Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the designer ever playtested this, but would it really upset the game balance if you weren't required to discard the rest of your hand each round?

Maybe it would make the game easier, as you can keep one action card if you draw two and the extra would otherwise be wasted. Or maybe it would make the game harder, as it takes longer for the good cards to cycle back in your hand.

Whaddyathink?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you could lock yourself out of the game forever, if you are unlucky enough to only draw wound cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you should be allowed to discard cards, just not required to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are given the choice then I dare to say that this makes the game strictly easier, because it allows you to play by the standard rules or relax them as the whim of the moment requires.

Not a bad thing, by itself, obviously. You surely may gauge the difficulty in other ways.

Maybe you can decide to give the monster a power token per card you want to keep, or use some other form of compensation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play with that option, because some times we had this cool leftover hand that went to waste (e.g. nice attack combo, no monsters on the board)

but the only 2 times we playtested it decrease difficulty quite a bit, we were going to rebalance something else to counter. But we figured why damaging a game that we like - mostly - as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey beans.. cool, I subscribe to this thread, would look for your report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does it mean -- 'play a card sideways'? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
a_flying_possum wrote:

I think the idea is you'd be able to pay 1 prowess to reserve a card you have this turn for next turn.
If that's what it means, I'd propose that a cleaner version of that idea would be letting players pay 1 to put a non-Resource card back on top of their deck. While this idea would make it possible for players to screw themselves up by doing it and then drawing cards later, it's easy enough to just do it last-thing before Cleanup.
It certainly makes the purchase of extra Epic actions worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so now I'm really confused -- I thought Jeremy's idea of what sideways could mean (putting it back on the deck, or saving for future turns) made sense, but you said that is not what you meant ... and if you play a card 'not for its text' like a magic boost, then ... what exactly would a card played like that do? I still don't get it, sorry. Thanks in advance for trying to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
karishi wrote:
a_flying_possum wrote:

I think the idea is you'd be able to pay 1 prowess to reserve a card you have this turn for next turn.
If that's what it means, I'd propose that a cleaner version of that idea would be letting players pay 1 to put a non-Resource card back on top of their deck. While this idea would make it possible for players to screw themselves up by doing it and then drawing cards later, it's easy enough to just do it last-thing before Cleanup.
It certainly makes the purchase of extra Epic actions worthwhile.

That sounds like an interesting tweak.

I was thinking more along the lines of allowing the player to play any card (sideways) for 1 Prowess, instead of using the text on the card. Like how Spells can be played for a Magic instead of their normal use.

I love the extra layer of decision-making there, and yearn for that throughout the rest of the game (playing co-op, you run into that situation where an second player has an Explore to play? Or you bought a Frenzy early but don't have any wounds yet to make use of it? Now you could decide to play it for a Prowess, instead).

Definitely would make the game easier though and would need something strong to counterbalance it..

Anyways, it's pretty cool talking shop with the designer of the game, glad you are active here Jeremy

Reminds me of Thunderstone's system of including cash values on their action cards. I agree it's too powerful, providing two benefits that have synergy (you can buy piles of attacks easier, and having piles of attacks never slows you down).
Paying 1 to pocket a card until next turn feels fair. Could be a Skill later:
Forethought (3) Skill: Once per round, reveal the top card of your deck. You may discard it. Then you may put a card from in hand on top of your deck.
A little bit of burn/wound avoidance, or even skipping Prowess to get to your Heroism faster, and a way to get around those annoying little moments where you have 2 things but can't use them. That seems like a fair kit for the (1)/round cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Breden
United States
Independence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh okay -- I think I get what you are saying now.

Instead of using the card for text, it can *become* a 1-value prowess card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.