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
benosteen wrote:
Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring.


So, you did not play it? Don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your opinion and there are always people disliking some things. It's just a fact. But since you seem to never having played it, I would not count your opinion...

And you did voted for "not recommended" without even playing it?

I don't get it...

@SoundCity: The solo game mostly is good to learn the rules. But it works and it is fun to play it solo. But since I played the game quite often I would not play it solitaire any longer. If you really want to play this game because of certain aspects you like in the game, it could be fun. 75% recommended it.

But if you want a real good solitaire game, a strong solo variant, that takes you through 20-25 solo plays, you might consider other games...


Thank you for the information.

Kezemans wrote:
I like Glass Roads as asolo game very much. But I enjoy Granja solo play also. It's the use of the cards and trying to get combi's, it's different enough imho. You also learn the cards and the tricks for multiplayer games. I like it vm.


The multiple card use and all the potential combos are what has me looking at this game.

I guess I really need to see if this is something that I could get to the table with my group every once in a while before I drop the money on it.

Thanks again for all the help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bayerbube wrote:
benosteen wrote:
Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring.


So, you did not play it? Don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your opinion and there are always people disliking some things. It's just a fact. But since you seem to never having played it, I would not count your opinion...

And you did voted for "not recommended" without even playing it?


I did play it solitaire but I did not vote in the poll. I found the solitaire rules to be fairly basic and missing in meat. In practice, It was a way to play with card combinations. The dice choosing mechanism is a dry way to simulate a reduction of choices. It wasn't an interesting puzzle to me, and didn't give me choices I worried over.

The following phase was a literal cardflip to see what the dummy was going to do to you. You couldn't mitigate or plan for it aside from a worker like the one that allows you to relocate an ousted market token or the one that gives you a silver (Peddler?). I didn't find that part of the game rewarding at all.

There was no cohesion between phases - what choices you made in the first had no effect on what it did in the second. For example, by linking the action dice that the dummy claimed in the previous phase to which market spots it would place in in the second makes for a nice conflict of desires. "I really want that no. 2, but if I take that, the dummy will take the 3 and that will mean that it could take that 3 market space next phase, bumping me out of two spots. Can I gain more by taking the 2, rather than take a different die so that it goes into a market spot I want?"

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benosteen wrote:
bayerbube wrote:
benosteen wrote:
Read through the solitaire rules but found them a bit uninspiring.


So, you did not play it? Don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your opinion and there are always people disliking some things. It's just a fact. But since you seem to never having played it, I would not count your opinion...

And you did voted for "not recommended" without even playing it?

or the one that gives you a silver (Peddler?). I didn't find that part
I did play it solitaire but I did not vote in the poll. I found the solitaire rules to be fairly basic and missing in meat. In practice, It was a way to play with card combinations. The dice choosing mechanism is a dry way to simulate a reduction of choices. It wasn't an interesting puzzle to me, and didn't give me choices I worried over.

The following phase was a literal cardflip to see what the dummy was going to do to you. You couldn't mitigate or plan for it aside from a worker like the one that allows you to relocate an ousted market token of the game rewarding at all.

There was no cohesion between phases - what choices you made in the first had no effect on what it did in the second. For example, by linking the action dice that the dummy claimed in the previous phase to which market spots it would place in in the second makes for a nice conflict of desires. "I really want that no. 2, but if I take that, the dummy will take the 3 and that will mean that it could take that 3 market space next phase, bumping me out of two spots. Can I gain more by taking the 2, rather than take a different die so that it goes into a market spot I want?"



Well that is disappointing to hear.

Thanks again everyone for all the input on the solo game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Another Solo Variant Vs AI (US and French version) with feedback from the designer Andreas "ode." Odendahl (unofficial).
You play against an AI opponent, and it is more challenging and fun IMO than the beat-your-high-score types. The AI plays as another player in all game phases, with some tweaked rules. The only caveat is that it is much more involved on the rules side (as most solo variants in which you play against an AI). The rules changes look daunting at first glance, but they're quite intuitive in practice.

Go and check them out if solo is the main way you might play the game, like me. It is something you might be interested in.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.