7 Posts

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Strategy

Subject: First RTL campaign question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyce Mynoduesp
United States
flag msg tools
My gaming group will be starting our first Descent RTL campaign. We will not be playing with any of the other expansions, as we have only ever played vanilla Descent, and don’t want to add too many new things in all at once. I will be playing the OL and have a couple of questions on strategy.

First, is it worth upgrading my Eldrich monsters, or just stick with Beast? I was thinking of playing the Sorcerer King, and starting with Sniper Skeletons. I like the idea of silver skeletons cleaning up in the dungeon. The downside is that the gold upgrade offers very little to them, and there are only 3 monster types. The beasts, however, have 6 monster types, and will strengthen the Farrow lieutenants and most encounters.
I thought about upgrading Eldrich to silver first, and then at the start of Silver upgrading my beats to Silver, and then Gold when possible, but that would pretty much be all of my XP for the first part of the game.

My second question is the worth of the Simple Treachery. Is 10 XP worth upgrading to have an additional card at the start of the dungeon? (As SK I think an additional card is better than 4 threat). I supposed if I upgraded 3 times then having 3 extra cards would be fairly powerful, but for the XP I could get some Lieutenants or a monster upgrade.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, that's my fish!
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with Vanilla-only, too. We added Feats from Tomb of Ice (http://www.descentinthedark.com/_f_/feats.php) as these made things a little more survivable for the Heroes and a fun surprise for the OVERLORD.

Upgrading Eldritch? Yeah. Lots of skeleton and sorcerer bosses out there. Throughout the campaign you'll want to keep upgrading at least 2 of the 3 groups.

If you play as the Sorcerer King Snipers are a great, painful starting upgrade. Upgrade Eldritch early (before anything else) and often. The upgrade that gives your sorcerers Blast is great, too.

Simplified Treachery seemed overpriced to me, so I've never bothered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the main point of treachery isn't for having the cards in the dungeon, they are for Lieutenant battles. Later on in the game it is important to have enough treachery to make it tough on the heroes when they try to defend a city. Without treachery, it makes it harder on the OL.

I have never played the Advanced Campaign (AC) with just the vanilla and RtL set, so I can't really comment, but if you have all the expansions, I would suggest playing with them. You get the most out of the campaign from it as it is most balanced around having them.

I think since it is your first campaign, having strategy and tactics are nice and all, but learning together as a group will be better in the end. If your heroes are playing RtL for the first time too, it won't be too hard for you as the OL has some inherent built in positives against a hero party that (1) isn't familiar with how planning for game weeks work (2) aren't familiar with the dungeons (3) just plain don't know what to do so there is a lot of experimenting going on.

To answer your question though, like Orange said, it is best to upgrade a monster first. If you have read through any of the strategies, it usually begins there first. Even if you are a more Beast or Humanoid centric Avatar, it is best to wait to get that extra 5CT to get to 30CT to upgrade to Eldritch first.

Snipers is the best upgrade for the Sorcerer King imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do really think the worst part of all are feats. Seems some like those but I don't. I do like that heroes have hidden information and thus play more for themselves. But the surprise effect should be exclusive to the OL imho.

If you want to give heroes a better chance and play without feats, maybe you want to pick some avatar that isn't "deemed to be" too strong. Probably the Titan or whatever. If you all are new to the game, there is no reason to play with the feats as it will be hard for all sides and imho even harder for you "overall".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
duhtch
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ionas wrote:
I do really think the worst part of all are feats. Seems some like those but I don't. I do like that heroes have hidden information and thus play more for themselves. But the surprise effect should be exclusive to the OL imho.

If you want to give heroes a better chance and play without feats, maybe you want to pick some avatar that isn't "deemed to be" too strong. Probably the Titan or whatever. If you all are new to the game, there is no reason to play with the feats as it will be hard for all sides and imho even harder for you "overall".

Incorrect. You keep saying this, giving people misinformation, but you have no facts to back it up. I guess it is your opinion though and you are definitely entitled to it. Feats are 100% necessary if you are playing with Treachery in the game to give the heroes a chance to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyce Mynoduesp
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for your input. I will try to take enough notes to put together a session log and post it as well. We shall see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing incorrect about what I said about feats. They do empower heroes. That's okay. But they do change the basic feel of the core engine (D1E) in a way that I and many others really dislike. They also add a lot more AP and this game is AP prone already. All "truthy" statements. You can still add feats but you can instead opt to let the heroes party pick from a much bigger set of heroes and skills and restrict yourself to very weak avatars. But you can for sure try that, pick the perfect hero party and the weakest avatar against that party and see if the party can manage without feats. It probably can.

The basic concept of hidden information and surprise elements really sucks as does IRL the discussion about "what you can do" based on hidden information (the whispering across the table starts - crap).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.