Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the introductory set up and am now looking for my second game against one of my regular gaming friends. I have the base set plus skeleton lesser, mind flayer lesser, half-Orc fighter greater & purple worm paragon beast. Can any experienced players suggest TWO balanced decks from this limited supply.
Thanks
Bookwormral meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E S
msg tools
Re: Advice needed on building my first deck
"Generic Deck"

In some ways it depends on how many dice you have for each card. But given what you have, here is a pretty reasonably balanced deck (IMO).

Action cards: Resurrection, Magic Missile

3 Lesser Halfling (2 mask)
3 Lesser Skeleton (2 mask)
3 Minion Paladin (3 shield)
3 Master Gelatinous Cube (3 shield)
3 Apprentice Blue Dragon (4 bolt)
2 Minion Troll (4 fist)
2 Apprentice Green Dragon (5 fist)
1 Paragon Purple Worm (7 fist)

I must say, I don't like the distribution of the different types of energy in this deck. With your 2-energy and 3-energy cards being the same energy as each other (and none of them being the same as your 7-energy card), you could possibly get stuck with some useless rolls and your odds of ever seeing the purple worm are pretty low. But if that happens, a Resurrection die or Magic Missile die is not a bad purchase.

Strategy; personally I'd try to get a Blue Dragon and 2 Halflings into your used pile in the first two turns. Then I'd buy a couple magic missile dice (if you can, use the Res global so you don't waste the 4th die) and try and get my halflings experience using the combination of magic missile and dragon breath. However, another possibility is to buy the Cube or Paladin on turn 1, using Resurrection's Global ability to add a 5th dice to your round two pool, and buy the Green on round two. Alternating 3-energy + Res global purchases with Green Dragon purchases would be pretty effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E S
msg tools
Re: Advice needed on building my first deck
"Advanced Strategy deck"

This one is a bit harder to play but offers some good defense, and can also allow you to win if you find yourself and your opponent in an army-building stalemate.

Action Cards: Charm, Polymorph

3 Lesser Skeleton (2 mask)
3 Apprentice Halfling (3 mask)
3 Apprentice Vampire (4 mask)
3 Apprentice Blue Dragon (4 bolt)
2 Master Troll (5 fist)
2 Minion Beholder (6 mask)
2 Master Green Dragon (6 fist)
2 Paragon Purple Worm (7 fist)

Strategy: buy a Charm die 1st round. On round two, by another Charm die. Yes you heard me right. If that's too scary or your opponent has successfully bought a bunch of low-energy characters already, you can try and buy 2 lesser skeletons on round two instead. On round 3 or 4 you should get your charm dice, and this should allow you to purchase the Beholder (if you are not in trouble) or a Green Dragon (if you are). DO NOT ATTACK. Instead, purchase and field characters to block and keep buying and using Action dice and let the beholder hit your opponent for damage every time you do. It goes without saying that you want to reroll action dice energy faces and use their effect faces as much as you can. The charm dice should allow you to get your bigger beasties out pretty fast, but again, keep up a good wall o' characters and just keep pinging away at your opponent with the beholder's special ability. At some point, you may be able to finish your opponent off in one fell swoop by (1) using a bunch of action dice (2) while your blue dragon is in play, (3) preventing your opponent from blocking, and thus (4) allowing you to attack with everything you've got for a heapin' helpin' of damage.

Couple a notes:
1. If your opponent's deck contains a red dragon, use its global every chance you get. It combos spectacularly with an active Beholder.
2 Don't forget to use polymorph both defensively (to trade one of your active skeletons for a used pile dragon or beholder) and offensively (to trade one of your opponent's big characters for one of their weenies)
3. If they brought resurrection to the table, remember to use its global to your advantage. With this deck, its almost always better to have a 3-die roll one round and a 5-die roll the next rather than 4 dice each round.
4. Don't be too afraid to block with the beholder, even though its kind of the keystone to this deck. It's fielding cost is low and blocked characters have a 75% chance of coming back the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both very exciting decks, thanks for the ideas.

What I need for my next game is to build two decks with this limited stock of cards to play against my friend.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E S
msg tools
Bookwormral wrote:
Both very exciting decks, thanks for the ideas.

What I need for my next game is to build two decks with this limited stock of cards to play against my friend.

Richard

Both those decks use only the starter set plus two of the three additional cards you said you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bookwormral Bookwormral
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh I see, you have allocated different levels to each deck to make it work. I only have the starter set set only 2 dice for each card set

Thanks I will try them this week
R
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.