Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erasmus is playing the Allies in the mid-war. The Japanese own Guadalcanal and Port Moresby. Gili Gili has ground units that are out of supply. Marines are in range of Guadalcanal. (I think I was a teenager when I realized that Guadalcanal wasn't a canal).

First card play. Allies want to select counteroffensive. Guadalcanal is too loaded down with Japanese to meet the requirements for amphibious assault. The troops in Gili Gili can't move.

Does Erasmus attack Guadalcanal to reduce its strength, try to get Gili Gili back in supply, or move on to the next column (i.e. Strategic Direction).

I am finally getting to the point where I can ask good questions. So confused before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...going to take a guess on this one.

I have a feeling that the locations in that first box are so critical that the Allies should move against them no matter what. I think it would be a 2 card play - 1st card to whittle it down with a big air/naval and to set-up infantry/naval for the AA; next (or even the next one after that) card to go in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Erasmus is playing the Allies in the mid-war. The Japanese own Guadalcanal and Port Moresby. Gili Gili has ground units that are out of supply. Marines are in range of Guadalcanal. (I think I was a teenager when I realized that Guadalcanal wasn't a canal).

First card play. Allies want to select counteroffensive. Guadalcanal is too loaded down with Japanese to meet the requirements for amphibious assault. The troops in Gili Gili can't move.

Does Erasmus attack Guadalcanal to reduce its strength, try to get Gili Gili back in supply, or move on to the next column (i.e. Strategic Direction).

I am finally getting to the point where I can ask good questions. So confused before.

You are doing great and your "perseverance will further" you (I-Ching).

If the choice is between two objectives like this and neither can be immediately prosecuted, then you are into the 2 (plus) card set up rule. It would seem to me, without knowing what cards Erasmus is holding or the actual situation on the map, that an OC play whereby the Allies get an air unit into Gili-Gili coupled with an air attack (air/carrier attack) on G'canal would be a reasonable next move.

Once Gili-Gili is back in supply then I would advance some large US Army or Australian Corps toward Port Moresby, while continuing to hit Guadalcanal. If Guadalcanal is over defended then Erasmus will bypass it for now as he will not make a suicide attack (one where losing a PW is likely).

Does that make sense in your current game situation?

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does make sense. I don't know when to give up on Guadalcanal though. It seems like Erasmus will either keep hammering at it or bypass it, what causes Erasmus to give up on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
It does make sense. I don't know when to give up on Guadalcanal though. It seems like Erasmus will either keep hammering at it or bypass it, what causes Erasmus to give up on it?

It never gives up per se, it just ignores making an attempt to capture until it is possible. In the meantime it prosecutes other things it can do, which may cause the JP to evacuate at some point, making it possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would trying to put it out of supply rather than attacking it directly make sense for the bot? If the Japanese player, DrMark, keeps pumping stuff onto the island, he's probably making the periphery weaker.

That would let the bot continue to respect the spirit of the chart result without a direct attack.

Just thinking about this makes me feel like putting work off for a while and playing a few cards in my game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
Would trying to put it out of supply rather than attacking it directly make sense for the bot? If the Japanese player, DrMark, keeps pumping stuff onto the island, he's probably making the periphery weaker.

That would let the bot continue to respect the spirit of the chart result without a direct attack.

Just thinking about this makes me feel like putting work off for a while and playing a few cards in my game.

The good news is you are clearly moving up the learning curve. Erasmus can move into the strategic direction mode to capture a weak Bougainville which is an important position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
MarkHerman wrote:
peterk1 wrote:

The good news is you are clearly moving up the learning curve. Erasmus can move into the strategic direction mode to capture a weak Bougainville which is an important position.

Is it ever! Discovered that on my game (though there, JP Erasmus put an air flotilla in Bougainville after neutralizing the air in Guadalcanal). Love how the strategic importance of various locations gradually becomes apparent as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.