La Granja» Forums » General

Subject: "La Granja" and... the others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I DO love farming simulation games... they're ones of my favorites! I'm a true fan of Uwe and his creations - "Agricola", "Caverna" and "Fields Of Arle". For me, he is the Master and the Father on this specific category.
So, when I saw "La Granja" for first time, on a Rahdo's runthrough, something "bumped" into me. "Now, THIS is something different..." I thought; "...an other approach on this type of games!"
From yesterday, I'm one of the lucky owners of "La Granja" - hey! here's Greece, so, in our days, IT IS a big deal to find and purchase a board game that you really want! I won't tell you if "La Granja" is worst or better in comparison to Uwe's titles... I'll just tell you why someone to choose "La Granja" over the "antagonism", what this game adds to the generation and what more has to offer.
If, at the end, you realize or you think that I prefer this title over the others, well... you say that! I didn't say anything!

I choose "La Granja" because:
- I want to produce (at last!) topical, Mediterranean products: wine from grapes, olive oil... And I want small pink pigs in my farm! (Cows and cattle are so "northern" for me...)
- I want ('cause I like) realism: How many farmers have access to lakes, rivers, or the sea itself, being able to fish? People in my country say: "A farmer is a farmer and a fisher is a fisher".
- I want to keep safe and deposit any money I have left from my business: Yes, at the Bank... And - guess! - the game has a bank, as a "crafting building", among the others! (Besides, that's exactly what a true farmer does!)
- I want flexibility (part A): I want to focus entirely on 1-2 methods of playing and doing business. Maybe I want to have a lot of fields; perhaps, I want to be "The King of Cured Meat", making ham and bacon; or, I want to deliver exclusively in the market stalls.
- I want flexibility (part B): I want to be able to buy, sell and exchange anything, anytime! ("Hmmm... I'll give this, I'll take these, I'll sell them to upgrade that and add it on the wheelbarrow. Perfect!)
- I want flexibility (part C): The one that multifunctional cards can give me... Extensions on fields, farms, extra deliveries, income... even on my cards hand limit!
- I want to be awarded for my efforts: I managed to deposit X amount of coins at the Bank; So, now, I have a standard income on each round! Or, I've done to fulfill the requirements of that craft building and, from now on, I can benefit!
- I want interaction: Fighting for the best places in the market, it's pretty cool and adds a lot to the game - even it sounds simple and not so necessary.
- I want to keep secret my VPs: So, I never put hands down (if I'm below at the score table) and I never be "inactivated" (if I'm heading on the track).
- I want to have and feel and try a FULL farming experience: And "La Granja" is a real guarantee! Well... at least for me!

Edit: rose pigs??? Pink pigs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio
Italy
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Very good point.
Now, how about some comparison between la Granja and other (even non farming) games?
Nice post anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chironis wrote:
Very good point.
Now, how about some comparison between la Granja and other (even non farming) games?
Nice post anyway.

OK, pal! You asked for it! I'll try...
Well, obviously, I can't make a "straight" comparison; it's impossible! (Besides, it won't be fair... you understand me, right?)
So, I will mention two things: A mistake (and/or a misunderstanding) and an innovation!
The Mistake / Misunderstanding
"La Granja" is NOT a worker placement game! Not at all! (So, this is a false characterization).
And now, the innovation:
In fact, there are NO actions in "La Granja". Actually, there is a procedure that players follow - but sure, you'll never feel "limited"!
The only "thing" that is closest to "actions" (the way we mean them) is the second phase of the round, the "Revenue Phase". Here, you can have some "bonus" which they depend from dice rolls and you can choose the ones that suit and help you better...
...And that's all!
For me, the strongest (and the best) part of the game, and the one that you have to manage, if you want to succeed, is its flexibility and its free "maneuvers"; the ability to handle your resources by purchasing, selling, exchanging and upgrading them. If you master this, then you'll master the game too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.