Subject: Emperor: Great Wealth Ilya Designed Ruleset rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, so I'm new to Dune in boardgame form. I went with the Ilya version and am not super interested in world tournament interpretations or anything but what is presented in that particular version of the ruleset. The myriad of rules available is confusing enough as it is! So, based on the Ilya designed ruleset/almanac (Dune_Almanac_2014_v_3.0) what the heck does this paragraph mean?

Great Wealth
You may transfer Spice to or from your allies at any time in the turn and do not have to wait for the Collections Round to do so. This does not allow you to pay part of or all of costs of you allies directly, nor to reduce any costs in some way.

I understand the whole instant transferring of spice before the collection round. That's super. Got it. It's that last sentence which is the mind killer.

Is this saying that I, as the Emperor, can not transfer additional spice to an ally in order to boost a transaction in progress. But, I can transfer spice to an ally before they start paying any costs? And again afterwards if I see fit, so long as spice isn't going towards any immediate costs?

Or is it stating that if an ally has 3 spice to spend on movement, they have 3 spice to spend on movement, period. I could transfer 10,000 spice to them, but they'd still only get to spend 3 spice this turn because otherwise I'd be paying partially or fully for their movement directly.

Am I anywhere near a correct interpretation? This rule is definitely causing me pain by nerve induction. Pass the Gom Jabbar please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome to this great game.

It implies the Emperor has to give Spice to his ally, and the ally has to spend it. Whether the ally spends it for the reason why the Emperor gave the Spice is another matter.

I think the point is it gives room to some treachery and negociations among allies when the Emperor is involved.

As for reducing costs I think it's about treachery cards, since the Spice goes in the Emperor's pocket when other players buy these cards. So the Emperor has to give Spice to his ally for him to purchase treachery cards, he can't say something like "Go on, bid and don't give me the Spice, it's the same, no problem."
Especially if the Emperor has ran low on spice.

I hope this helped a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
It has certainly helped to awaken my slumbering ghola consciousness towards its true direction.

The Emperor can transfer spice to an ally but can in no way directly apply said spice towards any costs - those decisions (if any) remain in the hands of the receiving ally.

Basically, once transferred, it's out of the Emperor's hands.

So, I can transfer spice to an ally if they ask for it to, say, move some extra troops this turn to oppose an enemy. But once transferred, they just sorta pocket it for later use and not move, denying my original intent for the spice transfer.

Cool, I see that now.

The cost reduction line makes sense now as well. I understood the Lion Throne ability before I got all twisted up, and it holds the key to this "reduction" line. Foolishly I segmented it away in my brain.

So, I can transfer 5 spice to an ally to boost their current bid of 2 for a Treachery card that the Atreides reeeeealy wants for some reason. But I need to have that 5 spice to begin with, despite all costs coming back to my bank afterwards. And to top it all off my ally could then go ahead and pocket that 5 spice and let the bid go to the Atreides after all!

Sweet.

Am I now on the Golden Path in regards to this rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well from my understanding you have grasped the rule indeed, but maybe a more seasoned Dune player will have more to say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It means that you can't hand spice to pay for costs. You can give spice before or after but when it is time to pay up you cannot help.
During card bidding you cannot say that your ally has infinite spice since anything bid would go to you. Your ally can only bid what s/he has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Cairo
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent, I think I've now got it nailed down as well as illustrated a few examples for future folks out on this specific rules hajra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciated all of the Dune references. You're clearly getting into the spirit of the game. Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.