Subject: Scoring: value or number? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trev Clarke
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised to find no-one has asked this yet.

On the back page of the rules, under the section "Scoring & Extra Tours" it says:
Quote:
... To score a column, add up the values of the cards in the column and multiply the total with the value of its Tramway Card.... (my emphasis)

Yet in the example to the right of that, three columns are totalled, giving:
Quote:
(1-2-5-6) x 3 = 12
(Con-2-3-4-7) x 2 = 10
(3-5-8-10) x 2 = 14

Ignoring the last of these, which must be in error, the others clearly show the number of cards being multiplied by the Tramway Card value.

So, which is it? I can see arguments on both sides. It has the feel of a change by the publisher to reduce the mental strain of having to calculate (2+3+5+7+8+9)x3 in a lighter game.

Thoughts? Opinions? Words from the horses mouth?

Thanks. Trev cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You add up the victory points on the cards and multiply the sum with the value of the tram. That is what's happening in the examples and this is the correct way.

But you are right, this is not really clear and it seems that this is indeed an error in the rules, it should say "victory points" instead of "value" on page 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trev Clarke
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh yes, that makes much more sense. Thanks, Michael.

I can see why no-one already asked this now blush

In my defence, I hadn't actually got the cards out yet and was working from just the rules. I'd kind of forgotten about those great big numbers on the cards. (Hmmm, my defence makes me look blind as well as stupid...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trev wrote:
Oh yes, that makes much more sense. Thanks, Michael.

I can see why no-one already asked this now blush

In my defence, I hadn't actually got the cards out yet and was working from just the rules. I'd kind of forgotten about those great big numbers on the cards. (Hmmm, my defence makes me look blind as well as stupid...)

Don't feel so bad. I came to BGG to look for an answer to this very same question. It's a rules error because the card diagram shows that the white number is a "value", but the scoring section assigns the label "value" to the victory point number without ever specifying that it is doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Grenier
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here for the same question. I think it is unclear in the rules but Now it's clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.