Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off let me say that I own both, I have played both, and I like both games (a lot).

Several folks have posted that they really are different games, I agree with this statement (though others of course may not).

D2e:
What I like -
a. faster set-up
b. faster play
c. built-n Campaign and Hero-leveling system
d. the objectives far outweigh defeating the Heroes in game play *(more below)
e. Overlord XP points
f. very new player "friendly" since it is simpler and faster

What I don't like -
a. little consequence for Heroes being Knocked Out (they just get back up, and they don't die)
b. very limited spawn ability for the Overlord
c. the objectives far outweigh defeating the Heroes in game play *(I have a "Love-Hate" relationship with this)

D1e:
What I like -
a. immersive play
b. the "game clock" as established by the cycling of cards by the Overlord player
c. the Conquest token system for "Win-Loss"

What I don't like -
a. hero leveling is negligible
b. long, long playing time and set-up time
c. not as new player "friendly" as D2e since it is long and somewhat more complex

What do you all think? I'm just interested in any general or specific commentary from folks who have played both.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have learned the D1E, however I didn't buy it. I did like it A LOT, though. However, the disadvantages outweighed my liking .
You named already a few: long playing time, the 'overlord curse', complexity.

For D2E, I was more enthousiastic and after 1 play, I decided to buy it. Shorter gameplay, less complex (so I could find new players) were all solved.

What I don't like in the new system is how they put it in the market. When you want to buy the complete game, it becomes really expensive!!

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Freund
msg tools
I agree with your breakdown. Here's mine:

Descent 2 - I absolutely hate the lack of penalty for death. I hate it so much that I will only play the game by using my own house rule that involves each hero having 3 revive potions. I can discuss it more if you care to hear about it. Another thing I dislike is the monster respawn rules. I much prefer Descent 1, in which you have to have a card and the appropriate amount of threat to bring in new monsters. Adds a lot more strategy for the Overlord, and the heroes understand that if they kill the monsters, it will cost the Overlord precious threat to bring them back. In Descent 2, they may as well avoid monsters as the Overlord is allowed to bring them back for free.

Other than those issues, I love most other things about the game. I'm really hoping FFG releases a Descent 2.5 ruleset at some point to make it more like Imperial Assault.

Descent 1 - Again, two main flaws with the game. 1 - No campaign (with the base game). I'm just not a fan of going to all the trouble of setting up a game like that for it to be a one-off experience. 2 - I can't stand how fast and dramatically heroes increase their power. If a group of 4 heroes stumble upon a chest that rewards 2 cards each, they are instantly more powerful. I much prefer a gradual increase in power, again more like Imperial Assault.

All that said, I'm a Descent freak. I LOVE the miniatures, the art style, really everything about it. I just think there are a few glitches in the gameplay that could have been thought out in a more clever way.

I have my eye on Road to Legend at some point when I have the time. Sounds like the epic nerdy experience I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ultra Magnus
United States
Granville
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm just a soldier. I can't be a leader.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also own both, and played the D1E base game extensively before D2E was released. I agree with your assessments, and this is why I developed my Legendary Play Variant Rules, for when I want a more D1E style experience, while still utilizing the D2E rules and materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
What I don't like -
a. little consequence for Heroes being Knocked Out (they just get back up, and they don't die)
Just picking up this one as it's relevant to a recent D2E game we had.

The heroes thought that death didn't stop them, just delayed them, and consequently played rather aggressive. This did not work out well.

We were playing 'What's Yours is Mine' and I had collected 4 threat from dropping each of them once, had my entire Overlord deck in my hand, and had got them to the point where their entire party was on the floor with two Master monsters with Flame Breath (They clumped together. D'oh) next to them so they basically insta-dropped as soon as they got back up.

They played aggressively, often using two actions for attacks, only to fluff their attacks, leave a monster on 1HP, fail to roll a Surge against a Shadow Dragon, and so forth. They barely moved forward and progressed the quest.

While death doesn't stop the heroes, death allows the Overlord to draw Threat/Cards which can rapidly lead to the Overlord becoming unstoppable. The heroes absolutely need to minimise death or the Overlord Deck becomes utterly brutal and the Overlord can freely spend Threat on the powerful Threat-deck abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
percepter wrote:
I also own both, and played the D1E base game extensively before D2E was released. I agree with your assessments, and this is why I developed my Legendary Play Variant Rules, for when I want a more D1E style experience, while still utilizing the D2E rules and materials.

Very cool, will take me awhile to wrap my head around it. We have been playing D3e (unofficial player variant) now for a few trial runs, we like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheJayTee wrote:
SFRR wrote:
What I don't like -
Just picking up this one as it's relevant to a recent D2E game we had.

The heroes thought that death didn't stop them, just delayed them, and consequently played rather aggressive. This did not work out well.

We were playing 'What's Yours is Mine' and I had collected 4 threat from dropping each of them once, had my entire Overlord deck in my hand, and had got them to the point where their entire party was on the floor with two Master monsters with Flame Breath (They clumped together. D'oh) next to them so they basically insta-dropped as soon as they got back up.

They played aggressively, often using two actions for attacks, only to fluff their attacks, leave a monster on 1HP, fail to roll a Surge against a Shadow Dragon, and so forth. They barely moved forward and progressed the quest.

While death doesn't stop the heroes, death allows the Overlord to draw Threat/Cards which can rapidly lead to the Overlord becoming unstoppable. The heroes absolutely need to minimise death or the Overlord Deck becomes utterly brutal and the Overlord can freely spend Threat on the powerful Threat-deck abilities.

Excellent insights from an obviously experienced O/L player. I guess for me it's just a "thematic-thing"...I just prefer "death" to repeated "knock outs"...but I am not arguing against your point in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.