Subject: Thought provoking TED talk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: shame_on_twitter [+] [View All]
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching TED talks for a long long time now. Normally when I have 20/30 min to spare while I'm commuting or waiting for something/someone. In light of the recent discussions/backlash/counter backlash/neo-counter backlash etc regarding the Table Top problems, I thought this talk was oddly relevant and therefore should share it:

Jon Ronson: What happens when online shaming spirals out of control #TED : http://on.ted.com/h15r3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Social Media is far to new a concept to approach things in a responsible way. It will get far worse in the near future before we learn lessons worth creating social norms about it. This power struggle had just begun. Unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ronson's book on the topic is well worth a read. He spends a lot of time with notoriously shamed twitter/social media users, spends time going over the nitty gritty of what happened to them, etc. There's no real solutions offered other than 'don't engage' but it's definitely readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the quote that today's life starts to feel more and more like a John Carpenter movie from the 80s. He's onto something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.