Subject: Using Evade checks to avoid Friendly Fire? Sounds good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group and I are enjoying the game immensely. We have but one 'issue' with the gameplay.

If we don't allow Friendly Fire, the game seems a bit cheesy with characters using blast weapons to casually explode aliens while other GD agents just stand a few meters next to them. It just doesn't seem right at all and it quite possibly makes the game way easier with less focus on positioning.

If we do allow Friendly Fire, some characters have their effectiveness dramatically reduced because they rely on Area Damage weapons to clear swarms of aliens. Sometimes it's possible to position all agents right to make an Area Damage effect hit only enemies but most of the time a few agents will get caught in the blast.

The addition of huge blast area weapons via the game's expansions exacerbates this effect.

So, I'd like your opinion on using a middle ground solution that allows using Friendly Fire but gives at least a chance to avoid the effect for friendlies:

Use Friendly Fire rule as normal but whenever an Agent is caught in a blast, he/she makes an Evade roll to check if he/she managed to avoid getting any damage from the blast's effect.
All skills and abilities that increase Evade effectiveness also apply to this check, thus making them more meaningful too. Infiltrator also gets a nice bonus for avoiding blast damage via her upgraded Evade skill.

Is this a viable solution to allow players to use Friendly Fire but not making them miserable every time their targeted area hits friendlies simply because there is no alternative? Note the expansion has huge blast area weapons, without a rule in place it may be almost impossible to avoid hitting your own agents with those weapons.

What do you think? Does this Evade check vs friendly area damage rule sound solid enough? Do you find it unbalances the game or breaks something else in the process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
My group and I are enjoying the game immensely. We have but one 'issue' with the gameplay.

If we don't allow Friendly Fire, the game seems a bit cheesy with characters using blast weapons to casually explode aliens while other GD agents just stand a few meters next to them. It just doesn't seem right at all and it quite possibly makes the game way easier with less focus on positioning.

If we do allow Friendly Fire, some characters have their effectiveness dramatically reduced because they rely on Area Damage weapons to clear swarms of aliens. Sometimes it's possible to position all agents right to make an Area Damage effect hit only enemies but most of the time a few agents will get caught in the blast.

The addition of huge blast area weapons via the game's expansions exacerbates this effect.

So, I'd like your opinion on using a middle ground solution that allows using Friendly Fire but at least giving a chance to avoid the effect for friendlies:

Use Friendly Fire rule as normal but whenever an Agent is caught in a blast, he/she makes an Evade roll to check if he/she managed to avoid getting any damage from the blasts effect.
All skills and abilities that increase Evade effectiveness also apply to this check, thus making them more meaningful too. Infiltrator also get a nice bonus for avoiding blast damage via her upgraded Evade skills.

Is this a viable solution to allow players to use Friendly Fire but not making them miserable every time their targeted area hits friendlies simply because there is no alternative. Remember, the expansion has huge blast area weapons, without a rule in place it may be almost impossible to avoid hitting your own agents with those weapons.

What do you think? Does this Evade check vs friendly area damage rule sound solid enough? Do you find it unbalances the game or breaks something else in the process?

I always use the friendly fire rule for Blast Effect weapons. I am just careful to be in position to not get caught in the blast unless I can easily absorb it. Then again I have had a lot of tactical wargame experience and generally do not throw explosives around when they hit friendlies bets to stay behind ot on the flanks of such weapons.

Interesting idea and seems in theme as the fellow agents would get a comms heads up. It should penalize there abilities on their next action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't really have a REAL problem with the core game explosive weapons, it just needed a bit more effort to use them effectively without killing your own team in the process. But the expansion introduces even more powerful explosive weapons and I fear that no amount of positioning is going to help this time....

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newby
England
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this variant!

In fact, I am going to pinch it for my game on Sunday. I think it's thematic, believable and just plain great.

If a soldier calls in an airstrike to an area they happen to be in, I'm pretty sure they take measures to mitigate the chance of them being hit by friendly fire, and not just hope for the best...

I mean even at squad level, if a soldier throws a grenade into a room, his buddies usually take cover don't they? They don't just hope their Kevlar soaks up the blast...

It's not a great leap to apply this idea to a smaller tactical area and to the individual agents in this game.

Kudos Vasilis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khula wrote:
I really like this variant!

+1 great idea, using (the existing mechanism of) evade is thematic and simple (just one roll of the dice), it's easily memorized -- plain great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Temple
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding my applause.
No one ever evaded in my games, makes the skill useful now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Anderson
msg tools
I like your idea! However, I might suggest a slight tweak.

Obviously if another agent is standing right in the middle of the blast radius they should not (thematically) be able to just shrug it off.

What if you only allowed agents who are one hex away from being outside of the blast radius to make the evade roll? It would be like them jumping out of the way. Then if they succeeded you would move them one hex adjacent to their current location (outside of the blast radius).

I think this makes a good balance of theme and does not make it overpowered.

Hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danielbrrm wrote:
Then if they succeeded you would move them one hex adjacent to their current location (outside of the blast radius).
I think this makes a good balance of theme and does not make it overpowered.

But it could lead to Hulk class agents to perform 'rocket jumps' to increase movement. Dunno if that is a good idea there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.